Modern Loc’s I would really love to see in Train Fever! (Add if you like)

Home Forums General Discussion Modern Loc’s I would really love to see in Train Fever! (Add if you like)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Hi There,

These are just a couple of the engines I would love to see in Train Fever, they are the most modern loc’s of this time. Though my wishlist is far longer then this, these are just some future models I would love to see in Train Fever. I also would love to see some older models but those will follow later. Let’s start small with just 3 later future models:

• Vossloh G 2000 BB diesel:

The Vossloh G 2000 BB is a four axle heavy shunting and mainline locomotive built at the former MaK plant in Kiel. At the time of its introduction in 2000 it was the most powerful hydraulic transmission locomotive in Vossloh’s range.

The Deutsche Bahn AG (DB AG) reporting number for this loco is 253[citation needed].
    History and Design

The asymmetric cab allows an external viewpoint at the front of the loco

The locomotive was unveiled at Innotrans in 2000. The initial model had an asymmetric cab (see image) with a walkway; the asymmetric cab design allows the walkway to extend all the way to each end of the locomotive; coupled with remote control operation this means that shunting can be done from an external viewpoint whilst still riding on the locomotive.

The design is modular with various components (engine, drive etc.) coming from different suppliers.[2] External styling was by Tricon-Design.[3]

A second variant was produced, this time with a symmetrical cab; two different versions of this model were produced – one for the Italian market (G 2000-2 BB) with left hand drive (trains in Italy generally keep to the left) and another (G 2000-3 BB) with right hand drive for Germany.[1] The new cabs had seating for two operators, in other respects apart from the cab these two models are identical to the initial asymmetric offering.

Starting in 2004 two further sub designs were made: G 2000-4 BB with a MTU engine which increase the power to 2700 kW. This variant also included a hydrodynamic retarder (a type of braking system) as part of the Voith supplied transmission package.

The last variant is G 2000-5 BB which has the same upgrades as the fourth offering, it is designed for the Scandinavian market and as such has anti wheel slip technology, and can be equipped for service down to −40 °C (−40 °F).[2]
    Operators and Use

Rail4chem operated loco in the Netherlands

The locomotives are certified for use on the railways of Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Sweden, Denmark and Poland.[4]

The locomotives are operated by many companies, many of them on lease. Angel Trains and MRCE both act as leasing companies, with Angel Trains providing the vast majority of the leased locomotives. Other owners include Azienda Consorziale Trasporti (ACT) and SBB Cargo (as class SBB Am 840)

The machines find use in northern Italy and in the German Ruhr region as well as being used for cross border traffic in the Benelux region. Railion, Euro Cargo Rail, Rail4chem and others all use this locomotive. The locomotives are used for freight.

The Swedish rail company Hector Rail operates the a G 2000-4 and a 2000-5 machine.

Maximumspeed       120km/h – 140 km/h
    Propulsion diesel
    Power                                               2,240 kW (3,000 hp) /  2,700 kW (3,600 hp)
    Tractive power 282kN – 292 kN

• Bombardier TRAXX F140 MS2 electric (post 2006 version)
    • Note: There are also diesel, diesel-electric hybrid versions.
      TRAXX F140 MS

SNCB Class 28 multi-system TRAXX with InterCity Amsterdam – Brussels

The first multi-system TRAXX unit that could operate under AC and DC electrified catenaries, SBB Re484 001, was introduced at the same time 185 561 was introduced as demonstrator locomotive for the F140 AC2 type. In addition to the 15 kV/16.7 Hz and 25 kV/50 Hz AC supplies, the new model could also be operated under 3 kV DC overhead electrification.[27] Later models also supported a 1.5 kV DC supply. This locomotive for SBB was also the first TRAXX variant with individual axle control in place of individual bogie control.[27] The general type name given by Bombardier was TRAXX F140 MS.[60]

Apart from the different pantographs, electrical systems for DC operation, the F140 MS types are identical to the contemporary dual voltage versions. However, under 1.5 kV DC, the maximum available power is limited to 4.0 MW, although this does not affect the maximum tractive effort, which is limited by other factors. As a consequence of the additional equipment required, the locomotives weigh approximately 1 tonne more than their dual voltage relatives.[note 1]

The locomotives are designed for cross border operations; the addition of 1.5 kV and 3 kV DC operability potentially allows the locomotives to operate in Poland and Italy. In practice the delivered locomotives were used for work into Switzerland and Italy, and equipped with either the Italian safety system SCMT or ETCS.

