Preliminary Feedback

Home Forums General Discussion Preliminary Feedback

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tablemat
    Participant

I’d like to say that the purpose of this thread is to give a little feedback in what we have seen, all of which i hope we recognise is still in development. However, despite testing and beta’s some oddities always manage to slip under the radar, usually because they’re not particularly important. Please feel free to rename the thread if you feel it might give premature confusion.

With that in mind, i’d like to start it off with a simple flag, as it were.

Pavements/Sidewalks

From the screenshots and video seen thus far, the sidewalks/pavements are too wide. They currently appear to take upto 60% of a roads total width, instead of say ~30-40%.

pschlik
    Participant

I think the devs already understand this, but smoke/steam is really unrealistic at this point. The color is off, at least the cylinder cock steam should be white, and the main smokestack should have darker smoke. Speaking of the cylinder cocks, they should only be opened the first moments after a locomotive starts from a complete stop, and the puffs should be synchronized with piston movement and the ‘chug’ of the locomotive, as should the main smokestack, it seems that it constantly emits a huge plume of smoke, even when the locomotive isn’t actually releasing steam (AKA, when it is stopped.) Overall, the steam/smoke lasts far too long, compare any real steam locomotive photo to one of the screenshots and that is definite, it also doesn’t puff up as much as real steam would. And, finally, there is no whistle steam.

Of course, as I said, I believe that the devs understand this, but I had to put all of this in since it doesn’t appear that the issue has been fully addressed in any of the recent screenshots (although one of the screenshots of the Class 218 features smoke, which already looks good, as far as I can tell.) Although smoke and steam don’t change gameplay directly, it is a detail that should be considered since you see so much of the stuff, so the more realistic it is, the better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

From the screenshots and video seen thus far, the sidewalks/pavements are too wide. They currently appear to take upto 60% of a roads total width, instead of say ~30-40%.

Well, as I understand, 2-lines roads has a wide pavements, because roads can be upgrade to 4-lines, and in this case pavements becomes normal, but general width of road don’t change.

You can see it on this screen. Right road has 4 lines and normal pavements.

Sandroluzern
    Participant

The color is off, at least the cylinder cock steam should be white, and the main smokestack should have darker smoke.

Since it’s steam that comes out of the cylinder cocks it should be white indeed but I think the colour of the smoke is quite realistic. I compared it with pictures, I took from Swiss steam engines in motion, which also show that the smoke isn’t always the same. The main thing I would complain about is that the color changes while it puffs up.

Same engine, same day:

So I think we could live with a slightly changed smoke since the smoke is quite diffrent from situation to situation (weather, engine state). Maybe the developers could give us the chance to change the appearance of smoke for each locomotive.

pschlik
    Participant

The main thing I would complain about is that the color changes while it puffs up.

Good point.

So I think we could live with a slightly changed smoke since the smoke is quite diffrent from situation to situation (weather, engine state). Maybe the developers could give us the chance to change the appearance of smoke for each locomotive.

Exactly, my opinions were coming from the American perspective where things might be different, too.

Oddant1
    Participant

What I would like to see in Train Fever is something that of a “sandbox mode” where all vehicles are either always available or never become obsolete, as well as no money in the mode, too.

Another thing I want to see is really long passages of time, or being able to select how fast time goes.

Also, of course, expansion packs or something for different nations, with modding capabilities too.

gutterball
    Participant

the colour of the smoke will change with the state of the fire. as you add fuel the smoke will be darker and as the fuel burns the smoke will get lighter.

Derek
    Participant

I think in the long run the more we get the word out about this, the more people will become aware of the potential it has..although no one has mentioned yet how it will be distributed,Steam Maybe…?

pschlik
    Participant

I think in the long run the more we get the word out about this, the more people will become aware of the potential it has..although no one has mentioned yet how it will be distributed,Steam Maybe…?

The devs have said that they will be distributing the game on Steam and in boxed form. Other sites might potentially sell Train Fever, but Steam is the only online provider confirmed as of now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.