Still no performance update?

Home Forums General Discussion Still no performance update?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    omoikane
    Participant

Without performance update game is only quarter-piece because game is virtually unplayable after 1950 (with large population)

I think that’s critical issue but why nobody cares? I even have not surpassed year 2000.

Playing with over 2000 population on largest city is very painful (virtually unplayable) but no fixes since release.

Wishes? Yes. there’s many wishes for game but that’s not so critical because performance issue is make me unplayable.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by omoikane.
    crossmr
    Participant

Yeah, despite the supposed performance tweaks, once you get 40-50 lines going and cities start getting larger and cars come on, it starts to stutter.

Tattoo
    Participant

Screw them cars and the traffic jams they create. Lower the speed of them and they won’t appear any more. I only see a few now in my games and my bus stops and train stations have passengers again.

This guy lowered the speed of the cars to 50 – http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/mod-traffic-decongestion/ – which works but I made mine go 2 mph but changed to 10 mph because sometimes a bus will get stuck behind one of the few that shows up.

vinkandoi
    Participant

I am starting to have performance issues on medium man after 1930. Large lags

FX2K
    Participant

I stopped playing the game due to this… I just can’t bring myself to open it anymore.
    I still lurk around the forums waiting for news though.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by FX2K.
    uzurpator
    Participant

I found a very cool way to increase the performance of the gam by a significant factor. I’ll have to test it first, but it is quite easy to do.

Stay tuned.

crossmr
    Participant

You could easily write down this “cool way” and let others try it. Unless you’re making some kind of mod.

uzurpator
    Participant

Kind of.

If you edit “\res\models\model\asset\chimney_XXX” files and remove all the particle emitters, then newly created buildings will not emit smoke from their chimneys. This yields quite significant speed-bump when viewing cities.

omoikane
    Participant

Oh no, Graphic adjustment doesn’t help at all. put all graphic option to lowest doesn’t have practical FPS difference.

My game runs smoothly even pops from the largest city nearly 3000 when simulation is PAUSED. only starting simulation makes the game unplayable. So I don’t think particle things would fix them though.

crossmr
    Participant

does graphic options to zero remove those particles? If not, then it might help. There is definitely a big CPU hit from this game, especially as more cars and things get on the map. I wonder if the hit is from the increase in agents on the map (over time more agents means more CPU cycles) or just the additions of things like cars.

uzurpator
    Participant

The deal is, that particles are simulated on CPU ( each particle = cpu load ) and I am willing to bet that each particle system is a single “batch”, meaning another CPU load. In a city with 100 buildings you can expect about 200-300 chimneys, so 200-300 batches and several thousand particles.

That is massive.

Agents are cheap. Even my machine ( a lowly Q6600 with 2.4 Ghz ) can simulate late game at 60 fps with no graphics displayed. Heck – my current game in 1885 has 40 trains, 80 buses and all cities with 400-500 population and when not looking anywhere in particular I get 60 fps.

EDIT No, graphics options do not remove particles.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by uzurpator.
    omoikane
    Participant

I don’t get what you mean but even I move my viewport to edge of map doesn’t help it either.

If particle is really matter, Game will get abysmal performance even when SIMULATION IS PAUSED, but even I move viewport (screen) to most populated area, fps still stays around 30 (population around 2700)

Population with 400-500? Even large map with best option and horizontal view easily get 60+ fps. you should get at least 2000 population for largest city AND major cities get at least 1000+ people.

PLEASE Do not troll performance issue anymore. If you have less than 2000 people in your largest cities of major cities have less than 800 people, do not say easily about performance issue due to population. My current game (not the one from screenshot. I’ve actually abandoned that map because of the performance issue) has 1300 people on largest city but no performance problem at all.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by omoikane.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by omoikane.
    omoikane
    Participant

Point is, When population is large enough(more than 2000 people in largest city, maybe?), game gets abysmal performance issue – less than 3(three) fps – when SIMULATION IS NOT PAUSED. when paused, even most populated area gets around 30 fps (that would be no problem for me)

crossmr
    Participant

If particle is really matter, Game will get abysmal performance even when SIMULATION IS PAUSED, but even I move viewport (screen) to most populated area, fps still stays around 30 (population around 2700)

No they wouldn’t. If the simulation is paused, CPU isn’t being wasted calculating where those particles are going. CPU isn’t wasted drawing them on the screen, its wasted calculating how they move when they come out of the smoke stack.

coujou
    Participant

Nobody is trolling here… The performance is just bad, my PC is twice better than required and I’m getting lags very soon, after 40 years of playing on small map, when my capital has about 600 inhabitants. I’d rather have no people walking in the streets in favor of smooth playing. Please, devs, that could not be so hard to have an option to turn off the people.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.