Signals – one/two way difference

Home Forums General Discussion Signals – one/two way difference

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

sorry for very stupid question. But here is one detail obout signals that I dont understand (and it is probably the reason why some crossing are not working as expected)

In properties of the signals I can check option “one way”. (So I guess that the other option is two way). What is the difference?  Considering I can place signal only on one side of the track (affecting always only trains running in that direction accordong the guide), I just dont see the difference for both these settings. If I place it on the right side of the track it will always stop only the trains running in that directions, right? So if I keep “one way” disabled, how is it affecting the trains in the oposite dirrection?

thans a lot

Stonelouse
    Participant

signals only work for the trains driving towards the signal, but if a signal is marked as one-way, then the piece of track that the signal is placed on cannot be used by trains travelling in the opposite direction at all.

a signal that is not marked as one-way, will let a train pass from the opposite direction, but it will not subdivide the track into two blocks for the opposite direction.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot.  This explain some pains a was having.

But hinestly – Im surprised the. One way is not a default option :-).

Morat
    Participant

” but it will not subdivide the track into two blocks for the opposite direction.”

These aren’t block signals. They don’t create any blocks at all. Also, there is an implicit path signal on every exit from a station platform and depot.

Vindicate
    Participant

Would be nice to see the signals animated, maybe in a future patch?

Stonelouse
    Participant

morat,

of course the signals create blocks! it is important to note here that a lot of the discussion about signals has been greatly influenced by openttd nomenclature, where different types of non prototypical signals are distinguished by confusing semi-prototypical names. a block in openttd is not the same as a block in real railway terms.

in real railway terms the track is pretty much always divided into blocks and if in train fever you add multiple signals to a track section in succession then you will have subdivided the sections into smaller blocks.

besides that, of course it does not help the discussion at all that around the world there is a vast number of different signalling systems which are different mostly only in the details but often use different names for the description of very similar funtions.

in germany we distinguish between on the one hand block signals, which are placed on sections of open track (between stations) to guard simple blocks or junctions and on the other hand entry-, intermediate- and exit-signals, which are placed within stations. however, this distinction in naming is only made because within stations these signals may under some circumstances demand a different behavior from the driver. in fact the station is just as well divided into blocks, so called “stationblocks”, and the signals function in exactly the same way as those out on the open track.

the principle is always the same, for an (absolute) signal to be set to an aspect that allows the train to proceed, the following block needs to be clear and the switches (if there are any) need to be set correctly.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Stonelouse.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.