Strategy: Passenger lines

Home Forums General Discussion Strategy: Passenger lines

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jadela
    Participant

Heyo,

I’ve been trying out a couple of rail passenger line methods but I can’t decide which one is better.

The first one is having a few lines connecting a lot of cities and the second one is having many lines each connecting only two cities.

Anyone tried the same and can tell which one works better?

bobo90
    Participant

I am not exactly sure, but since you have the 20 minute rule and if you have one line connecting many cities, passengers will have to wait less then if they have to chance every now and again and thereby will be faster and will travel longer in your train

theuros
    Participant

In few posts some users claimed that lines which connect only two cities are more profitable, than lines conecting multiple cities … but I personaly create lines conecting at least 3-4 cities … simply because is more realistic

gGeorg
    Participant

“having a few lines connecting a lot of cities and the second one is having many lines each connecting only two cities.”

Few longer lines -> could bring more profit.

Reason:
    Longer lines could be used by passengers for longer distances. Longer distances are generally more profitable.Customers who choose longer distances doesn’t travel  in point to point model (dont fit  20 minute limit).
    Faster trains (higher top speed, faster track) benefits more from the longer lines model.

Risks to handle:

Its crucial to use traffic lights to keep spacing
    – bad spacing -> low profit
    – in case of one line for 4 cities and 2 trains you need about 2 pairs of traffic lights at all. (2 pairs of traffic lighs on the dual track create 4 blocks. 4 blocks is enough for 2-3 trains)
    Slowest train slows whole line
    – set all trains similar
    Build smooth tracks for faster speed. High curves use only in the station neighbor. Once train reached the top speed , keep ti until next station. Sharp curve slows down train, can cause shorter distance in the 20minute limit.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by gGeorg.
    Traian Trante
    Participant

In my experience, longer lines that connect  more cities, (3-6) are more profitable. I can make lots of profit even with putting 5 A4’s on them, wich are very expensive to maintain and on some shorter routes would lose money.

The reason why they are more profitable is because sometimes passenger travel not to the next city, but to the one after that, and not having to wait for a connecting train increases the chances more passengers will go further.

Tattoo
    Participant

I started a medium map which has 15 cities in it. I created a double track line with a double track wide station in each city and connected them all. In 2 years I have over 300 people waiting for a train in more than one city. I have steamers on the rails so I’m guessing I used 1850 to start but am not sure now. It’s been a while since I played it because of the bad lag I was getting at the time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.