Suggestions/Fixes

Home Forums General Discussion Suggestions/Fixes

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    LB
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve created/re-posted this thread so that suggestions and fixes can be made in one place. I have copied and pasted this post from this old thread: Suggestions/Fixes Megathread, so if you’re the OP of that thread and don’t want me using it here, let me know and I’ll delete that content and start from scratch. If there’s a suggestion you don’t like, let me know and if enough people don’t like it, I’ll remove it. If there’s a suggestion that has been implemented, let me know and I’ll cross it out. Otherwise, let me know your suggestions and I’ll add them to the list. These are not all my suggestions, in fact, the vast majority have been suggested by fellow forum users. I can’t give credit for individual suggestions, as there may be contention as to who provided it first.

——————————————————————————-
    Original post by Tarc October 26, 2014 at 02:56
    ——————————————————————————-

I would like there to be a topic devoted to sharing suggestions, instead of individual topics. (It may be better seen by devs)

DEVS:

• Please consider these suggestions.
      Some of them are crucial (real feedback), some are only wishes (suggestions) therefore not too important.
    • I have marked easy-to-implement ones with the keyword: *EASY*
      Please search for these, and if nothing else, implement them only. (Excuse me if they are not in fact easy)

If an admin wants this post pinned, please do so.

So let’s keep posting suggestions guys. Here are a few from me (I will update this first post with future suggestions unless it’s a less popular (or very subjective) idea)

PERFORMANCE

• Add option to change Particles/number of passengers and draw distance(off/low/med/high)(short/med/far)
    • Add option to change Geometry Detail (low/med/high)
    • Add option to hide icons and UI (off/line manager/on) (*EASY*)
      (Line Manager option would make icons visible only if you open the line manager.)
    • Add option to disable floating text over vehicles [income/expenses] (*EASY*)
      Most of these texts are lost as you can only observe one text at a time!
    • Lower LOD of floating text over vehicles
      To something like 200m
    • Add option to turn off shadows (off/low/med/high)
      It might look bad, but you could give us this option for weaker computers.
    • Further font render tweaks
      I see other games where thousands of individual texts can be rendered in a second.
    • Add option to disable automatic grouping of stops (on/off) (*EASY*)
      I have read that having dozens or hundreds of grouped stops can cause freeze during recalculation, and may be solved when they are ungrouped.
      So it would help if the game wouldn’t auto-group them in the first place.
    • Better performance with the following:
      • Tracking vehicles through a city
      • Having several (more than 1) cities in the viewport.
      • Opening ‘Lines’ window
      • Opening several vehicle windows with “Render to texture” feature enabled.
        Hint: Transport Tycoon did not allow more then 6 vehicle windows to be open. Messages with “Render to texture” should replace one another. Window with no focus can display just a static (grayscale, for extra style bonus) image and turn into “Render to texture” viewport when activated.
      • Lod system appears to be very simple.
        It should not only be based on distance from camera, but also on pitch angle. The closer pitch is to 0 degrees, the less distant objects should be visible.
      • The game is CPU limited
        Suggestions are that it is batch-count constrained. Simulation runs quite fast even with 6-7k passengers on the map and about 1000 units of cargo with ~400 vehicles.
      • Don’t rebuild all cities at the same time.
        This is a major cause of lag in the game. Instead, rebuild them one after the other, spaced out over the month.
      • Sending 40 vhicles to the depot for sale makes the game pause for a few seconds.

MAP/TERRAIN

• Increase Map Size
      Allow building many Metropolis sized cities that can be connected by intercity trains on the largest map. The current large map should be the small size.
    • Include a map editor
      Allow players to create their own map, or even import one from a heightmap image.
    • Pre-made Maps
      Include pre-made maps, or scenarios, for the player to choose at game start. These could be of real world locations.
    • Different Types of Population Centre
      Population centres should be split into Cities, Towns and Villages. A small map should consist of about 1 city, 3 towns, and 5-8 villages, with larger maps multiples there of. Each should act like they would in real life, eg villages are 95% houses, while cities have much larger retail areas. Raw resources should spawn in or near a village, while manufactories spawn in or near towns, just as you would expect in real life.
    • More Types of Industry
    • Less Industries of Same Type on Map
    • Add option to rename towns (*EASY*)
    • Add landmarks!
      They would be generated on maps (but not guaranteed) e.g.:
      Airport and Harbor: They would provide passengers wishing to travel to/from cities.
      Construction sites: They would require raw materials, but at less profit (as it would be easy to take advantage of)
    • Add ownership of roads (city or user)
    • City-owned roads (existing infrastructure):
      Any modification would be really expensive. Deleting them would cost a lot. Deleting link [any short section] between two cities should be impossible. Upgrading sich roads may be cheaper (helping the city after all!)
    • User-owned roads:
      By default building a road would be public – add option to make it private. This way you can have your own loops or shortcuts without worrying about traffic jams (and it is realistic). Maybe do not allow large roads to be private, it would be unrealistic in the middle of cities.
    • Add more road options

