Suggestion: Narrow gauge tracks that you can link to tram tracks.

Home Forums General Discussion Suggestion: Narrow gauge tracks that you can link to tram tracks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Krist
    Participant

A nice add on would be:

Narrow gauge tracks, that can be put on streets and on the landscape, and that can be connected to tram tracks. That would make it possible to recreate the typical interurban tram routes that exist in Switzerland. Outside build up areas they often run on their own right of way, which often has the character of a railway, with stations and long single track sections.

trainstroid
    Participant

I agree.

Take the city of Karlsruhe, Germany for example. They’ve got trains running on tram tracks through the city but also on standard railway for longer distance outside the city. They have to switch to different voltage of course. Track gauge of inner city tracks is the same than standard rail.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Stromsystemwechsel_Stadtbahn_Karlsruhe.JPG

Greetings.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

Good idea!  But I would favor standard gauge (same as railways) as the majority of trams, outside mountainous areas, use standard gauge tracks.

This would be a terrific addition to the upcoming USA DLC.  The US had vast quantities of of electric interurban lines that ran some very fast services sometimes even including dining facilities.  They would make a great addition to the game.

Those interested in US interurban lines see: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FInterurban&ei=WJaiVJzhIdDTaPmVgKAL&usg=AFQjCNHhhOBOfjZVirXU48P95KXN-xNEaw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s&cad=rja

Krist
    Participant

Wel, as far as I can see the tram tracks in the game are narrow gauge. The makers of the game are Swiss and in all but one of the tram systems are narrow gauge. And all the interurban trams (the ones I’d like to model) are narrow gauge.

Hence I think that having overland tram tracks as a separate system of narrow gauge tracks might be simpler.

But I’d be happy already if they added catenary to the trams…

LB
    Participant

I’d like to be able to lay tram tracks in the same way as rail by laying a single track at a time which could snap to road lanes or be placed off road entirely. Also, allow snapping to the centre lanes or the middle of the road for narrow streets. I’d like to see switches and junctions etc how rail has them and not just double tram tracks everywhere. Also, where are the catenaries?

And I’d rather see standard gauge tram tracks, maybe there could be a choice? There’s a difference between high speed, electric and normal rail, so why not add different gauges to the game? The city I live in actually uses broad gauge for it’s suburban rail network and standard gauge for the trams.

simonmd
    Participant

Basically, you’re talking light rail. You can get a pretty good equivilant by just using country roads with tram tracks and buslanes.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by simonmd.
    LB
    Participant

“Light Rail”, “Tramway” or “Streetcar” are terms for basically the same thing. It depends on which country you come from as to which term is used. Some cities only have this system on their city streets while others have them only on tracks like normal rail while others have a mix of both. Some use narrow gauge, others use standard and some even use broad gauge. Whichever method is used, it is all the same kind of system.

Country roads with tram tracks and bus lanes is not a solution as cars/buses/trucks can still drive on them.

simonmd
    Participant

Yes but that’s a bug with the game itself, I fail to see why it even has buslanes when cars can drive on them! Anyway, maybe there is some kind of priority thing going on because I have built a ‘buslane-tram-country road’ parallel to an existing road and the traffic was content to keep off it, letting the trams do a pretty decent job of acting like a light rail system.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

It wouldn’t be difficult for the game devs to create a an exclusive tram track (visually similar to rail lines) that does not allow any other traffic to use it.  This would be in effect a two-lane country road with bus lanes and tram tracks.  The only difference would be that it looks better!

I also agree that the tram line tool for adding tracks to existing roads should enable single as well as double tracks.

Krist
    Participant

Interestingly in Switzerland (where this game is from) there is no real legal distinction between a tram and a train. Anything on rails is a “train”. The difference is between running the rules of the road and running according to the rules of the railroad. There are actually a few cases of real trains doing street running in Switzerland.

So maybe we should just get rid of the tram tracks. Just allow railroad tracks on streets. Allow all kinds of rail vehicles on any rails. I’d really like to send a big freight train down the middle of a town 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.