Reduced intervals:trains end up following each other

Home Forums General Discussion Reduced intervals:trains end up following each other

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vinkandoi
    Participant

I have a railway line ABCB, there are 5 trains running on it. But after a time, there is very little time interval between these trains. As a consequence a station is not served by a train for a long time and is overcrowded at one time and has no passengers when the train arrives one after the other, leaving the trains empty.

It seems there is no equal time interval between vehicles

gietek
    Participant

Use signals but not too often. Between station A and B place one signal just after the station A and one in between the stations. Do it both ways. I don’t recommend building one track loops as this only creates problems. Trains get stuck, etc. I always use two tracks for passenger lines.

A – – – -< – – – S – – – <- – – S B – – <- – – S – – -< – – S C

A S – – -> – – – S – – – >- – – B S – – >- – – S – – – -> – – C

where S are signals.

This doesn’t ensure that all trains will be distributed evenly in time but they will not follow each other. They will wait till the previous one is half way to the next station.

If you want them to be each at one station at a time then don’t place the signals half way between stations. (I haven’t checked this version but will do in my next game).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by gietek.
    vinkandoi
    Participant

Thanks a lot @gietek, that was really helpful.

I had been using this layout in OTTD long time ago. Just forgot it.

leew
    Participant

Yep, I space out my signals to try and prevent train bunching, it works to a point but becomes difficult with complex networks when tracks are shared by multiple lines such as running passenger and freight trains on the same sections of track thus some way of forcing a train to wait at a station until x mins after the departure of the previous train would be very welcome.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by leew.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.