• One-way roads
      • Pedestrian-only roads (pavement)
        This would give better pedestrian shortcuts.
      • Bus-lane only roads!
      • Option to delete pedestrian crossings
        This would help with traffic flow/jams
      • Roads with tram lanes incorporated
      • Wider roads (3 and 4 lanes)
      • Add option for road vehicles to drive on the left hand side
      • Allow building road over rail to create a level crossing.
    • Add option to manually add more scenery items
      Trees, vegetation, decorative objects, etc.
    • Add mini-map with several filters (showing lines, cities, resources etc.)
    • Add Project Tracks Tool:
      Entering this mode would mean planning tracks in segments with more precision, with “undo” and “confirm” buttons to actually build them when the project is done.
      There are way too many errors and slope calculation problems.
      Imagine wanting to connect A and B, only to realize the slope difference is so high you could never connect them with rails, even with twists.
    • IMPLEMENTEDBugfix for collision errors
      ‘Collision’, ‘Terrain Alignment Collision’, ‘Bridge Pillar Collision’
    • Better bridge building
      Also add help text that explains the usage of N and M (e.g. each time you click on any Road build icon.
    • Allow adjustment of the start node of a piece of track or road
      Sometimes, the start of a road isn’t in the best place, so allowing the adjustment of it would be excellent.
    • Track/Road Building
      The system needs changing to help produce less errors, such as altering nearby track and moving supports to allow you to build rather than just telling you that you can’t do something. A good example is building double track over a river at a 45 degree angle, the first line will go over no problem but the second always tries to build the slope into the water.
    • Include a circle for the working area of the terrain edit tool

UI

• There is no info about crucial gameplay elements
      • Train Length
        In number of carriages and metres, both in build new train and replacement
      • Average speed and average round trip time
        of a given line between each stop
      • Length of placed piece of track or road
      • Incline of placed piece of track or road
      • Curvature of placed piece track or road
      • Industry
        Increase/Decrease in its maxumum production
      • Track and road speed limits
      • Production of goods/freight should be expressed in production / time unit
      • No info is given about speed limits and/or differences between narrow/wide/4 lane roads, as well as between country and urban roads.
        Rail tracks at least display a little speed limit sign when being placed. No such info for roads.
      • No info is given about speed limits between normal and HSR track.
      • No info about station capacities.
      • When a vehicle is introduced, no info about its stats is given.
        Player has to manually open ‘build vehicle’ window.
      • No info is given about new roads or electrification.
      • Tally of goods produced by a given industry
      • List of destinations serviced by a given industry
      • Tally of passenger destinations from a given city.
      • “Save” button to show existing savegames in a list with a short description of the game(*EASY*)
        Things like current game year, money, map size and type (I often overwrite previous savegames by accident, thinking I’m on a different map. I lost the save completely, as I had no other saves for it.)
      • Quicksave/Quickload
      • Add LOG window to monitor important events, summaries.
        1. Move “New vehicle is available” message here, as a text, not a popup window.
        2. Report any vehicle that has “Reached the end of its lifetime” here (instead of the slow popup)
        3. Report vehicles with “No path” status here (helps troubleshooting. currently you don’t notice it)
        4. Report vehicles that are in “Waiting for free path” for some time (x months? or the line’s frequency?)
        5. Report lines where all vehicles are in “Waiting for free path” status.
          This would indicate that the whole line is at a complete halt, waiting for each other e.g. trains on one rail, facing each other.
        6. Report lines where all vehicles are stationary for longer than 15 seconds.
          It may mean that they are blocked by traffic.
      • Add a Data Layers button, with options:

