Someting not logical!

Home Forums General Discussion Someting not logical!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hodderd
    Participant

Strange situation! I’m in 2050 have two towns linked by a bus service that works really well but there are always about 100 people waiting at the stops in one of the towns. I added buses and buses to the point that there was a bus every few seconds but still a hundred or so waiting. So I added a high speed train service with the stations near where the 100 were waiting, I even made the buses stop at the stations. Never more than one passenger in the trains and still 100 waiting for the buses 100m away!!!  Train trip 30 secs, bus trip 5 mins at least with traffic jams and traffic in the bus lanes!!!!Anyone else seen this problem?

The RedKing
    Participant

Well, all I can say is that I always have a hard time replacing any road city-to-city connection by a rail connection too. No matter where I build the train-station (even in the center of each city).

Eventually the train will get more and more passengers but the road-connection will still be heavily used. So I guess the train-passengers are ‘new’, not ones which would use the road connection if the train wasn’t there, or road passengers which now use the train.

dj_jay_smith
    Participant

It would be interesting to see what happens if you delete the bus line.  Would they switch to the train or not?

Viljainen
    Participant

My guess is this: The game chooses the method of transport based on the travel time and the travel time is calculated by adding the walk to the bus stop /train station (also in the destination), waiting time at the stop and the actual travel time. However, the waiting caused by long queues at the stops is not included and probably neither are the delays caused by car traffic.

While in your case the train might be faster, the additional walking and/or waiting caused by bus-train-bus transfers probably makes the train less attractive. Remember that if they have to first with bus to the station, then by train and then by another bus, they have to wait for a transport 3 times instead of just once.

hodderd
    Participant

OK dj_jay good idea. Am running it now. Have deleted the bus line and train passengers are slowly increasing 20-30 instead of 1

FX2K
    Participant

However, the waiting caused by long queues at the stops is not included and probably neither are the delays caused by car traffic.

They definitely don’t consider the traffic, that’s for sure.

The problem is, when competing with cars you have to have an extremely frequent service, with shorter travel times from station to destination and vice versa.. a circular bus line with 20 stops takes far too long for Mr&Mrs X to reach the station when they get on at the first stop, if its constantly trying to pick up more passengers, even when the bus is full.  It might make money, but it doesn’t help feed the train station (in my experience anyway).  I find that more, shorter and more direct lines with less stops work best.

Or… bulldoze the roads between cities and play it like ye-older games where cars where not a factor.
    Most of the time I try and fight it, but sometimes I don’t and the bulldozer gets to work, it depends on how I want to play… oh and I am weak!

Javis
    Participant

I think, together with the traffic jams,  inhabitants of this otherwise enchanting virtual transport world stubbernly refusing to take the train are the most important things for the dev team to correct. In the more than 300 hours i’ve played (and also very much enjoyed) this game these are deffinately the two issues that have made me want to give up on it several times. Sure i’ve got medals for managing full loads of passengers trains but as soon as cars start to appear the passenger’s ‘Train Fever’ starts to detoriate very quickly and all that’s left to avoid bankrupcy is to delete the passenger train lines and sell the trains.

And it’s not like the reason for these passengers not to take the train anymore is because they all have bought a car….Reinstate the ol’ intercity bus lines et voila, there they are again, crowding up at the busstops by the hundreds as if any moment a rock concert will begin right there in the middle of the street. I can’t help sticking my tongue out to these poor sods as i drive by in an almost empty tram. I’m glad for them it doesn’t rain in the TF world (yet..)

Standing there at the busstop, waiting for hours, days, weeks, months, for a bus that’s not filled up to the last seat already or stuck in a traffic jam. Too focused to have noticed the almost empty comfortable train that has just left the station for the last time…  I’m surprised this whole TF world doesn’t colapse all together because people must be getting fired by the hundreds for arriving late each day or not arriving at all.

C’mon TF devs, get rid of these annoying traffic jams and put some real train fever into the inhabitants. As it is now the games’ name should be ‘Bus Fever’, certainly not ‘Train Fever’.

On behalf of all the inhabitants of the TF world, thank you so much !

Tattoo
    Participant

oh and I am weak!

Huh? What does that have to do with what you said? Not to sound ignorant but I don’t get it.

As it is now the games’ name should be ‘Bus Fever’, certainly not ‘Train Fever’.

lol, I said the same thing the very first day of playing this game. It’s a shame that the game seems to be more centered around them damn people rather than the trains like the title suggests. There definitely needs to be something done about this. I’m tired of 4 to 6 car trains. I want to see some long ass trains hauling a lot of cargo rumbling around my maps not these little assed 4 to 6 car trains that have a hard time filling up.

I’ll tell ya, some people have mentioned a TF2 already when the first TF isn’t even up to par yet. I hope they don’t think they’re getting more money out of me for a TF2 when the first one isn’t even finished. Same goes for DLCs. Someone typed that he wouldn’t mind paying for a DLC that fixes part of the game, I forget what it was right now but HELL NO am I going to pay for something that should have been in the game in the first place. This guy must have a money tree or something to suggest that and not care to spend money like that.

FX2K
    Participant

Huh? What does that have to do with what you said? Not to sound ignorant but I don’t get it.

Some people may consider bulldozing the roads between cities as a ‘cheat’ hence, sometimes I am weak and ‘cheat’ but its a single player game, so in fact, its more like I am trying to play it the way I find it fun.. and that’s with trains.

I’ll tell ya, some people have mentioned a TF2 already when the first TF isn’t even up to par yet.

I am guilty of that, but only in the context of some of the requests people would like to see.  But yes, they have to prove this game is worthy of a sequel still… its good.. but it needs work.  But so far, they are sticking to their word and updates have been regular.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.