Surveying

Home Forums General Discussion Surveying

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bv
    Participant

In a new game of this kind I expect a lot of room for future improvements, but there is one thing I really think needs to be improved sooner rather than later. The construction interfaces are too clunky and do not give realistic results. In particular, the terrain modification tools are next to useless.

One way to improve on this and at the same time make the game richer, is to implement surveying. Hardly any real world construction job happens without surveying the site first.

To survey your road or railroad track you could put down centerline markers. You could set the profile rules (minimum curve radius, transfer curves, maximum grade and total width) in the tool, and have the system automatically place right and left markers every 50 meters. Then you could fine adjust your right of way, modify grades and curves before checking cost and committing to  excavation. On this raw road or railbed you then place your road surface or rails.

This would in many cases give us a more realistic looking railroad without the little unevennesses the current system causes, but those who prefer the current system can still use it. It will also make it possible to plan construction without committing lots of money before you know where your entire line is going to be. You can also plan ahead, designing a line and reserving land before you are ready to build it.

therobot
    Participant

I think this would be a good feature. Would also hopefully mitigate the issue of “too much slope”.

Azrael
    Participant

The issue with “too much slope” sits in front of of the Display in the majority of the cases, only a minority is due to bugs.

The suggestion is a good one, though I think, the current system is good at is, turn the contourlines on and you’re good to go, but since it could serve as planning tool, it is a good idea.

therobot
    Participant

I agree that the issue is mine but often times you don’t know that slope will be an issue until you have already built lines with an intended meeting point and cannot connect them. The survey would hopefully reveal to you that your intended path will not work prior to building it.

Mansen
    Participant

As far as I remember (I may be wrong) the devs want to bring in “multi-node” track laying. Which means you can drag out several sections at once before committing anything.

Additionally I’ve seen suggestions to make the slope indicator more accurate and more visually distinctive so you can easier tell apart a faint grade from a steeper one.

bv
    Participant

My primary wish is to get closer to the actual method for building roads and railroads. This includes design rules to make transitions between grades and curves gradual. Mass movements from cuts and tunnels to fills is also an important part of planning. A well-built road or railroad will even out the cutting and filling so the masses are moved the shortest possible distance. Doing this in-game with waggons or trucks would be really nice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.