Ships, Planes and Helicopters?

Home Forums General Discussion Ships, Planes and Helicopters?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Priyon
    Participant

Hi everyone. šŸ™‚

Looking so far, the game seems to be going in the right direction. I really love the railroads and other things we have seen till yet. I’ll have to say, kudos to the developers for such a marvelous work.

But one thing bothers me – we still have not seen one of the biggest and oldest methods of transporting people and goods from one place to another: SHIPS.

In many of the older games listed in the genre history from where the developers may have taken inspiration, there were ships. They formed important links between areas, especially with large rivers and seas. The huge water bodies which cannot be bridged require ships to load the goods on, and then send off to the other port which needs the good.

Coastlines need to be reworked a lot, though, looking at the screenshots. Maybe beaches, smoother terrain, etc. make a good game.

It also presents interesting possibilities and ease for the player. Say, there is a huge sea on one side of the map (maybe created by the player using a possible map editor?) and there are cities not far from the coast. So, the player might build a port on both sides, transport the goods to one port using railway or trucks, load them onto a ship and then send that ship off to the other port, where the goods will be unloaded and then picked up by the trucks which will carry them off to the city? Many more things can be done.

On that note, we come to PLANES. I haven’t seen a plane or airport in any description or screenshot yet. It is certainly important for moving passengers in the late-game if the maps are going to be as large as SimCity 4’s regions. In Transport Giant, helicopter also formed a method of transport in the late game (though not as important as aeroplanes). Is air transport going to be in the game?

Axel Springer
    Participant

Hi,

i think: first of all are trains, because TRAIN Fever šŸ™‚

Planes, helicopter, ships:

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/what-about-air/#post-1187

And i think first trains, trucks, etc. and later planes etc. will be fine

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Totally agree,Ā I would love to see a future upgrade with planes and airfields. helicopters and helipads,Ā ships and docks, oil rigs etc.

Mansen
    Participant

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/what-about-air/

“In the first release and the first DLC weā€™re not going to add planes or helicopters. It could be possible to be added in a late DLC. Our main focus is to give the players an innovative and userfriendly train tycoon.”

(No quote BBtag :()

Stonelouse
    Participant

i think planes would be very much over the top, i mean even the large the map is only 16x16km in size… it would be nice however to have an airport as a passenger destination, which should be upgraded over time like the industries, from a small rural airfield to a nice large one with two runways and a big terminal if you provide ernough passengers with your railroad.

a large harbour that provides import and export of goods would also be fantastic for your freight trains to go to.

Mansen
    Participant

I like that idea – A regional airport and possibly a river/canal ferry that has a preset vehicle that will dock/land periodically and hand you as much money as you have delivered passengers to them in the meantime (within its demand limits of course)

Traian Trante
    Participant

Stonehouse, you totally nailed it !

Airports should be international connections with the outside world; same goes with ports.

Though we should have access to the smaller, short distance boats (feryboats, water taxis and such) and maybe helicopters, but not to the very large passanger liners/aircraft. Those should be handled by the game, and just be there for eye candy.

Eh…. wishthinking…… We’ll se what the devs have in mind.

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Airplanes on this mapsizes should work, I mean look at Transport Tycoon. The combination of those various types of transport made that game big, I think it should fit Train Fever just as TTD. I think it would be great, but thats just my opinion.

They could add it as DLC, if you don’t like it you won’t have to. Or optional to put planes off before you start a map. Best for of both worlds šŸ˜›

Ships should fit perfectly but most rivers should be broader then they now areĀ (from which I saw in theĀ videos, the rivers looked to small for watertransportation).

Helicopters are more easy I think, because there are no map adjustments needed. Just place a Helipad and you good to go.

I hope to see as much variant tranportation methods as possible, it will make the game last much longer and keeps the game intressting for more people.

