Signaling: what can i do with path signals in stations?

Home Forums General Discussion Signaling: what can i do with path signals in stations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    drukqs
    Participant

Train Fever only supplies Path Signaling (both ways and one way PS) and that is giving me trouble setuping my station approaches when they are not terminal and are quite busy like this one:

http://i.imgur.com/LorY0cs.jpg?1

As you can see i have 2 trains waiting to enter the station on each side, when there are 3 clear platforms to use. The trains only use the line that a train is in at the station and basically it creates me a lot of traffic jam, and inefficiency.

I already tried to change the platform on the lines but with no help, and using those signals just before the station platform entries is a disasters as trains can’t figure out what’s ahead of them and create bottlenecks.

Ofc with block signals/pre-signals as in OpenTTD this shouldn’t happen, but since im stuck with Path Signalling for now, what can i do to fix this problem?

Thank you!

drukqs
    Participant

(don’t know how to edit the 1st post): P.S: i solution could be making two platform terminals for each side because trains, but i don’t want that, i wan’t to do it as realistic as possible and that wouldnt allow me to proceed on the same direction to a next station, trains would always have to turn around.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by drukqs.
    Morat
    Participant

The only thing you can do right now is create a separate line that has a path to a free platform and assign some of your trains to it. If you have an unused platform the line can get to it will choose it.

Yeol
    Participant

For the moment alternative paths and waypoints are not implemented in the game. Paths (and so the used platforms) are fixed and chosen by the system. The general demand is high to have waypoints and alternative paths introduced in one of the next upgrades, but it’s to the developers to decide whether or not to implement it.

The only options you have for the moment to play with are:

• stations used as waypoints (eg separating freight from passengers traffic)
    • one way signals to separate opposite traffic
    Emeg
    Participant

To see what pathfinding problems players have it would be helpful if they use the in-game feature to discover and show how the routes are running over your network. As far i can see at the topic starter picture he has not placed the necessary entrance signals near his station layout.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Emeg.
    drukqs
    Participant

No matter what platform i put the train line go into, they will always choose to go to the same platform all of the trains.

The funny thing is, there are other stations with the same layout that this doesn’t happen: i reckon this happens because being a ‘curved’ entry path, trains always choose to go to the least effort platform.

Even so, previous replier can you help me out then on how to setup signals near stations? Because i really cannot figure it out how with Path signalling i can solve this problem.

I have a fully connected grid of double tracks around the map and i have not a single bottleneck. The only problem i have is this traffic jam on this particular station.

For the time being since that station is ‘terminal’ for all trains i made 2 platforms terminal for each side, but that means my network is now not fully connected considering that was my center hub station.

steveb
    Participant

@drukqs It would help a lot if you provided a screenshot with the line color layer visible 🙂

From what i can tell, you got trains coming & going to / from that station. Are all the trains using the 1st platform where ur train is in there in that screen? Are they on the same line?

If that is so, you can force that platform to be 1 way only and as a result, returning trains will have to go on a different platform. You could use something like this: 1W is a one way signal

<—————————-1W

<—————————-1W

1W—————————->

1W—————————–>

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by steveb.
    drukqs
    Participant

Hmmmm i’m at work so i cannot give you a screenshot with the lines.

Yes they always go to that same platform even if the line when selected the lines overlay, say they should go to another platform (i already tried to mess around with it but they always go to the same platform all of the trains)

No, they are not on the same line at least the ones on opposite directions, they might be on the same line if they come from the same direction.

The problem with that 1 way signals i think is that, trains don’t pass trough them if they are the goin’ the opposite way right? Because the thing is, that station is ‘terminal’ for all trains, it means that they always turn around there, so…if i have 1 way signals at the end of the station they will not be able to turn back right? I’ll have to give it a try anyway when i arrive home.

steveb
    Participant

Ah so the station is a terminal… like an end point. If you have more lines on that station, you might want to start the lines from the other end point and see what platform they chose at ur station with the issue. Am saying not to have all lines starting at one station… maybe that will change the platforms.

I have that “problem” as well sometimes which is why I always do my lines from one end station to another end station. At least then i can do something about the lines converging on a middle station and ease the waiting time.

Hope that makes sense…

pjk
    Participant
    Foche
    Participant

yeah , there is a big problem ….

the game don’t let two line coming from different direction take the same platform unless…..

check the others platform connection , maybe there is a track missing somewhere

cause exept if the others stations are “off the grid” or behind One Way signal on the both side , this isn’t suppose to happen

Emeg
    Participant

I think have find the whole secret regarding signalling. In Train Fever the a.i. of the program takes care of placing all the exit signals. Exit signals are invisible placed every where where they are needed. The exit signals are build at the end of the station platforms, where a train leave a depot and on the switches too! The exit signals om the switch works in all the 3 switch directions. The automatic placed invisible exit signals are never one way signals. A one way signal allows only the passage of trains driving in the direction of the front side of the signal, the passage from the back side of a one way signal is not possible. The two ways signals controls also only train traffic that is driving in the direction of the front side of the signal, they but do not prevent the passage of train traffic from the signal back side.

The signals you can place manually are in Train Fever only meant to act as entrance (enter) signals. These can also useful placed at the begin of a station platform, this to direct one way train traffic into your station. The signalling system works only flawless if you place signals before a train enters an area, thus on a spot just before a switch, and never at a spot just after a train passed a switch because that is the place where in the real world the exit signals are placed. The manually placed signals co-operate with the by the a.i. placed exit signals. This means also that when the last wagon of a train drives over a switch it is the invisible exit signal belonging to that switch that sets the relevant by you manually placed entrance signals to green light. What these relevant entrance signals are is based on the route (definite by its line) a train drives. So the game a.i. acts as a self-reliant signalman.

One of the most important things you need know that the a.i. always makes the choice for the fastest (shortest) connection.. if nothing else is determined by the player. You can give the a.i. instructions to act different by toggling the one way button of the entrance signals until the a.i. shows the suggestion you wish. This works flawless (I think a way point tool is not needed) if you place the entrance signals on the proper spots along your network.

vinkandoi
    Participant

Alternative to waypoints are manaual selection of the path at each junction. Just click on a junction and the alternative path is chosen. Just like what transport Giant implemented.

Whatever, selection of a platform would be very useful and is on top of my wish list

Yeol
    Participant

@Emeg, that is exactly how I experience the working of the signals. Once one understands how they function, they do a pretty good job. You wrote down the working very well. It will be very useful for many reader who are still struggling with the signal system. Thanks!

@Vinkandoi
    , that is a very interesting discovery. I will try it this evening.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Yeol.
    vinkandoi
    Participant

@yeol, mine was just a suggestion. Sorry that i made it sound like a feature already implemented.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.