• “Land value”, “Cargo”, “Lines” (replacing Line Manager button), “Terrain contours” (already implemented; just to explain what I mean)
        • “Line profits” (similar to existing Land Value function, bright lines means most profitable)
        • “Traffic density” (it would show us where jams are)
        • “Show rail speed limits” (for all tracks)
        • “Show incline” (showing the degree of incline on parts of tracks)
        • “Line profits” (similar to existing “Line Manager” option)
      • Save map “metadata” in savegames (*EASY*)

• Store the map name (the manual name or the “random seed”)
          This is crucial… how would you know what map you had chosen? You can easily overwrite other saves. What if you want to challenge a friend or others on a forum with the given random seed?
        • Store statistics (total population, biggest city’s population, nr of lines, vehicles)All of the above should be shown at the Load screen when clicking on a savegame; with a screenshot perhaps.
      • Have more statistics
        • Histographs:
          1. Keep track of cities’ growth change over years
          2. Keep track of Line stats (usage in %, frequency, both over time) (so you could see how anything you change affects a line
      • Option to toggle snapping on and off
        So that stations can be placed near roads without snapping to them
      • Clicking on currently followed vehicle (after clicking the crosshair icon), to bring up its properties, should not unfollow that vehicle.
      • Add “Electrify” button to “Line” window in train line
      • Add “Upgrade to high speed track” button to “Line” menu of train line
      • “Running”, “Stopped” and “Reverse” on vehicle properties should have button frame.
      • “Go to depot” button should be on the same tab as “Running”, “Stopped” and “Reverse” buttons.
      • There is no possibility to review messages once they were closed.
      • There is no way to check and/or redefine key bindings.
      • Display ONLY supported resolutions on the resolution selection window.
        Moreover, check if the selected resolution is still supported when starting a new game.
      • Vehicles with “multipleunitonly = true” property should not be introduced with a message.
      • “Depot” window for trains should always have a fixed widith of a 160m long train.
      • Warning should be emitted if a train is longer then shortest station on its line.
      • Autosave period is not configurable nor possible to turn off.

AUDIO

• Add option to disable “oh yeah” sound (*EASY*)(This can already be removed with mods)
      The LOG window (suggestion above) could show you when a new vehicle is available. Apparently, some people have issue with this, so adding an option might be a good idea.
    • Add option to disable the cash sound (*EASY*)(This can already be removed with mods)

TRAFFIC/AI

• Add AI utilization of all 4 lanes (helps traffic flow/jams) (*PARTLY SOLVED*)
      In theory, at least 4 cars could take a right turn at the same time, from each direction.
    • Add traffic lights option (helps traffic flow/jams)
      Currently only one car takes an action at a given time in an intersection.
    • Add Waypoint button for lines (helps traffic flow/jams) (*PARTLY SOLVED*)
    • Route planning for bus/tram lines:
      • Streets with bus lines should be favored (as long as it’s not too long)
      • The fastest, not the shortest route should be chosen (e.g. considering the least #of intersections; road type speed limit, etc)
    • Add underpass or overpass option for pedestrians (helps traffic flow/jams)
      This upgrade would eliminate the pedestrian crossings and replace them with underpasses or overpasses. (In real life, commonly found near [well, above] metro stations)
    • Allow Road Vehicles to overtake slower or broken down vehicles
      Especially on country and multi-lane roads. Single lane city streets should only allow overtaking of broken down vehicles.