Maybe a strange idea: Add Taxi’s !!! How fun would that be?, and realistic too: here in the Netherlands it’s very common,Ā Trainstations are very crowded with Taxi’s waiting for passengersĀ !!!

killkenny1
    Participant

[quote=Stonelouse]i think planes would be very much over the top, i mean even the large the map is only 16x16km in sizeā€¦ it would be nice however to have an airport as a passenger destination, which should be upgraded over time like the industries, from a small rural airfield to a nice large one with two runways and a big terminal if you provide ernough passengers with your railroad.

a large harbour that provides import and export of goods would also be fantastic for your freight trains to go to.[/quote]

This is a very great idea – have an “international” air/seaport for goods/passengers brought up “off map” and then use trains/buses/trucks to transport through the map, i.e. DMUs from city to airport.

ButĀ why stop there,Ā Mansen’s postĀ has some other nice ideas to expand that thought. For example,Ā you have a small town up in theĀ hills. Building a railway would be aĀ bitĀ tiresome because of the elevation and all, too many tunnels, tracks too steep, etc.Ā Why notĀ have a short airfield there, which couldĀ take a Cessna Caravan or even Dash 8. Shuttle passengers/goods fromĀ big international airport to a distant hill town. And of courseĀ don’t forget aboutĀ the river transport.

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

^^ I can get into that too, I understand that big aircrafts and airfields will tear some of the realism away from the game, because of the map sizes. (But again, it did work in Transport Tycoon)

What about Taxi’s ? It’s never done before in games like this, it’s original and adds realism if you ask me. Taxi’s and trains go very well together. Take a look at your local trainstation, atleast here in Holland there are always taxi’s waiting to pick up customers from the trainstations… šŸ˜€

Leetnor
    Participant

I would certainly not have airports and boats in the game. The whole concept is to build one amazing network of trains with the support of buses and trucks. What if the developers had to balance the economics of the game again? It could cause it to become less advantageous to build rail lines!

A taxi system would be cool šŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Leetnor.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Leetnor.
    Jonathan078NL
    Participant

It all depends on the developers support. The game will need balancing also after it’sĀ release, I hope this game will have a good and long support. If thats the case, then I won’t be afraid about balancing the game’s economic’s.

killkenny1
    Participant

Leetnor, my thought is (and I think the other people who want air/seat transport) that you only get to have one “big” airport. It would sort of act as a regular industry (i.e. oil refinery). Obviously you have to build it, think of it as an investment for your business (someone has to transport those goods). You build one allowed international airport/seaport and that’s it. It generates passengers/cargo and if the demand is high enough (aka good connection) after a while it grows a bit, as it produces more output it needs another runway or a terminal (but obviously let’s not go Schiphol crazy, just a little bitĀ :D), the same way current industries work in TF.

The mentioned small airfields, you could have ’em as much as you want. In this case, as a business man, you would have to decide, are they really worth it. They are clearly not neededĀ for connecting two cities on even terrain, but what about towns up in the hills, whereĀ train track are a bit of a hustle to lay down.Ā You decide what’s best for your business. Same goes for the boats.

About how it would impact economics. Personally I don’t really care about economics, I just want to play trains (and if my beloved planes are there even better). I also don’t think it would really have a large impact. Like I’ve said, big airport/seaport act like an industry, they just produce goods and you get to transport them. Same ticket fees apply, upkeep, etc., like we have now (judging by those beta vids. Really wish this game had an early access…).

However there’s another thing –Ā devs. At this point it’s all up to them, do they want it, do they see all this working together, etc.

GeoffersH
    Participant

I think it best left as it is with trains, trams, buses and lorries. There will be plenty to do to keep you busy once you reach the later years. It suits me anyway, the way it is now.

Azrael
    Participant

I don’t see, why there should be a problem between guys that want boats and airplanes and airports, even multiple big ones and those, who don’t want all this:

Just make it as expansion DLC and if you buy it, you have it and if not, then not.
    And, if one day comes multiplayer, make it an option to turn it off and all are good to go.
    There’s no need for the devs to force themselves to go one path down or another, just make both and make them optional and its ok.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.