Universal Stations?

Home Forums Modding Universal Stations?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    simonmd
    Participant

Is it possible to ‘mod’ a third kind of station, or just change both the visual models to accept freight AND passengers? Especially with branch lines, it’s perfectly reasonable to have goods and passengers at one station so is there a way we can mod them to allow both? Otherwise, most building towns end up with two different stations and wasted space and resources spent building two lots of lines, station structures, etc.

crossmr
    Participant

Ive gotta go out but I’ll be back in a couple hours or so. I’ve got something I’ll try and see if it is possible.

crossmr
    Participant

My initial test didn’t work. You can pass the passenger and cargo value to the station in the same statement, but the main lua script has a “cargo = true/false” line which I think overrides whatever you put in the actual station mdl file.

I’ll keep playing around.

crossmr
    Participant

further testing = no..

I tried various ways, but as far as I can tell the model mdl file which allows you to set passenger or cargo is pointless. It does nothing, and only the main lua script counts. I even tried telling the lua script to load cargo platforms from the cargo station mdls directly, and while it made the station look weird, the train wouldn’t take cargo to it at all. It seems like this may have been another “intended” feature, but with this hard switch in there, there is no way to customize each set of rails.

Tattoo
    Participant

I mentioned this to someone else, “cargo = true/false”, but he said that this tells the game what tab to place the station in and has nothing to do with what cargo it loads so changing this would have no effect to the cargo at all. It would just show up in the other tab when selecting the station.

The transportModes = { “” }, would have to be changed for this to work and I don’t think it’s possible to have 2 sets of them in the .mdl file.

crossmr
    Participant

I don’t think that’s true. I did extensive testing today. I had the same station with cargo = false in the game, it would not take any cargo even though the lines were all set cargo.

As soon as I cargo = true it started taking cargo, no other changes were made. The lines have to be set to cargo and the station itself has to be set to cargo for it to take cargo.

Otherwise you could simply replace a set of tracks with cargo tracks and at least allow one train to go to the cargo tracks and one to the passenger tracks.  to save on space.  but that can’t be done.  You can test this by setting a regular cargo station to cargo = false leave all else the same and place it in game, it shouldn’t take cargo.

Tattoo
    Participant

Hmm, no kidding. Yeah, I just said what this other guy said. I never tried it myself.

crossmr
    Participant

Yes, it’s really annoying. To me, it seems like something they intended, and never did. Like angled buildings and multiple switch types. I’m not sure if a cargo = true can take passengers or not. I was frustrated at not getting the cargo to work so gave up on it, but I should try it the other way and see if a cargo one can take passengers. Maybe it can. That might be the solution.

Tattoo
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t know, sorry. I don’t even play this any more. I found a game called SpinTires that is really fun to play and doesn’t have all these problems. It even has multi-player and the game engine is just fa nominal in the way it works. The suspension on the trucks actually move with the terrain. Awesome game to me. I like transport games but only come here now to see if they fixed it yet. I’ll start playing it again if they ever do fix it, maybe. This other game has my attention now and am gonna start modding in it. It’s still under development and was written that it was in many places. Not like this game where the users weren’t told about all the problems it has. And I only paid $10.00 for SpinTires. I would rather have given them the $34.00 and give these idiots the 10. SpinTires is well worth the money.

If and/or when they do fix this, they’ll only have their fanboys playing this probably. I’m surprised to see you hung out for this long. I gave up after Micheal told me it was my fault that the game crashed while I was sleeping. lol. That was it for me.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out. Sorry I can’t be more helpful with this. The people on the German site did a lot more testing on things. The only problem is the German language and the translators suck and aren’t very helpful. But they know a lot more about the game than people here and would be more helpful. Ya just need to understand German.

simonmd
    Participant

Thanks for trying guys, I was kind of hoping there would be a simple line in the model file that would enable ‘pass=true, cargo=true’ to be enabled but seems its a bit harder unfortunately.

Things like this do bug me about the game, if it was purely a present day simulation where mainly container traffic is used, fair enough but for a game that spends most of its time pre-war, its daft. Apart from main line services, most stations would have been duel purpose to some extent in the steam era. Why didn’t the devs just have a universal station and give us the choice of two visual models?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Modding’ is closed to new topics and replies.