Progress of Game and Performace issues

Home Forums General Discussion Progress of Game and Performace issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    twofl
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m playing on a large map right now, with a network of nearly all towns conected and a line setup of 50 lines. The number of trains per trainlines is by 2 per line, tramline at 3-4 and truckline at 4-7. I think i have more than 150 vehicle moving around.

The performace is droping, but it is still running smothly, more or less.

My issue now is, what will happen in the future. I’m currently in the year of 1940 and about to change the linesystem one by one with electricrails. I’m planing of adding up all trainline to be a set of 4-5 big lines adding 4-6 towns togather. But from my experience, i need to add more trains with very fast speed to overcome the car problem. so I will end up with less lines and more vehicle and my game will transform into a low fps struckling game.

I thought my pc will handle this hugh task. Has anyone the same issue or is my assumption about the future wrong?

I don’t want to abandon that game. πŸ™

And please do not ask me about the whole vehicle change thing.

.__________.

higgins
    Participant

There is definitely a performance problem later in the game. Even after setting every possible graphics option to the low and playing the medium sized terrain only. Sometimes it seems to be triggered by events, i.e. each time I’m buying new vehicles from a depot, the game freezes for a few seconds after the first buy, but not after the second, third,… purchase. Sometimes it seems to happen just out of the blue.

nickos111
    Participant

I play with hundreds of vehicles on a medium map. Ive got i7 3,4GHz, 8 gb ram, 8gb virtual memory but still it freezes at times.

For instance, when i replace an old line with new vehicles and i buy a bunce of them at one time, the game slows down massively.

mackintosh
    Participant

It does get worse later on. I’m around 2100 now, some 40 lines running, hundreds of vehicles and trains and it’s pretty much a slideshow, though it’s still playable, as long as I don’t move around too much πŸ˜€

twofl
    Participant

Something needs testing.

i’ve got my game running with 3 windows open. Money Balance, Line Menu, Land Use. While playing, i realised, with aktive menues you get a drop of your frames. But it also can be a coincidence. Also, i played on window mode. i will change that now and do some fps testing.

higgins
    Participant

It’s especially the line menu. My current game has about 150 lines and becomes unplayable with the line menu on. Even if I switch to “visible lines only”, this has no effect to make things better. As this even happens if you scroll to an area where ther are no lines at all visible, the game stalls. So my guess is that it’s not a graphics memory issue but a generell issue with the game code doing a gazillion calculations with those 150 lines in the background once the line menu is visible, which then stalls the game.

twofl
    Participant

I also noticed, that when i open the Money Balance window, the game stucks for a moment and it shows old balance history and then jumps to the right ones. So, my gues is, when you openΒ  a window with a buch of calculated numbers, the game will then refresh those numbers and calculate them in realtime, which is good, but with a line and vehicle number with more then 100 it strucks game performance.

jimutt
    Participant

What hardware are you guys running? Would be nice to know until later when I’m going to expand my network πŸ˜‰

mackintosh
    Participant

4930K i7 @4,0Ghz , 16GB RAM, 3-way GTX 670 SLI (obviously in single card mode at the moment) and running TF off an SSD

jimutt
    Participant

Well then I believe that the game might need some performance optimizations. Because I really don’t think you should be having any issues with that setup. Let’s just hope for some better optimization, because after all I think most player’ss goal is to create a really big and functional network. And then it’s a bit sad to be limited by performance. Though based on the simulation engine in the game I’m not very surprised if it becomes CPU heavy with a lot of lines running.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by jimutt.
    twofl
    Participant

after a bit of testing, fps drops when:

window with calcuated number is open

when you wide area is visible via camera and runningcost numbers and income numbers are poping up.

mackintosh
    Participant

All sims are invariably CPU hogs. It doesn’t matter how powerful your CPU might be, it will get bogged down, even if it doesn’t appear to be stressed (I never see it going above 50% on any cores). I’m guessing some of the slowdown is due to textures. My 670s are only 2GB and TF is offloading a truckload of textures into the swap file. I’ve started using some rolling stock and repaint mods and this is obviously adding to the texture load. Having said that, this game does need performance optimisation. I’d go as far as saying it hasn’t been optimised much at all.

GeoffersH
    Participant

Can’t comment just yet, only got back from holiday today and have just downloaded the game. Up to press, I am still plodding around with horses in 1850, but the game runs smooth so far. lol

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by GeoffersH.
    twofl
    Participant

was there an update?

now my game crushes on those conditions:

running on max gamespeed and have at least to windows open with calculation numbers.Β πŸ™

Jayden
    Participant

@twofl: Same for me. In general the game is running quite ok, I’m having something around 60-30 fps, as long as I don’t open any dialog windows. But when I open the lines dialog, it instantly drops from 60 to 15 fps. The vehicles dialog is the same. The other dialog windows from the bottom left menu also have a negative influence on the fps. I have about 300 vehicles running and this seems to become worse the more you have. So there must be something wrong with windows that contain calculation numbers, as you said.

Buying new vehicles is also a killer. The purchase dialog brings it down from 60 to 40 fps. Then with every vehicle bought one of those “picture in picture” windows opens up, which results in a drop of another 2-4 fps. Then after buying about 10 vehicles it becomes unplayable slow. I’d love to see an option to switch off that “picture in picture” thingy. Or even better, an option to switch it off in general an a button in every window to enable it in on demand.

Hope they find the reason why the game gets so slow under these conditions. It really kills the fun for me :/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.