VEHICLES

• Regular vehicle maintenance
      Require all vehicles to be serviced regularly, otherwise the risk of breakdowns increases. Allow “Unload all” to empty a vehicle and then allow a depot to be included in the line for maintenance. Also, if this is implemented, an option to keep this setting off for those who don’t like this.
    • Pause maintanence cost when vehicle is in the garage (e.g. bus in a bus station, being repaired. Increase upkeep cost of garages to reflect the cost of hired mechanics.)
    • Allow to purchase vehicles after they are no longer manufactured (*EASY*)
      i.e. let’s say a train model is available only between 1940-1965
      Why? In real life, you would not stop seeing companies using them in 1966. In late game, we are left with 1 bus, 1 tram, 1 truck, and a few trains only… it is very annoying. We should have a range of vehicles to choose from, always. Our task is to tailor the line to our needs with the most appropriate vehicles.Perhaps make such vehicles “used”. Calc the difference of current year minus the last year manufactured.
      Therefore, buying said train in 1975, it would be already 10 years old, with all the “perks” (higher maintain cost).
    • Allow us to do a major repair/renovation on vehicles (*EASY*)
      • It would replace all major parts in theory, thus convert the vehicle to zero years.
      • It would cost a lot of money, say, 70% of the “new” price.
        This way we could renovate old trains, say, a 50-80 year old one, which would not cost us a 100-years of accumulated amount of money to maintain it (very unrealistic).
    • Add more models for each vehicle type
      (more modern buses, trams, etc)
    • Add public transportation on water
      Ship/ferry
      After all, almost every generated map has at least a river, if not a lake.
    • Add Subway type
    • Make old vehicles less attractive, new vehicles very attractive
      Even more than their own car (which can be 5-10 years old)
      It may help improve public transportation in a currently struggling city.
    • Add human driver to vehicles where the driver should be visible
      Vehicles that drive by themselves look a bit strange
    • Vehicles replaced by auto replacement will sometimes emit info about “being too old and needing replacement” even if they are 10 or so years old.
      It seems that age of the vehicle they replaced is taken into consideration. Usually happens with the ’25%’ rule.
    • Cargo has no weight.
    • Multiple capacity vehicles should allow for loading of both types of cargo at the same time.

TRAIN-RELATED

• Allow X Crossings of rails
    • Double Track Construction tool
    • 3rd rail electrification
    • Signals in tunnels & on bridges
    • When upgrading a ‘regular’ track to ‘high-speed’ track, have an option to AUTOMATICALLY upgrade all signals along that track to electrical signals
    • Have an option to upgrade each individual signal to an electrical signal
      without having to replace each one individually (just like you can upgrade railroadcrossings, or upgrade track to electrical track).
    • When deleting an existing signal (old OR electrical), get a warning if that particular signal was set as a waypoint in one of your routes.
      That way if you replace (or delete) a signal, you know you also may have to adjust one of your routes.
    • Creation of Over/Underpasses
      Creation of railway over and underpasses using the ‘m’ and ‘n’ keys as currently used for road construction.
    • Game to break rails into multiple segments after laying them.
      Currently, if you want to delete a section of rail, you may not be able to… (it highlights the section you manually layed down).
      Also, if there are trains on that huge section, you can’t even delete it.
    • It is not possible to drag track from a converging end of a railroad switch if we remove the little stub of track remaining after the switch construction.
    • Add option to see rail speed limits any time (after building them)
    • Allow trains to reverse instead of flipping
      This would also allow the creation of zig-zag lines to go up steep hills. Modern commuter trains would operate at the same speed in either direction.
    • Include Wagon de-coupling and turntables
      Allow a train to de-couple it’s wagons to let it move to the other side for travelling in the opposite direction. A turntable would assist in turning a train that performs better in one direction. This would also allow leaving wagons at an industry to fill up or empty while the locomotive takes the used wagons back to refill or empty at the other station. Which is how trains actually operate. The Line manager would allow this change by telling a locomotive which wagons to pick up and where to drop them off, instead of just telling a whole train to go to a particular station. Eg: pick up all full wagons from (1st location), take them to (2nd location), de-couple them and pick up all empty wagons from (2nd location), take them to (1st location), de-couple and repeat.
    • Show the details of each car of a train in the train window
      To see the separate age, maintenance cost etc. for each wagon and locomotive.
    • Maintenance cost redone
      Locomotives should make up about 95% of the cost of running the train, carriages should cost far less to maintain, thus encouraging people to use either longer trains or smaller/cheaper locomotives to pull shorter trains.

BUS-RELATED

• Add midibus and coach types
      We should be able to tailor our lines as we want: Do we want lots of midibuses or a few big ones? It should be our choice.
    • Add more generations of buses
      e.g. there is only one articulated bus – in real life, earlier articulated models existed.

TRAM-RELATED

• Add longer tram stations to fit long vehicles (especially newest tram model)
    • Lay tram track like rail
      Light rail (tram) tracks (similar to railway line) that can be exclusively used by trams. This would enable the construction of interurban light rail lines. And also allow snapping to lanes of roads or to the centre of the road to have the tram (light rail) on roads.
    • Catenaries for Electric trams
      Otherwise, they shouldn’t work.
    • Add tram stops with “traffic island”

LINES

• Add more options to make vehicles keep timetable/distance (*EASY*)
      Current problems:

