Terrain options

Home Forums General Discussion Terrain options

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    higgins
    Participant

Ok, this game comes from Switzerland. So maybe I as a Germsn am the one to have wrong expections here regarding the terrain option in the settings. Even if I choose the easiest terrain option, the map looks more like the Swiss Plateau rather than the North German Plain. Therefore the game definitely needs additional terrain options, more easy than those now. It’s no fun when building train tracks is hefty puzzle work instead of easy casual gaming even with the “simplest” option chosen.

TylerE
    Participant

Game world/terrain is clearly British, more specifically, the northern part of England. Compare the end game world to this Google Maps view, for instance: http://goo.gl/maps/jkrkK

The town names are all real English towns.

Azrael
    Participant

TylerE, the game automatically adapts to the language, the game runs in.
    I saw beta LP’s from german lets player and they had german/swisssounding names and streetnames.

I have Steam and thus the game in English and expected German Names but I got the British names ^^

PS:

I agree, I like the northern german plainlands way more than the hilly/mountaineous southgerman/swiss landscape, but I guess, we have to wait for more  advanced mapping options, because I would like to build railways in a plains environenment like in northern Germany or the Netherlands, with many rivers, with a coast and the ocean.
    This has to come anyway, if some day ships get implemented or airplanes, if you play with islands, but thats intermediate stuff for the future.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Azrael.
    Stonelouse
    Participant

the town names are only english if your system is set to english…

thats another thing that should be added to the terrain generation, you should be able to choose which country you want to play in when you set up a map. what if i, as a german, would like to play with british trains on a map with british town names? i would have to fiddle with the names files all the time…

TylerE
    Participant

Wait, are the buildings different too or just the names?

Azrael
    Participant

Stonelouse, die Namen sind, wenn das Spiel auf Englisch steht, sehr britisch, sieht man besonders an Straßennamen wie Queensroad, Victoria Road etc ^^

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Azrael.
    Stonelouse
    Participant

the buildings are the same tylerE.

azrael,

i know, my game is actually running in english. however, in order to have german names i need to fiddle with the files themselves, when that should be optional. there is not even an option to change the game from english to german in the settings.

Azrael
    Participant

@Stonelouse

I don’t understand, you mean, setting the Game to German in the steam options still gives you english names?
    That sounds like a bug then.
    Since I want to play with German-Townnames in my next game, what files do you change to achieve that?

Nique
    Participant

I wish the worlds were created by parameters from a lua script. This way we could tweak at least the settings. Now we cant. I’m living in the Netherlands and 90% here is just flat.

higgins
    Participant

Long story short. The settings menu needs an additional slider. Going from 0% to 100%, maybe in 10% steps. This slider defines which percentage of the map has hills and mountains. While the other part of the map will be flat as Northern Germany or the Netherlands. What good is it i.e. for the Dutch to have modded Dutch trains and Dutch city/street names but then playing on Swiss-looking terrain?

Stonelouse
    Participant

azrael,

i haven’t tried the steam settings yet, i thought it was system settings specific.

the name files can be found in res/config/name. exchange the folders “en” and “de”.

Yeol
    Participant

I really would like to see some terrain settings introduced, to change some aspects during the genesis:

• an even more hilly setting (mountainous)
    • denser/sparser cities
    • denser/sparser industries
    • area aspect (square, longer/narrower…)
    • even bigger map then large (huge)
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Yeol.
    Neldot
    Participant

Yeol, +1 to all the options you suggest for a future patch!

– I add to the suggestions the release of a complete terrain/scenario editor to build personalized worlds. I hope that the Devs are listening.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Neldot.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.