Post 2006 many more of these multi-system locomotives were produced, this time with some for use in the Benelux countries, as well as France and Poland, with further units being produced for Swiss/Italian traffic. In Poland, locomotives used by PKP Cargo have been designated as the EU43 class. Units hired from Angel Trains cargo to SNCB (Belgium) have also received the class number SNCB Class 28

Maximumspeed                               140 km/h / 160 km/h / 200 km/h (depends on version)
    Propulsion electric (diesel-electric, multi electric)
    Power                               5600 kW
    4200 kW (till 2002)
    Tractive power 300 kN

source: Wikipedia

Note:

NS Bombardier TRAXX F140 MS2

About 2-3 weeks ago the dutch railway company NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) ordered 19 Bombardier TRAXX F140 MS2 loc’s, they we’re actually allready driving in the Netherlands but those were leased from Angel Trains. Now fresh and new in NS livery ! 😀

• EMD Class 66

EMD Class 66
    HGK DE 64 Godorf.jpg

HGK DE 64 at Godorf Hafen open day.

The Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) Class 66 (or JT42CWR) are Co-Co diesel locomotives built by EMD for the European heavy freight market. Designed for use in Great Britain as the Class 66, a development of the Class 59, they have been adapted and certified for use in other European countries.[3] Outside Europe, 40 locomotives have been sold to Egyptian Railways for passenger operation.[4]

A number of locomotives built for Euro Cargo Rail in France with roof-mounted air conditioning are classed Class 77. In Germany ECR units operated for DB Schenker were numbered as class 247, re-classified as class 266 by the Eisenbahn-Bundesamt to match other Class 66 locomotives operating in Germany.[5]

History

United Kingdom

Main article: British Rail Class 66

The class was designed by General Motors-Electro Motive Division[6] for use in the UK, and 250 were sold to EWS, with orders from Freightliner (UK) and other railway operators.

Mainland Europe

With the locomotives proving successful in the UK, interest came from railway operators in Europe. General Motors locomotives in mainland Europe had historically been produced under license by local manufacturers. The high haulage capacity and reliability of the Class 59 (JT26-CW-SS) had led to its use by the German company Häfen und Güterverkehr Köln (HGK). The first mainland Europe order also came from HGK, for two locomotives, followed by TGOJ Trafik (Trafikaktiebolaget Grängesberg-Oxelösunds Järnvägar) in Sweden. Subsequently many European railway operators bought locomotives.[7]

Class 77

With a high number of orders, EMD modified the locomotive for European ECR operations, including:[8]

• Powered by a 12-cylinder 710 engine that meets EU Stage IIIA emissions regulations, via latest EM2000 control system
    • DC traction motors, rated at 3,300 horsepower (2,500 kW)
    • Enhanced gear case, which increases tractive effort to 450 kN (100,000 lbf), making the locomotive suitable for heavier European trains
    • ECR Train Protection System allowing for immediate certification for operation in France, Germany and Belgium, but meaning that they cannot operate in Great Britain
    • Additional driver facilities, including cab air conditioning; a microwave and fridge in one cab; additional noise cancelling insulation; a modified seat

Designated JT42CWRM-100 by EMD and registered in France as Class 77,[8] over 100 locomotives have been purchased including 60 by DB Schenker subsidiary Euro Cargo Rail.

