Performance Issues – Decent Spec Rig.

Home Forums Support Performance Issues – Decent Spec Rig.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    FX2K
    Participant

I posted this on steam forums, but thought I would mirror it (sort of) here.

I have a decent spec rig (below) and when I get to beyond the e 90’s in game it runs at 5-10 FPS for the most part.

Unplayable to say the least, with the mouse cursor lagging, choppy animation etc etc.

As a test I sold all my trains / trucks and deleted all my lines, to see how it would improve the performance.  It made zero difference.  I didn’t expect this if I am honest.

I set graphics to the lowest / highest… still an average of about 15fps regardless of the viewpoint.  I get more FPS by using a top down view and zooming right out, then it can get to the highs of 30 (examples below)

So, Im taking a guess at it being the population and/or the increased number of assets by this year, such as more buildings, roads and trees.   As a point of reference on a highly populated map in CIM2, I get a smooth 60fps, regardless of what I do with the camera.  In TF, rotating the camera has become a chore.

I have enjoyed this game a lot, but at 5-10fps I can’t bring myself to continue.

My Specs:

i7-3970x running @ 4ghz  (overclocked, stock, no hyperthreading, hyperthreading.. tested)
    16GB Ram
    Intel SSD
    Titan Z (latest drivers, sli on/off.. tested)
    Windows 8.1 Pro

Also tried on iMac 27″ i7, 16gb ram, 1tb fusion drive, GTX780M in bootcamp with Win7, as expected, its slightly worse.

Just a few more tests I did and whilst I do have mods, I have also removed all of them, re-installed the game and cleared the texture_cache so it regenerates too, but nothing changes, FPS is erratic and poor on average.  So its not the mod’s at fault.

Here are some different views with very different and fairly consistent results.

@ 93FPS – In the open
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43105420638003496/A0BD86517CF77AAB4D76543739BD488B4A1AE8A3/

@ 33FPS – approaching a station
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43105420637996002/9AB46A2BA4ADDB3EB0C8FFEC5BAC3152E04A1B25/

@ 21fps – different area, slighly more angle.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43105420638298138/608F115A3934CEE9233C2EC352E837D6E3BB115B/

@ 13fps – zoomed out more with horizon in view.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43105420638313785/E32E10C638A883E260C1D563CED73412BADE0320/

FPS doesnt change much when playing at these views, aside from the monthly transactions and auto save causing a minor drop.  Changing game speed has around 5fps effect from slowest to fastest too.

Oh and CPU usage is at 10% on average whilst playing.

I give up for now.  Shame because I like the game it just performs terrible late game.

FX2K
    Participant

This may be irrelevant, although odd… but in my folder:

C:\Steam\userdata\32529839\304730\local\crash_dump\

I have a stderr.txt file which contains the following, multiple times:

This is not my folder or the drive I use, obviously showing a dev folder or something?!?
    I have no D:\urban\ folder.

d:\urban\steam_build_x64\release\src\game\transport\path_util.cpp:48: Verification of `dist > .0f’ failed (0 <= 0).

d:\urban\steam_build_x64\release\src\game\procedural\buildings\buildingtyperep.cpp:292: Verification of `false’ failed.

d:\urban\steam_build_x64\release\src\game\transport\path_util.cpp:48: Verification of `dist > .0f’ failed (-2.34693e-007 <= 0).

d:\urban\steam_build_x64\release\src\game\transport\path_util.cpp:48: Verification of `dist > .0f’ failed (0 <= 0).

d:\urban\steam_build_x64\release\src\game\procedural\buildings\buildingtyperep.cpp:292: Verification of `false’ failed.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by FX2K.
    bencze
    Participant

I never actually checked any statistics, but I wonder if there is a cpu core that goes up to 100%? I remember someone mentioning that for the main game flow one core is used, the rest is used for minor stuff only.

I get real low fps late game too. Now playing a small map but it’s still starting to feel in the 70s (on an i5-2400 myself).

Traian Trante
    Participant

Late game, yes, it become a lag fest for me as well.

Traian Trante
    Participant

I suspect it’s all the people driving cars, btw.

Yeol
    Participant

I don’t know. What is the difference between a little person on the sidewalk, or a car on the street in rendering time?

I think it the growing cities and line-building that make the difference. There are more of those little people out there during the late game, plus all vehicle the player has build over the last 150 years of game time.

FX2K
    Participant

I doubt it being caused by agents / number of player vehicles / lines, since I have deleted all my vehicles and no noticable change to performance.  I expected a different result there.

Also, if it where the agent simulation, then the low FPS should persist no matter where I am looking.  As you can see, looking at an almost empty field yields very high FPS.  A developed town, very low FPS by comparison.  All in the same game / save.

SFG
    Participant

Yes also for me a very impressive Lag-Festival 🙂 and it doenst matter if you got 1 line or 100 Lines running the lag keeps on when the towns grow up.

Breaking down steeets results in very low traffic by cars and the result is that the perfomance isnt better but if you should break down a hole City the result is a perfomance boost. Small Map or big map didnt make a Change because sooner or later the Citys will grow up and the Lag-Festival will begin ….

Citys around 1000+ People  let the game get laggy …… unplayable laggy………..and as well this is not a new Problem.

So what should we do? wait i guess and hope that there is way to fix it ….otherwise we cant Play this game 🙂

greetings Markus

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by SFG.
    SFG
    Participant

+ 1 🙂

RonMaster
    Participant

Same problem here, after 1950’s ish it’s unplayable for me. (i play high speed constantly). It plays for 20 sec., lag-  5sec, play 20 sec, lag 5 sec,  etc. etc. etc. Hope they’ll fix it soon!

FX2K
    Participant

I started yet another new game, FPS was on average around 45 fps until 1950’s where it now exhibits the very low fps drops and gets worse as time goes on…

Using a similar angle to the last screenshot above…..in my current save, so 1950’s not 2020 I get results similar to:

If the camera is positioned in a relatively empty field I can get as high as 125 FPS
    If I open a single vehicle window, it drops to 85 FPS
    If I close that and open the lines menu, it drops to 43FPS… that’s some major FPS drop for one window.

If the camera is positioned over a town (same sort of angle) I get 32 FPS
    If I open a single vehicle window, it drops to 26 FPS
    If I close that and open the lines menu, it drops to 15FPS

A moving camera, i.e following a train can be high’s of 80 in the open and lows of 20 when nearing / in a town, with no other windows open.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    mikael

Performance is one of our top issues to be solved.
    We’re working on performance optimization in the near future.
    There’s always potential to get some more fps and we’re trying to get it better with every update. 

reijnemans
    Participant

Hi Mikael, could you tel us when the next patch wil come? this week? next week? next month

mikael

It comes when it’s done. The first one could be ready this week.
    The changelog will be updated as soon as the patch is ready.

ride
    Participant

What I’ve noticed with my 670 Ti video card is that the game does not use it completely. Temperatures hardly go up and Afterburner shows GPU usage of about 50%. I’m expecting one big error somewhere in the coding, because the game becomes practically unplayable in the later stages of the game (1960+) 1o FPS @ 2560×1440 is trash for a game with this low of required specs. Turning off all the graphical options in the settings doesnt do alot as well.

I have a 970 on the way and I’ll see if that fixes anything, but I’m guessing its a programming error somewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.