Suggestions: about the new cargo system

Home Forums General Discussion Suggestions: about the new cargo system

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Traian Trante
    Participant

It’s quite obvious that the new way of handling cargo is a flop. Here is my proposed solution:

– Rather than chosing one type of cargo, allow the player to enable or disable certain cargo types for certain vehicles/wagons. For instance if I have a goods train that can carry plastic, goods and grain, I only want to carry plastic and goods so I will disable grain. This will allow the maximum flexibility when building your routes.

– A wagon/truck can only carry maximum one type of cargo at one time. If a wagon can carry ore and iron, once the game loads ore in it then it no longer load coal until empty.

Optional:

Some extra suggestions to improve the overall handling of cargo, unrelated to the new refit system.

– Allow modding of the 20 minute rule for each cargo type. Grain is perishable. Iron ore is not. Livestock HAS to be delivered quickly. Personally I’d like to set my own “recommended delivery time” for each good type.

– Allow different pricing for each cargo type.

– Allow different industry building in the cities to have different demands. It would be awesome  to see some power plants appear in 1900 demanding coal or oil. Or to see auto retailers popping up in 1950 demanding cars. Either way, the current demand for generic “goods” is completely immersion breaking. Having one samwill feed 10 cities really breaks it for me.

– Please look at the problem when supplying one city (or an industry) from two different sources. I want to supply a city for instance with both oil and wood products. Right now it’s not possible, as the two industries will compete with each other and I will go banckrupt in the process. Also, the city has a much harder time meeting it’s full demand. If you chose to keep the generic goods system, you will at least have to adress this issue.

– Eye candy: if a industry is getting more production, can you pop up some extra facilities around ? Make th eindustry visually grow on the map ? For instance if an oil rig reaches 100 production, create some extra oil extractors in that area. Demolishable, of course for a price, and not as big as the original industry itself. It woudl help immersiona lot. Ps: you already have the graphics for this.

PS: I would be willling to pay for an expansion that does the industry right. I’m sure i’m not the only one.

PS2: Thank you for taking your time to read trough this and thank you for your work on this. I love this game. It’s the best train game I have played since TTD. 1400 hours so far 😀

Tom
    Keymaster

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. It is always good to know how the players think about the game and how they would improve it. We will take it into consideration for our further planning!

Tom

About PS2: Well, that is a LOT! 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Tom.
    Traian Trante
    Participant

So glad hey hired you, Tom. It was pretty weird talking to a wall and not knowing somebody’s hearing it….

RAAndre
    Participant

I think the stagnant look of the industries is one of the weaknesses that makes the game feel “unfinished”.  The industries need animation and the ability to expand and grow industries would be so much more interesting.  Sim City has those great plopable drill-heads, coal towers, etc.  Even Sid Meier’s Railroads has some visually interesting animations when it comes to cargo loading.  Industry/Transport Giant have those great station upgrade features that would also really be nice to have.

PickPay
    Participant

More dynamic industry system would be fun.

+1

Semeon
    Participant

– Allow modding of the 20 minute rule for each cargo type. Grain is perishable. Iron ore is not. Livestock HAS to be delivered quickly. Personally I’d like to set my own “recommended delivery time” for each good type.

– Allow different pricing for each cargo type.

I would say that 20 minute rule should be modified for cargo completely. This rule makes the simulation perfect for passanger traffic, and I would really want to thank developers for that, however it is absolutely unrealistic for goods. Delivery time is rarely a constraint for coal, iron, lumber, and oil as well as for the most of the industry supply one can introduce. What is usually important is the price difference of goods at locations. So, as opposed to the time-based simulation for passengers one should use price-based simulation for goods. Coal should be cheaper at the mine, however more expensive near the steel works. Production rate, demand and so on should affect the price. This system was used in RT3 many years ago and proved itself effective. It would be fun to still leave some time cutoff for each type of goods, say if modders would like to introduce meat, grain, or whatever, however the basis of cargo simulation should be changed in future.

