Platform length and interference

Home Forums General Discussion Platform length and interference

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DK115
    Participant

On a station when a train is coming from south, it is interferimg with another train on a different line on the same platform arriving from the north. Which I personally think it is stupid in itself. To me I think it should be possible to use a 1-platform station in B, and createva A>B line and a B>C line using this station and have no interference in B.

But does the platform length makes any difference here? And if not, what is the purpose of long(er) platforms? And the length of the train?

• This topic was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by DK115.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by DK115.
    Bastargre
    Participant

what i indeed would like to see is a station with an a-side and a b-side. so you can have 2 different lines on the same platform

FX2K
    Participant

@DK115

You can set up A>B and B>C lines with no interference using a single track and single track stations, although both trains cannot enter the station at the same time, using signals you can control the spacing so they alternate nicely.

This may sound ignorant of me, but its a genuine question… do you have single platform stations which accept two trains at the same time where you are from?  I don’t think I have ever seen that.

DK115
    Participant

This is interference: “although both trains cannot enter the station at the same time”

It is happening all the time in the Netherlands/. We have in almost all stations an A & B side.  Used for trains from south and north at the same time.

What even happens is arriving two trains coming from south, both enetering the same platform, one at A side, one at B side. And with a switch in the middle the train in the back can leave earlier then the train in front.

Using a platform for only half for a train from the north (or south) is even showing in Train Fever. At least the colored line representing a line is stopping halfway(!) a station.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by DK115.
    Roanoss
    Participant

Other people in an other topic said that the platform length = people could wait inside.

So, on a 160 meters long platform only 160 people can wait at the same time, even if it has 1 tracks or 5 tracks…  this part of the story sounds a bit strange.

Bastargre
    Participant

Roanoss. it is 160 people for each track. so a 5 track-160m station has a maximum waiting capacity of  800 (160 for each track)

NLTops
    Participant

I would actually prefer it if we could lay down a seperate station hall.
    And be able to snap platforms against straight pieces of track. Would make inline stations so much easier.
    Station hall and platforms are mysteriously connected with a tunnel (like they are now).
    But I’m just dreamin’.

Also, on the Dutch A/B platforms. It happens more often that two trains linked together stop at an A/B platform, and then disconnect and both head to different destinations. You are right in that the platforms are created so that either the front or the back train can leave first. But it’s usually not two trains coming from opposite directions because of the danger of a collision. This only happens on the stations with a long platform length.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by NLTops.
    Roanoss
    Participant

Bastargre , oh did you see that working? I believe you if you yes, for me so far did not work it out yet… :/ I have a 240m long, 5 tracks platform in my main city and never seen more than 240 people on the station at the same time. It is always stopping aroind 210-220 people. Maybe then later on (I’m in 2020), with more population I will see the number crossed.

Cornughon
    Participant

I like this idea, but it should go hand-in-hand with better station customization. Most stations (indeed in the Netherlands) which have an a- and b-side on a single platform also have a parallel track to the platform track so trains are allowed to pass waiting trains in front of them by diverting to that track. This is done in this case by using crossover switches located halfway along a platform. Larger stations with multiple platforms often have a third track lying between the platform tracks for this purpose (among other things).

The RedKing
    Participant

Above anything else, performance should be improved. The game becomes unplayable now, which makes users stop playing at all. Furthermore, potential buyers could get scared off by all the remarks about this in the forums.

I like the above ideas, but this won’t enable me to keep playing.

I still have full confidence in the DEV-team but time is ticking.

dj_jay_smith
    Participant

@FX2K

Its also happens in the UK.  1 Platform split into ‘A’ and ‘B’ and two seperate trains going in different directions.

NLTops
    Participant

@blintjens

Please stay on-topic. Performance is a known top priority for the devs and you including that matter in another conversation is off-topic and adds nothing to the discussion.

As for why I’m actually posting in this thread.

You’ll all be happy to hear the first step to more station customization is in the works. The patch notes note one of the things they’re working on (hopefully in the next release; also on the way to waypoints) is station platform selection for lines. This should allow for much more intricate networks. Divided platforms is a simple step from there.

A train servicing one line, and then splitting into two trains to service two different routes is probably a lot harder to achieve so I wouldn’t expect this for some time.

The RedKing
    Participant

True, sorry for that. I meant to say I agree with yout ideas but my frustration got the better of me I gues.

Maj_Solo
    Participant

two trains using same track and platform coming in at the same time is done in Sweden. This is done if platform is long enough / trains are short enough, and this is the end station for both trains, and borh drivers walk to the other end of the train, and drive away in the direcrion they came from.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.