• Suggestions:
        1. Make a vehicle leave the garage only every x seconds by default
        2. When we click on Set Line (all), give it a slider called “Space vehicles every x seconds” which would mean releasing them from the garage every xth second.
        3. Make it automatic…. Make the game recognize which line it is, how long it that route is, so it would know the frequency. Use it to space the vehicles apart.IMPLEMENTED
      • A train line with multiple trains always congest (catch up with each other) even if you spaced them out initially.
        The current workaround is to use less signals, but it really shouldn’t be manual – it should have a timetable. Signals won’t solve it for lines with more than 3 trains anyway.
        I think this is easy enough to avoid, so I’m removing it
    • IMPLEMENTED Add better options to replace all vehicles of a line (*EASY*)
      • The “Sell all” button is useful, but it should be equally easy to re-purchase them.
      • A “replace all” button would be good. (But what if you want to modernize the line with newer vehicles? Please find a solution (“Replace with” option?))
      • “Go to depot” is cumbersome to use. Put it on the first tab please.
      • Add “Sell vehicle” option to the same tab
    • Make the line clickable on a bus/tram stop’s icon (*EASY*)
      When you click on a stop, it either says “nothing is waiting” or “Line 1: 6 waiting” etc.
      We should be able to click on “Line 6″ here to bring up its details.
    • Add option to hire a manager

• The manager would automatically replace any vehicle with a given criteria:
      • “Sell vehicle if it reaches x% of its lifetime” option, with a slider between 0% and 300%
      • You could set it separately for bus/tram/truck/train types.
      • It would be a monthly expense (not viable at the beginning)
    • Add option to hire ticket inspectors
      Add a system where you only get a certain percentage of income, unless you hire inspectors (not viable at the beginning)
    • Invalid Lines Notification
      Tell the player which part of a track or road is not allowing the line to function correctly. Ie: highlight that tiny piece of missing track.
    • Customisable Line Colours
      Be able to choose a different line colour from a colour palette instead of it being automatically assigned

STATIONS

• Add Upgrade button for stations
      It should apply to all vehicle types.
      – For trains it’s the existing options (# of platforms, length, even type)
      – For bus/tram add “sheltered” option, which should be more attractive (feature not yet implemented)
      – If we click on Upgrade and don’t change any options, it should still upgrade to the latest design of its time (e.g. steel bus stop from wooden ones; etc) also meaning more attractiveness
    • Vehicles to not stop if there is no one waiting, no one wanting to take off, when full or when the option in the vehicle orders is set to “Non-stop”. (*EASY*)
      (except if it is for keeping to the timetable, which is not yet implemented)
    • Ability to select a platform for large bus and tram stations
      At the moment, it is possible for multiple lines to take the same platform while leaving others unused. Choosing which platform the bus or tram stops at will solve this issue.
    • Add more flexible station options e.g.:

• Mixed Cargo & Passenger stations
        e.g. the outer 1/2/3 platforms would be cargo-only
      • Elevated & Underground rail station
        with elevated/underground rail signal and junctions (It should have same function with ground level rail, as CiM did)
      • Terminus Stations
        These would incorporate buffer stops and road access located behind the buffer stops.
      • Ability to adjust the height of a station
        As long as it’s not connected to a road.
      • Curved stations
      • More platforms (5+)
      • Car Parks
        A car park would make it possible for a resident to drive to the station and then proceed by train. That way you could build real Park & Ride systems, like those that exist in the real world.
    • IMPLEMENTED Make passenger loading/unloading time depend on # of doors (*EASY*) You have to add a multiplier based on the number of doors the vehicle configuration has. e.g:
      • A bus with 2 doors should unload x2 as fast
      • A train with 1 wagon (2 doors) should unload 2x as fast
      • A train with 10 wagons should unload 20x as fast.

Currently, trains are a pain: It takes a big train 1,5 month to swap passengers at both stations, while traveling just a few months. If your game is fine-tuned on this timescale, unloading time should not affect your profit this much.

