Too many industries

Home Forums General Discussion Too many industries

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DrLok
    Participant

I really like the way Train Fever has developed during the last month. It’s more stable now and the performance is much better, even if there still is room for improvement.

If I should point out just one area where the game could be better it has to be industries. I really would like to see new factories pop up after x numbers of years, it would make the game more interesting and challenging . You should also have the option to allow industries to close down or not. Furthermore, the number of industries should be decreased a lot I think, 2-3 steel mills is enough on a medium map. Less industries and more production.

Bloodbunny
    Participant

I agree, it makes it too easy to keep cities supplied, and discourages long freight trains. I say, fewer industries, and longer allowed delivery time for cargo.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

I agree with the suggestion for fewer, larger industries.  But to make this work successfully the 20min rule will need to be increased to allow for the longer traveling times.  The 20min rules is already too short for freight!

Person012345
    Participant

How the heck is it too short for freight? You seriously can’t find a way to make a profitable service with trains that delivers freight within 20 minutes?

Traian Trante
    Participant

20 mintutes is too short ONLY if you change the cargo trough intermediary stations. In this case, yeah, 20 minutes is way too short.

However, with one carefully placed line and just two  100 km/h trains working in tandem you can move cargo from one end to the map to the other.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

What size map are you using?  I’ve built a dedicated freight line less than hallway across a medium map with two  100km/h trains and it failed!

The 20min rule needs extending for freight.  Perhaps a rule-set editor as in CIM2 would be the answer.

Traian Trante
    Participant

I’m using large size maps. In order to make sure your very long line works do this: make sure you place the station right next to the industry. The length of road good travel by foot it should be minimun. The other thing is take care of the signals. Build only 4 signals on your rail line in order to make sure that once a train arrives at one end it leaves at the other end. 2 trains just following each other around aren’t of much use.

coujou
    Participant

Yeah, but what if the freight trains use the same tracks as the passenger trains as in real world? There are tracks between the cities and sidetracks only to the industries. 4 signals is not enough then. Imagine there are 4 passenger trains and 2 freight trains using that track (doubletrack), how would it work with only 4 signals? Not mentioning that the freight ones totally fuck up your passenger service by slowing it down and forcing to wait.

RAAndre
    Participant

I think you really hit on something here.

I have often wondered why I keep going back to play Locomotion and really enjoy playing the game over and over, but Train Fever often gets a bit boring after playing for a while.

I think the industries are definitely part of the problem.  In locomotion the industries change.  They grow and they shut down and there are needs for new trains and new track and you have a reason to play more and more.

In TrainFever, the industries are pretty stagnant.  They don’t build up nearly fast enough for me and in fact often lose all progress due to a minor line stoppage due to a congestion problem or some line rebuilding.  I often just watch my trains run as nothing is really happening industrially and things get rather boring.

Industries never randomly popup anywhere requiring new tracks and train service and so there is little reason to respond and build new infrastructure which is part of the fun and challenge.

This would be a huge improvement.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.