Class 66EU

In 2008 EMD announced plans to develop a new variant ‘Class 66EU’ designed for continental European operations, built within the UIC 505-1 loading gauge as opposed to the restrictive UK loading gauge. A range of European safety systems would be supported including ERTMS, and locomotives would be fitted with a dynamic brake and previous issues with driver comfort were to be addressed.[9] The project was confirmed to be cancelled in 2011.[10]

Technical

The locomotive uses standard EMD components – an EMD 710 prime mover, D43 traction motors, radial[11] (self-steering) bogies of patented design, which reduce wheel surface and flange wear[12] and is said to improve adhesion[13] and reduce track load.[14]

The class has undergone updates; other than the lower-geared class 66/6 produced for Freightliner, most of the updates have been in relation to conforming to specifications for exhaust particulate emissions.

CD66 of CargoNet
    The air conditioning unit is visible above the cab.

Despite being popular with rail operators, especially due to its high reliability, the class has not been universally successful: one recurring problem has been driver comfort. In particular, noise levels (including noise from the cab horn), vibration, and excessive cab-temperatures in hot weather have brought serious complaints. The cab is not isolated from the main frame, causing engine noise to be the dominant background noise;[15] notwithstanding the implications for safety (audibility of warning signals etc.), and the potential for hearing damage in the long term, the conditions drivers face led to threats of industrial action in the UK in 2007,[16] and an agreement for increased pay for drivers using this type of locomotive[17] (in Norway). By modifying using noise absorbing materials EMD succeeded in meeting TSI Noise Certification standards in 2008.[18] Tests on retrofitted cooling systems and improved seating have been carried out on some UK locomotives.[19][20]

ETCS Equipment

A number of locomotives operating in the Netherlands and Germany have been equipped with ETCS, principally to allow them to work on the equipped Betuweroute, comprising the ETCS Level 1 “Havenspoorlijn” in the Rotterdam harbour area and the ETCS Level 2 “A15” route linking Rotterdam to the German border.

Operators

Freightliner PL EMD JT42CWRM #66001 at the station in Ruhland Germany (May 2008)

Europe

Certification (homologation) is needed for each country of operation. The locos were initially given a temporary certificate for use in France,[21] and full certification came in 2009[22] (they had previously operated in France on some routes), Romanian certification came in 2007[23] The class is certified for operation in Germany, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, Sweden, Norway, Poland and Denmark. As of 1 January 2009, certification for use in the Czech Republic and Slovakia was pending.

Middle East

They are operated in Egypt by the Egyptian National Railways.

Specifications
    Power type Diesel-electric
    Builder Electro-Motive Diesel
    Model EMD JT42CWRM
    Build date 1998 to date
    Total produced 651+(7)[1]
    UIC classification Co’Co’
    Gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in)
    Bogies HTCR-E
    Length 21.35 m (70 ft 1 in)
    Width 2.64 m (8 ft 8 in)
    Height 3.9 m (12 ft 10 in)
    Locomotive weight 126.9 t (124.9 long tons; 139.9 short tons)
    Fuel type Diesel
    Fuel capacity 6,400 L (1,400 imp gal; 1,700 US gal)
    Prime mover EMD 12N-710G3B-T2, 2,420 kW
    Engine type two-stroke diesel
    Alternator Main: General Motors AR8PHEH
    Aux.: General Motors CA6B
    Traction motors General Motors D43TR Axle Hung (6x)
    Cylinders V12
    Top speed 120 km/h (75 mph)
    Except Freightliner 66/6 105 km/h (65 mph)
    Power output 2,420 kW (3,250 hp) (total)
    2,268 kW (3,041 hp) (traction)
    Tractive effort Starting:
    409 kN (92,000 lbf)
    except Freightliner 66/6: 467 kN (105,000 lbf)
    Continuous:
    260 kN (58,000 lbf) @ 25.6 km/h (15.9 mph)
    except for Freightliner 66/6: 296 kN (67,000 lbf) @ 22.5 km/h (14.0 mph)
    Locomotive brake Air
    Career
    Nicknames ‘Sheds’, ‘Ying-yings’ (UK)
    ‘Klaas 66’ (NL)[2]
    Locale Western Europe, Egypt and Gabon

Captrain Class 66 Netherlands
    Captrain 6601. Captrain is an operator in the Netherlands, with a very nice paintjob imo.