INPUT

• Add option to remap keys
      Add key for Pause You can already do this with the pause key

GAMEPLAY – FINANCES

• Revise game balance financially:
      • Please see an opinion detailed at post #12940 titled “Balancing Suggestions([…] Instead of the game being about finding the sweetspot of the right mix of passenger transport capacity and frequency, it becomes a game of building as much cargo and intercity tram and bus lines as possible and not too many railway lines at the same time […])
      • Tweak tram vs train income/expenses
        I have a tram line bnetween two cities that give $5 million. I could never do that with trains, even though it’s the one that comes with much bigger investment, planning, infrastructure, city planning, etc.
        The name is “Train fever” so it’s ridiculous that people have to use buses/trams instead!
      • Government assistance
        Limited free grants from the government depending on difficulty level to get a struggling company out of debt.
      • Government Subsidies
        Subsidise the transportation of a particular cargo or passenger service to encourage building a line for that purpose. Similar to how TTD did it.
      • Construction costs increased
        Building train/tram lines is an investment, far too cheap at the moment.
      • Raise the loan limit to reflect the value of your company
        The $10m loan is sometimes not enough when you’re playing in hard and are struggling to get a profit. It seems rather pointless that your company with plenty of trains & cars can’t loan more than $10m if your assets are worth $100m. A balance sheet showing the value of all assets would also be nice.

GAMEPLAY – OTHER

• Add more time speed options (*EASY*)
      The current game speed is too fast (we pause too often).
      Please either:

• Change the scale (from 3 real seconds takes 1 gameday; to maybe 5 or 6 seconds, up to a few minutes per game day) and recalculate income/expenses to arrive at the same figures at the end of the month. (Just multipliers, right?)
      • Or simply add 0.5x and 6x speed options
    • Add sandbox mode
      Where money plays no part. Ie: no expenses or income
    • Add a “Driver’s view” camera
      Where the mouse can control the direction of the camera while it remains fixed to the driver.
    • Add “Fast forward one month” option
      Most people just leave the game running at max speed for 15 minutes, just to get a year or two pass. It should be easier than that. Pre-calculate what would happen in a year, even if it means a 10 second freeze (just add “calculating” on the screen)
    • Add Day & night cycle
      This may only work on the longest game time scale setting (few minutes per game day)
    • Add seasons
      An excellent mod is http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/frosty-novemberday/#post-12859
    • Add better Tutorial and Manual
      No need to explain it, I’m sure devs are aware
    • Add Challenges / Missions (also tied to Tutorial) as it’s currently just Sandbox mode.

• Fist game: If you start your first map it’s very hard to know what is profitable and what is not. A challenge system might make it easier for new players to quicker and better understand the game. Make the player complete a few challenges to show them how to do everything and how the game works (“20 minute rule” etc
      • Subsequent games: Later on, occasional game missions (from the mayor?) could help ‘spice things up’ for players who are somewhat bored in a long game (e.g. connect cities, transport a certain number of passengers/cargo, build a certain number of lines, purchase a certain number of vehicles, etc.)
    • [20-min rule] Could we change its length manually?
      For those who have strong computers for the calculation-heavy things it come with. You could warn players in the settings that it can cause severe FPS loss.
    • [20-min rule] Make Cargo and Leisure lines time-independent
      In real life:
      – (cargo): Companies travel with goods much longer, even crossing borders etc.
      – (leisure): People can travel to a mall or entertainment area for much longer.
      If the main reason for the “20 minute rule” is that it takes a long time to calculate everything. then it certainly doesn’t apply with cargo (it’s only a few factories, etc) as opposed to the ~5k+ population.
    • Make citizens use the fastest/cheapest form of transport available to them dependent on their income level
      Simcity had a feature where public transport use was dependent on the citizen’s wealth level; poor people would mostly use public transport, medium would use the fastest and rich would mostly use their private vehicles. Since there are more poorer people in a city than rich (generally speaking), traffic would decrease if your transport network was excellent.
    • Dynamic map/cities:
      • Let existing spawned companies get closed and demolished after x decades of no business (no production).
      • Let new companies spawn occasionally. Randomly or even by following demand (e.g. city X has no factory nearby, only halfway through the map – let a company spawn nearby to satisfy a possible need)
    • Add more variety in the city:
      Different types of goods and resources, in other words, production chains.
    • Add option to purchase land (for future planning)
    • Multiplayer
      While multiplayer option might still be a long way out, and many other features/tweeks/bugs are more important at the moment, its still my most desired feature.
    • Fix Main Connection Issue
    • Faster city growth
      Surrounding towns should eventually merge together to form a metropolis.
    • Civilian Horse and/or Cart traffic in the early years