At this point, the best strategy is to build a line from the other end of the map to deliver coal to steel works, although there is a source in the nearest city. This looks too artificial. With price-based simulation one may think of a region on the map with large source of coal, so the natural strategy would be to supply industry from this region, what makes cargo trains absolutely necessary. Besides, with this simulation players would no longer build randomly located tracks which are used for a single route, instead one can think of major artheria connecting parts of map with source and demand. Of course this would be too serious change for v1, however it would be nice to think about it in the future versions of TF.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Semeon.
    Semeon
    Participant

PS: I would be willling to pay for an expansion that does the industry right. I’m sure i’m not the only one.

I’m definitely with you on that.

Semeon
    Participant

– Eye candy: if a industry is getting more production, can you pop up some extra facilities around ? Make th eindustry visually grow on the map ? For instance if an oil rig reaches 100 production, create some extra oil extractors in that area. Demolishable, of course for a price, and not as big as the original industry itself. It woudl help immersiona lot. Ps: you already have the graphics for this.

Yes, this should look amazing. Besdides that, major factories should also provide workplaces as well as small indutries do. Having large factory very far away from big cities doesn’t look natural.

crossmr
    Participant

Why would you pay for something that should have been done right from the start? The “goods” part of the cargo system should never have been hard coded. They should have, at the very least, had each city requiring at least 2 different types of finished products/resources to grow and left it open for modding so that people could have added requirements and industry chains.

They also should have allowed us to make combination stations, or provided them for smaller towns so that a train could take passengers and a small amount of finished products out easily to smaller towns.

Traian Trante
    Participant

I would pay for it because i recognize the 20 $ would not have covered it.

Provided the game would have been working good form the start and had a lot of features they we’re now begging the developers to implement, it would have been worth 30 usd ( or even 40 usd if done right ).

It wasn’t done right, therefore the 20 $ i find acceptable for this game, in it’s current state. Which doesn’t scratch my ich. I want more, and I’m willing to pay for more.

Nighttology
    Participant

Hello,

I’m sorry but I speak almost no English. (translated by Google translation)

Tout d’abord je tiens a félicité toute l’équipe de Train Fever, j’adore ce jeux. Vous avez fais fait du bon boulot.

Je vais bientôt atteindre le cap des 100h de jeux, je me permet juste de faire une remarque sur le système de l’industrie actuel. J’ai joue a RailRoad Tycoon 2 et 3, je trouve que leur système de l’industrie est très bien fais. Beaucoup plus de produit, chaque produit à un coup différent par rapport aux besoins d’une ville, les mines on les trouves principalement proche des collines ou de montagnes, on peux investir dans une industrie pour avoir une rentré d’argent régulier, on peut même en construire mais cela coûte très cher, on trouve aussi dans les villes des industries qui fabriquent une certaine marchandise que la ville la plus proche ne produit pas ou pas mais en a besoin.

Voila je pense que si vous faite une mise à jour pour l’industrie cela pourra vous aidez.

Bonne continuation !

Nighttology

gcampono
    Participant

@Night: I completely agree with you. While i like train fever, the industry system and map generation are probably the less enoyable aspects of the game  (in addition to some “collisions” in building railroads). The possibility to buy and create industries would create a little bit of dynamism in the game (as would be industries appearing or disappearing depending on their performance and competition). The possibility to create map with realistic and diverse layouts would also increase replayability. I played some hundred hours but after three 150+ years maps it always feel the same…

Nighttology
    Participant

Bonsoir,

J’ai oublier deux petit point, gcampono la dit, la map 🙂 puis faire une campagne et/ou une IA :).

Un peux à la RailRoad Tycoon 3 🙂 (Pour l’IA).

De toute façon je pense que vous avez deja réfléchis a cela et que dans les prochaines mise à jours vous ajouterai ses modifications au jeux 🙂

Ce qui fera de lui, le meilleur jeux de gestion ferrée 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.