So… what good are waypoints?

Home Forums General Discussion So… what good are waypoints?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mlovetto
    Participant

What good are they if I still have to make a line for every single train and can’t make them train specific?

Skumle Rafte
    Participant

Yeah, I’d like to see waypoints for trains and not lines. Or clever lining that will let trains pick alternative routs if the main one is occupied.

Person012345
    Participant

Did they not add waypoints for road lines or am I just missing something? Wasn’t that the entire point? You could pretty much get trains to go wherever you wanted using signals, including using separate platforms, why did trains need waypoints and not buses, which you have absolutely no way of dictating the route for?

FX2K
    Participant

Waypoint’s where badly needed for trains and I for one am very grateful for their addition.
    There where multiple scenarios where the automatic re-calculation of routes could mess up your entire network, causing trains to try to swap lines here there and everywhere… obviously not such an issue if you have 1 track going from A to B and 1 track going B to C, or two without joining them…

Here is but one example where lack of control caused issues and workarounds didn’t always work / re-calculated some times causing a PITA situation: Within that page is a link to another, where I had an issue… I have faced it numerous times with more complex track layouts.

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/change-track-of-the-train/

I don’t get why you need them for buses though… bus stops are essentially waypoints and you can control the route quite well with ungrouped stop’s. Something you couldn’t do (since you couldn’t pick a platform) with stations.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by FX2K.
    Person012345
    Participant

I don’t get why you need them for buses though… bus stops are essentially waypoints and you can control the route quite well with ungrouped stop’s. Something you couldn’t do (since you couldn’t pick a platform) with stations.

You do realise that buses stop at stops right? I don’t want a bus stop at every junction just because my stupid ass drivers want to ignore the nice bus-laned avenue in favour of going down some gridlocked sidestreet. I am forced to use trams on the route for now since they will only follow their tracks, but it’s stupid and I’d prefer to just give buses waypoints.

And, depending on the circumstances, you can pick a platform with trains using one-way signals. You can certainly do it if you’re using it as a waypoint where you pass through. In the topic you linked, he could almost certainly easily use a station as a waypoint but, much like with my bus problem, the problem is that vehicles stop at stations and we want to avoid that. Although I’d have to see more of the setup to see whether he could manipulate signals to get trains on that track.

Though I’m not saying “remove train waypoints” or anything stupid like that, I’m questioning why they weren’t given to road vehicles too where you actually need them more because right now there is no way to manipulate the route at all unless you want them to stop every few seconds (thanks for that, auto-regenerating roads).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Person012345.
    FX2K
    Participant

Fair enough..

Tattoo
    Participant

I’d also like to have waypoints for trucks and buses too for the same reason mentioned above. I shouldn’t have to place a bus stop at every intersection to avoid the small side streets. Trucks and buses desperately need waypoints too.

FX2K
    Participant

My main point was towards the question of “what good are waypoints?” and why did trains need waypoints…the road vehicles was a bit of an after thought where I failed to take some things into consideration.

mlovetto
    Participant

what I’m saying is that if I have three trains on one line and I want to make the three trains use three different platforms with just using one line, I can’t. I have to make three separate lines in which case they would just default to the different platforms anyway.

Person012345
    Participant

what I’m saying is that if I have three trains on one line and I want to make the three trains use three different platforms with just using one line, I can’t. I have to make three separate lines in which case they would just default to the different platforms anyway.

Well you can but it requires proper spacing. Just add each station 3 times and it’ll use a different platform for each lap, assuming there aren’t other conflicts.

mlovetto
    Participant

Hmm. That’s an interesting solution. I never thought of trying it that way

uzurpator
    Participant

You could pretty much get trains to go wherever you wanted using signals, including using separate platforms, why did trains need waypoints and not buses, which you have absolutely no way of dictating the route for?

Not really. With a complicated network a reassignment of a trackage on a station or rebuilding a piece of track causes a daisy chain of cascading line reassignments. I had one a problem when I could fix assignment on station A, then it would go bad on station B, then I would fix B, it would reassign C, then fixing C would damage assignment at A. With waypoints I can now force proper assignment.

Moreover, now you can do buffering tracks, or two-three track tunnels and other tricks.

mlovetto
    Participant

I guess I’d just need to watch a good video of what people are doing with them. It may help clear it up some.

fransgelden
    Participant

I guess I’d just need to watch a good video of what people are doing with them. It may help clear it up some.

I uploaded a guide about waypoints. There is a case where waypoints were desperately needed.

Link to guide: http://steamcommunity.com/app/304730/guides/#scrollTop=0

uzurpator
    Participant

An example why waypoints are awesome.

In my balance mode freight trains are heavy, while passanger trains are light. Thus on a hill slow freights would crawl to ~15km/h, while passanger trains run at~40kmh ( note, it is 1873 ). So to ensure that freight does not block the traffic, the i routed it on the outside track. Sometimes I get scenes like below – slow freight is overtaken by express passanger:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.