GRAPHICAL ISSUES

• Vehicles do not animate properly when being manually sent to a depot.
      Such as connecting rods on steam engines or crocodile and horses for wagons.
    • Bogies of TFV and DualStox do not follow the trackage correctly.
      This is most visible in tight curves.
    • Road vehicles are often not correctly aligned to roads.
      This makes them ride above the surface of the road, or sunken beneath the asphalt.
    • Vehicles with doors open all doors
      regardless of the side the platform the vehicle is stopped at.
    • Wheels of the A 3/5 steam engine are not round.
    • The Walshaerts/Heusinger valve gear on steam locomotives ( BR75 or A4 ) is not correctly animated.
      The valve gear works differently as it is presented in game.
    • Roads in cities sometimes get adjusted to really awkward angles.
    • Tracks are sometimes adjusted into awkward angles
      usually near a level crossing.
    • Locomotives which emit particles ( smoke, steam ) should not do so when stopped at a light or station.
    • Steam locomotives should not emit smoke from their cylinders when speed is above 5km/h
    • Electric locomotives with several pantographs should always ride with rearmost raised.
    • Shadowing distance is too short when camera has a very shallow angle (looking parallel to the ground).
      This makes shadows flicker and seem appear suddenly at a distance.
    • Roads are drawn with very low polycount.
    • Near Clipping Plane placed in a way that clips away some parts of the viewed object.
    • Vehicles created by “Emu” consists with “reverse” property (such as TGV or TwinDexx) do not reverse their icons in build train window.
    • BE 5/6 Cobra is too long to fit tram stations.
      When stopped it overhangs the tram stop.

If you comment with a suggestion, please use bold lines.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by LB.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by LB.
    Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

Simple ‘X’ crossing

We really need an ‘X’ crossing for railway lines to enable compact double line junctions.   This is a massive omission in the game.  There construction could be expedited by the suggestion below.

Double Track Construction tool

A double track construction tool would be a valuable addition to the game.  This would make the construction of ‘skew’ bridges (at angles much less than 90 degrees) over roads, rail lines and rivers.  It would also be used to create double track junctions (as above).

Creation of Over/Underpasses

Creation of railway over and underpasses using the ‘m’ and ‘n’ keys as currently used for road construction.

Terminal Stations

These would incorporate buffer stops and road access located behind the buffer stops.

Light Rail

Can we also have light rail tracks (similar to railway line) that can be exclusively used by trams.  This would enable the construction of interurban light rail lines.

LB
    Participant

Done! I also just noticed there wasn’t any mention of road over rail, so I added that too.

douglas
    Participant

Both audio things can be done with mods. The point of allowing mods in the game is for the devs to be able to concentrate on other things, considering its a very small team.

LB
    Participant

Both audio things can be done with mods. The point of allowing mods in the game is for the devs to be able to concentrate on other things, considering its a very small team.

Ah, good point. Personally, those sounds don’t bother me, those suggestions just came with the original post. In fact, I quite like the “oh yeah” sound, it’s quite funny! 😀

I’ll add a note next to them saying that they can be modded…

assko277
    Participant

Hey,

in other thread: http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/train-age-yet-another-bug/

the issue with the “Train x is old” message that looks like to be based on the age of the oldest part of the train leads to a useful UI change:

Show the details of each car of a train in the train window to see the separate age, maintenance cost etc. for each wagon and locomotive.

Krogoth_mk2
    Participant

Agree with most of the suggestion mentioned, but would add

Construction costs increased – building train/tram lines is an investment, far to cheap at the moment.

Maintenance cost redone – Locomotives should make up about 95% of the cost of running the train, cartridges should cost far less to maintain, thus encouraging people to use either longer trains or smaller/cheaper locomotives to pull shorter trains.

Increase Map Size – The scale between acceleration, object size, and distance is completely off. The TFV can’t even get to top speed on a small map, and making a set off high speed cross switches can take half a typical journey. I suggest increasing all map sizes by 100% without adding any new towns or industries.

Map Generation – Population centre’s should be split into “Cities”, “Towns”, and “Villages”. A small map should consist of about 1 city, 3 towns, and 5-8 villages, with larger maps multiples there of. Each should act like they would in real life, eg villages are 95% houses, while cities have much larger retail areas. Raw resources should spawn in or near a village, while manufactories spawn in or near towns, just as you would expect in real life.

Track/Road Building – The system needs changing to help produce less errors, such as altering near-by track and moving supports to allow you to build rather than just telling you, you can’t do something. A good example is building double track over a river at a 45 degree angle, the first line will go over no problem but the second always tries to build the sloop into the water.

ratje48
    Participant

Some ideas:

real life maps – Maps based on real city’s en country’s.  For example Germany, with all the city’s in the right place on the map.