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Ooh I forgot,

Could one of the betatesters confirm that there is a TRAXX looking engine allready in Train Fever, the silver one?

From the vid’s I saw this silver looking in-game engine really looks simular to the Bombardier TRAXX. If this is the case we could make some skins for it! (which is easier I guess then modelling a whole new loc)

Omni
    Participant

Not mine, but from the Steam community:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/554262075626800753/E63EEEDA0EA74D4FDB1082F6B2CBCAB0C108EB56/

I’d guess a Class 146 (or Traxx P160) because of the diplay window just above the 2 cab windows. But there’s little difference anyway :p

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

That’s definitely a TRAXX by the looks of it!! I’m very happy there’s a TRAXX engine in the game, this is a BEAST on rails.

Thank you very much for the screenshot, indeed some TRAXX’s have a led display on top of the windshield. I think it’s optional and not related to other versions. But it’s a possible offcourse. Class 146 in Germany indeed have these displays, it’s used for passenger/station information. So you could conclude that these models are optimized for passenger cargo.

Maybe I’ll repaint it with a NS livery :P. Does the train has it’s real name or is it fictional ingame?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Jonathan078NL. Reason: Bombardier TRAXX P160, Class 146, EMD Class 66
    Eversor
    Participant

Here you go:

Edit: full URL:
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/561017475227696783/4D08C6BB4751E978513D702DC6A9DCA83903BB90/

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Eversor.
    Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Thanks again for this screenshot, look at that lifespan and power. Very reliable locomotive. The name Class 185 is based on the german version, the DB Class 185:

Don’t know if Switzerland also have these, I suppose so. They are problably called Class 185 too.

The funny thing is, I couldn’t find any picture of the DB class 185 with a display :P, I know that there are versions with it, maybe it’s only on newer models. Well I let it rest, all those names got me confused.

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

@Omni,

You’re totally right Omni. I could find The Class 146 (or Traxx P160) on google with almost all of them having a display.

Actually the ingame version should be renamed to Class 146 or give them it’s official factory name TRAXX P160. But then again it could just be an option to let the supplier Bombardier install it yes or no. The names of the locomotives in game are all German/Swiss based, which is logical (game is from Switzerland) and fine by me.

nuclearfire
    Participant

Hello all.   I would like to see more Steam Engines. Like the one Top gear used on that one race.   Here is a link to wikipedia:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Steam_Locomotive_Trust  and/or  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado

I don’t know if their are any other modern steam engines running. this one was built in 1994 according to wikipedia.   But i would like  more steam power in the game from moders or DLC.

Azrael
    Participant

Be assured, as I’m a German who uses our railroad to get from Kiel to Stuttgart and back on a more or less regular basis, there are those Bombardier Locomotives with Display 😉

I guess, it’s only called Class 185 ingame due to licensing issues, maybe the license costs too much and Urban Games cant afford it?
    But thats just a wild guess by my side, we need a comment from the devteam itself to be totally sure, why the Class 185 is called and looks the way it is ingame.

I think a mod should be without problems though, for example, SCS Software, the guys who made Euro Truck Simulator 2, don’t have a license for the Mercedes-Benz-Trucks, so they’re running as the fictional brand “Majestic” with an edited star, but the Community created dozens of mods to let those trucks appear as their real Mercedes-Benz-Counterparts.
    I didn’t hear of someone getting sued for making a mod, probably because the modders don’t take any money for it, so, as long as you don’t take money for distributing a mod, that gives the Class 185 its full name and appearance, you should be good to go.

Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Hi Azreal,

I actually think it’s rather a fault then a license issue (the real supplier Bombardier, is mentioned in the vehicle’s description) it’s also possible that it’s right and that Class 185 is also suppliable with a display.

This in-game class 185 is one of the earlier TRAXX models, the newer ones post 2002 have about 1200 kW more power. I think it should be cool to have the devs put a second newer TRAXX model in the game with this power boost. It’s also easier done because they could use the same 3D model.

Azrael
    Participant

Whatever it is, I can’t say anything versus more locomotives, maybe it comes with a german locomotive DLC pack or something like that 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.