Signaling: what can i do with path signals in stations?

Home Forums General Discussion Signaling: what can i do with path signals in stations?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Yeol
    Participant

I got that wrong, sorry. But it would be a nice feature. 😉

drukqs
    Participant

Well,  the problem is as said: trains always want to go to the shortest path, so unless i block them goin’ that short way (by use of one-way signals), they will always try to go to the shortest one.

But…sometimes the shortest path is the best path because that platform is clear. So, why should i use one-way signals to block trains from going inbound a certain platform? that just doesn’t make sense. I want trains to take the shortest path free platform, and that’s all: if i have 4 trains inbound a station and i have 4 free platforms  i want all of them to used by those 4 trains regardless of what direction they are traveling.

I’m not having any problem in the game with signals except those busy non-terminal train stations. I would rather use and abuse block signals and pre-signals like in the OpenTTD that are much more ideal for station traffic handling.

GoonerKeith
    Participant

Assuming that Emeg is correct in stating that the AI has a built-in system of ‘invisible’ exit signals it does beg the question of why they are invisible?

The fact that the signals that we place manually are completely static – and therefore we cannot see if they are clear or danger – makes the job of route and path creation extremely difficult.

I know the devs are dedicated to improving the game and listening to users comments, so I would add my voice to the overwhelming demand for better signalling (blocks, waypoints and colour lights would be a start). As the game stands at the moment it is not fulfilling its vast potential.

Emeg
    Participant

@GoonerKeith. I think the reason why the a.i. built signals and switch sensors are invisible is to make that things don’t look not unnecessary complicated. The locations where the a.i. always build these things are known, being the begin and end of station platforms, the depot exit and in every switch is an invisible controller sensor, co-operating with the relevant visible placed signals. It is the switch controller-sensor (when a last wagon of a train is passing the switch) that tells the relevant signal to give a driving clearance to the by that signal stopped train.

There is a good tool available you can use for route and path creating, the band of colored arrows shows very clear and always actual how every route is running over the tracks.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Emeg.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.