Sandbank mode – Insert a new game-mode where nothing costs you anything. No maintenance costs, no building costs,… And also no profit. This way you can just create anything you like without thinking about money.

More variation in the scenery – I am a bit tired of the always green background. A little more variation would be nice. Maybe more trees to.

Bigger city’s – It would be nice if the city’s can grow way bigger. And Also grow a lot faster.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by ratje48.
    simonmd
    Participant

The is absolutely NO POINT in any of the above until the games core is fixed. What the hell is the point of tram islands or wider roads if u cant run the damn thing on a decent PC?

LB
    Participant

The is absolutely NO POINT in any of the above until the games core is fixed. What the hell is the point of tram islands or wider roads if u cant run the damn thing on a decent PC?

I agree, that’s why the very first point is about performance issues. But assuming that gets fixed eventually, the other things would be nice to include/fix.

jossevb
    Participant

Some suggestions:

More types of factory – Currently there are only a few types of industry’s and types of cargo. I would like to see more of them.

Fewer industry’s on a map – To make large cargo journeys. This requiers to stretch the 20 minutes rule fore cargo.

Changeable route colors

uzurpator
    Participant
    • Add option to change Particles (off/low/med/high)

Only On/Off make sense.

• Add option to change LOD (off/low/med/high)

Geometry Low/Medium/High does this,

• Add option to disable floating text over vehicles [income/expenses] (*EASY*)
      Most of these texts are lost as you can only observe one text at a time!

No. Just add a sensible LOD to this text. say, 200 metres.

• Add option to turn off shadows (off/low/med/high)
      It might look bad, but you could give us this option for weaker computers.

No. This is almost entirely graphics card issue. Even semi weak cards ( like my radeon 6850 ) can run at high shadows.

• Better multicore support
      Currently the game supports 2 cores, but mildly. It does not support 4 cores or more (when in reality, there must be 4 different areas of calculation, right?)

This is a vacous request. Without knowing where the performance bottleneck is, we cannot assume it is in the lack of threading.

• Better performance with large population

Obviously.

Anyhow. I attach my semi complete list of bugs:

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/semi-complete-list-of-bugs-and-usability-issues-4831-repost/

There are some suggestions there as well.

LB
    Participant
    • Add option to change Particles (off/low/med/high)

Only On/Off make sense.

Are you sure? I’ve seen plenty of games with an adjustable level of particles. Some people might like to still have a few particles showing…

• Add option to turn off shadows (off/low/med/high) It might look bad, but you could give us this option for weaker computers.

No. This is almost entirely graphics card issue. Even semi weak cards ( like my radeon 6850 ) can run at high shadows.

Although, as an option I think it’s ok. Shadows can make a difference to performance. People with an even worse graphics card than yours could play on a lower setting. It is just a suggestion anyway.

• Better multicore support
      Currently the game supports 2 cores, but mildly. It does not support 4 cores or more (when in reality, there must be 4 different areas of calculation, right?)

This is a vacous request. Without knowing where the performance bottleneck is, we cannot assume it is in the lack of threading.

Yeah, I guess it’s covered under “better performance”.

Anyhow. I attach my semi complete list of bugs:

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/semi-complete-list-of-bugs-and-usability-issues-4831-repost/

There are some suggestions there as well.

Wow! What a list! It took a while, but I think I’ve added all the suggestions that weren’t already here. Let me know if I missed any.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

I would like to add another three suggestions.

3rd rail electrification.

There are already some 3rd rail electric trains available as mods on Train-fever.net, currently masquerading as diesel trains.   It would be nice if they could run as intended, as electric trains.  There is also a large  network of 3rd rail (750VDC) in southern England, so there are plenty of trains that could be added to the game.

Electrification & Line De-bugging tool.

Many people find that small gaps in the electrification (& track) cause problems for many players.  A tool to highlight the gaps would be greatly appreciated.

Signals in tunnels & on bridges.

We cannot currently add signals either in tunnels or on viaducts.  This can be a problem on busy lines with long tunnels or viaducts.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Norfolk_Chris.
    The RedKing
    Participant
    • [20-min rule] Make citizens aware of traffic jams
      If they actually take 2 hours by car to get from A to B, make them give up the car for good!

Isn’t this implemented now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.