Profitability of Intercity road Line setup

Home Forums General Discussion Profitability of Intercity road Line setup

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vinkandoi
    Participant

Hi guys

The first road or tram line running through the center of the town to the station is profitable (upto 60% line usage)

The second line running vertical to the first line to some other areas (lets say lesure) is a little more than break even (upto 70 to 85 % line usage)

The third line is always a loss even if the town has expanded.

What are you views?

Bastargre
    Participant

its important to have the lines connect different zones. so a line only going through a residential area will gain less profit then a line going form residential via leisure via commercial to industry.

in a large city i usually let my lines begin at the trainstation and have 4 lines (2 pairs) each pair servicing about half of the city and each having 1/2 stops per area (residential/commercial/leisure/industry). of each pair one goes clockwise and the other counterclockwise. this way i get profits from those lines

i view these innercity lines as feeders for my railway network and as a way to let the city grow which increase cargo demand and thus profit on the cargo lines

Mordeth65
    Participant

Expect loss’s on some intra-city routes are my thoughts.    I generally have 3-4 intra-city routes for my hub city.  They hover at a loss or just at the profit line.    Their only job is to move people to my intercity stops.    My intercity routes are my gravy train.     Though, I use trams rather then trains.

Theo20185
    Participant

My setup is this:

1. Create a bus route between two cities that are short distance from each other. Put bus stations on the outside of the city. Add enough stagecoaches so that the frequency is between 60 and 90 seconds.

2. Create a tram line from the city center to a tram station next to the bus station. Put enough trams on the line so that the frequency is between 60 and 90 seconds.

Expect the first year to have a loss. After that, you should be profitable. I found that 60 second frequencies on mass transit lines are good (at least on easy) in order to get lots of traffic on the line. Residents should only walk to where I don’t have trams running. I found that a 60 second frequency on the trams turned an unprofitable line into one exploding with traffic. It also jump started my bus lines. When I had a 4 minute frequency on a stagecoach line, hardly anyone was using it. When the frequency dropped to 78 seconds, I soon had 50 people waiting at the station.

If I get enough intercity bus routes going (1 short hop between cities, I use railroads for city connections that are farther), I can wind up having four bus stations in a hub city, all on the outside. In those cases, I will extend my tram line from the city center so that the tram starts in one corner, moves through the entire city, and winds up at the other corner station.

I use separate tram and bus stations because I have so many vehicles on the line in the early days that using the same station (even a large station) can cause bottlenecks. Horse trams can have up to 10 trams on one line to keep the frequency as close to 1 minute as possible. As they get upgraded to the electric trams, I can have 2 vehicles on the line while keeping the frequency at 60 seconds.

I’ll take screenshots of my intercity tram routes for you:

Example tram routes

This was taken before I started putting each line on its own station. As you can see, all my intercity tram routes are profitable. The only trams not profitable are my shuttles (Tram/Bus Station to Rail Station, not enough traffic). All of my bus routes are wildly profitable save one.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Theo20185.
    Theo20185
    Participant

Picture seems to be broken. Here’s the link: http://i.imgur.com/K4aXqEQ.jpg

vinkandoi
    Participant

Thanks Bastargre Mordeth65Theo20185

I don’t really follow a specific rule, First I create a line running through the town center to a train station (its a straight line going through differenct zones). Then second line is dynamic: straight or circular loop.

I am able to achive 90 to 92% line usage at maximum.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.