Top Speed

Home Forums General Discussion Top Speed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Javis
    Participant

Here’s another annoying problem that needs to be fixed asap : in the 1930’s Top Speed of the only available Aboag Bus: 25km. Top Speed of the now available cargo truck Opel Blitz: 95km.

I usually take care of seperation of buses and trucks by not sending them on line all together. Put the game in FF and release them one by one with sufficient time in between.

All work for nothing because soon enough all 10 Opel Blitz trucks end up in a queue behind the irritating slow Aboag bus. Result: 2 trucks get the waiting goods, the other 8 trucks turn back empty…  Another reaon why passenger train lines should work satisfactory so we can do away with the irritating bus lines, holding everything up for no reason

FX2K
    Participant

Part of the issue here is that trucks use bus lanes, and nothing can over-take so it seems.
    Because of this I tend to keep my trucks out of congested areas by routing accordingly and avoiding bus routes.

I don’t use city > city bus / tram lines either, regardless of them sometimes being more profitable.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    bobo90
    Participant

that is the big reason why you build train lines, the busses and trucks get stuck in traffic, trains wont get stuck that fast and thereby give a more reliable service

Javis
    Participant

” Part of the issue here is that trucks use bus lanes, and nothing can over-take so it seems.
    Because of this I tend to keep my trucks out of congested areas by routing accordingly and avoiding bus routes. “

A very sensible thing to do. I wonder why i didn’t think of that… It works, thanks !  🙂

” I don’t use city > city bus / tram lines either, regardless of them sometimes being more profitable.”

So do your city > city passenger train lines accumulate a bit of profit ? I’m trying again, 3 cities connected via bus and 3 other cities connected via rail ( city D>E>F and vice versa ). Only one train with 5 carriages, 85 pax total. Quite good in the beginning, 1920’s, balance in the green, but now in the1940’s usage starting to deteriorate, balance in the red. Might try adding another train but like it has always been, it’s the beginning of the end…  Hate having to sell trains and delete lines because they cost millions. This never happens with bus lines….

Javis
    Participant

” that is the big reason why you build train lines, the busses and trucks get stuck in traffic, trains wont get stuck that fast and thereby give a more reliable service “

Absolutely, it’s just that inhabitants of our beloved TF world don’t seem to care to take the train that much…. Maybe they all went to the doctor who diagnosed a bad case of train fever and adviced them to take the bus rather than the train…  😉

Traian Trante
    Participant

Try 4 cities together with 3 fast trains on them.

Javis
    Participant

” Try 4 cities together with 3 fast trains on them. ” 

Sure i’ve tried that but sooner or later it always fails. Maybe i’m doing something wrong but it’s always the passenger trains that will stop being profitable. It’s true though, the biggest amount of citizens in a city i managed to accumulate sofar is about 1300 while most others remain beneath 1000. I suppose that must’ve something to do with it too. I did always play a small map though. Now trying a medium map, see how that goes.

Traian Trante
    Participant

Another “top speed” annoying problem. A4 mallard has a top speed of 145 and the only wagon of that time that can match it is the HBI goods wagon. No passenger wagons can go beyond 120.

Maj_Solo
    Participant

Or how about that wonderful german yellow electric loco capable of 200 km/h pulling “standard passenger car version 1” that has a max speed of 140 kmh. ou have to wait several years before you get the “standards passenger car version 2” then you can do 200 km/h.

Also I am very dissapointed at the TGV.

It would be better to if I could just keep buying those german electric locos. And then just adjust how many cars I want to exactly match the demand.

After some years pass you can still buy that car version 2 capable of 200 km/h but the only electric locos you can buy to pull that car only 125 km/h – 145 km/h. Your only option is the TGV at the end. And I don’t like that it possibly never can reach 300 km/h unless you play on a large map and have an absolutely straight track and bypass cities. If you go city to city TGV may top 215 km/h but then the driver slam the breakes as he near next city.

I found that TGV ( short ) seem to have more hp / ton then the other TGVs, if the track turns just a little they hardly get up to 160 or so. Also the TGVs must be filled to last seat or they loose money.

I have a successful map now with trams in the cities and only TGVs and it is possible to ewarn money but I been studying how they perform and on my current map I have several track straight out from the station and then further out a nice bend slowly towards next city. TGV don’t like that. You make a turn to the next city immediately where TGV is accelerating or breaking anyway.

You will have to pay to demolish ANYTHING in your way. You ease the curve more and more where TGV has higher speed but very soon you need to be pointing straight at the next city and the track better be traight. Tunnels, bridges, whatver it takes.

The problem is , as I understand it, there are old tracks where the rails are nailed to wood. And then there are modern tracks where the wood has been replaced with concrete. But that just makes it a modern more high quality rail. A real high speed track is banked in the curves. Therefore the train can continue at a much higher speed right through the curve.

And that what I thought TF mean by high speed track, now I just think they mean a high quality track. Cause if the high speed track really was one then all trains could drive faster. And then TGV could keep the pedal to the metal.

Maj_Solo
    Participant

So I will start all over again. If will try a medium map since it seems my puter can handle the load. And I will reroll and reroll till I get one where I can test TGVs top speed,

Person012345
    Participant

Only one train with 5 carriages, 85 pax total. Quite good in the beginning, 1920′s, balance in the green, but now in the1940′s usage starting to deteriorate, balance in the red. Might try adding another train but like it has always been, it’s the beginning of the end…  Hate having to sell trains and delete lines because they cost millions. This never happens with bus lines….

How many in-city bus lines do you have supporting this? Do you have full coverage of the cities being serviced by trains? how frequent are the buses?

Javis
    Participant

” How many in-city bus lines do you have supporting this? “

I was talking about city to city bus lines…  They’ll never fail. TF inhabitants love them to death. They don’t mind waiting for a free seat for days. Like with pax trains, in-city bus lines will always turn out unprofitable, no matter the frequency or number of in-city lines, atleast in my experience…  Same with city tram lines, very nice and profitable in the beginning but bound to fail as years go by.

” Do you have full coverage of the cities being serviced by trains? ” 

Not sure what you mean by that ?…..

” how frequent are the buses? ” 

If you mean in-city bus lines, i’ve tried various frequencies. Sometimes even less than a minute, sometimes having only one or two buses run the service just to see what happens. I just tried again with a new map but with trams instead. Around 1920, 4 trams nicely devided, almost full loads with every tram for a couple years ( pax train service, lots of goods via train and trucks) . 1940’s only 3 or 4 pax left with every run of every tram… Balance red…

I’m thinking about a Star Citizen pledge…  😉

Person012345
    Participant

If you can’t make trains work at all then you’re doing something wrong. Since you’re complaining about ridership I have to assume you aren’t running enough bus lines to give each town serviced by a train adequate coverage, and any buses you do have don’t run frequently enough.

You can’t just plop a rail station in a town and expect everyone to walk to it, so that’s what I’m asking about.

Javis
    Participant

” If you can’t make trains work at all then you’re doing something wrong. “

Errmm…. i suggest you read my posts again.

FX2K
    Participant

Regarding trucks getting stuck in inter city traffic, I use bus lanes along the cargo route. This prevents them getting held up when the crazy traffic strikes.

Of course, this doesn’t help when slower trucks hold faster ones up, but personally, I don’t mix them and have the same speed trucks on the same routes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.