USA DLC, 2nd impressions

Home Forums General Discussion USA DLC, 2nd impressions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    KilrBe3
    Participant

Most of you all are forgetting, you got a free DLC, for free. Be grateful they didn’t charge you. Also, relax. Its not even be a full 72hrs, and its now just Monday. Patches are sure to come to fix things, and make people happy with the new DLC. Yes the cities are Europe still, yes the roads are still EU, but who the hell cares. If you guys are knitpicking that much, on a NON-GAMEPLAY ISSUE, then you all need help. Or leave TF. If you crying about things that breaking your immersion, and that is NOT breaking your game to the point its BROKEN, THEN STOP CRYING.

Oh, and you guys think Cities Skylines be better? Are you guys not aware that that dev is shady as all get out, and how CIM2 was a disaster at launch, and its horrible learning curve?

You also do know cities skylines is more of a SimCity clone, then a transportation.

But hey, if you people wanna cry about cities being EU, and not GAME BREAKING BUGS, then please, off to Cities for you, and good riddens!

Stormrider
    Participant

“good riddens!” 

Why would you want less people buying and enjoying the game? I would like it to be a success to both reward the devs who put in so much effort into it and so they can continue to make it even better.

The only way the devs know what to improve is to see feedback like this. If we don’t mention what we would like to see they don’t know.

As for game breaking bugs I have not experienced any. The game runs nice and smoothly for me so it is just little niggles left to talk about.

larry.kubiak
    Participant

To be really honest, I’d rather have paid 5-10€ for a complete DLC than getting a free but incomplete DLC. And yes, playing in a US map with US-style landscape and french street/town names somehow ruins the immersion. It’s not a major issue, but it’s something that could have been easily avoided.

Having said this, I still don’t regret having purchased Train Fever, and I’m eagerly waiting for future patches to solve these small issues. This is especially true with Urban Games as I know that they are listening to customer’s complaints and trying to improve things over time.

bv
    Participant

It looks to me like they are trying to make another children’s game rather than a serious simulation. I believe that to be an unwise move, since the bulk of the train enthusiasts are older people who want all details to be correct. Children do not complain if something is realistic, but enthusiasts get upset when things are wrong. It would have helped if they consulted with somebody who has a clue about railroads, they might have avoided such blunders as a locomotive without a tender.

A major weakness is that there are no passenger engines available for the 1850-1900 period. The Baldwin six-wheels was a freight engine. Without too much effort they could also have made a model of the fast passenger engine Baldwin built for the Virginia Central in 1849, since most of the parts are the same. Having both freight and passenger cars and engines available with reasonable update intervals is a must for a proper railroad operation.

simonmd
    Participant

Most of you all are forgetting, you got a free DLC, for free. Be grateful they didn’t charge you. Also, relax. Its not even be a full 72hrs, and its now just Monday. Patches are sure to come to fix things, and make people happy with the new DLC.

Yes, I did in fact make point of this in my original post and it’s certainly true to say i’d rather have the pack than not. However, you’re missing the point, most of us are just fed up with how half hearted Urban Games do things. Answer me this, WHY NOT TEST THE THING and show a bit of PRIDE in your work? I know that if I was on the UG team, i’d be VERY embarresed. Also, to say something like ” Patches are sure to come to fix things….” is just playing to their lazyness. Patches USED to be for games that needed one or two bugs fixed or to make it compatible with some kind of new hard/software. Now, we seem to be lead to believe that a patch every bloody month is fine and acceptable and that at any point, a patch can totaly screw up things like mods and other downloads that many people, users and developers, have spent a great deal of time to put together. This is not accepable for a suposedly finished game, this is what happenes when something is in development and being Beta tested.

As for comparing it to Skylines, don’t be foolish. I see no evidence of that at all. ALL that was mentioned was that it was coming out soon and a few of us are excited about it. It’s a game made by a professional developer that has undergone a great deal of testing, unlike this amateur bunch, they have even said that they learnt alot from the CIM2 release and this is why Skylines has taken longer than they had hoped. To compare the two is insulting Paradox Games.

@Olahaldor
    .   Yes, there unfortunately is alot of anger here, why? Because people CARE about the game and that’s not a bad thing. If I didn’t enjoy TF and care about it’s development, i’ve had said “meh” a long time ago and gone on to something else.

isidoro
    Participant

I bought CiM, CiM2 and have ordered Skylines in advance.  However, CiM had several issues itself.  For instance, it was easy to get a huge deadlock if you put a bunch of boats on the same line…  And that, to my knowledge, is still uncorrected.

And about the patch, my opinion is that I prefer free patches over paid-for ones.  And I prefer a not-so finished patch last Friday that a completely polished one in two month’s time…

MetroFanUshka
    Participant

Sorry for my bad English, but I want to add that there is also a strange thing with the street planning/town generation AI in USA DLC. In the game which is started with the terrain option set to “American” the layout of the streets and roads are not the same as in the game with the same seed which is started with the terrain option set to “European”. In most cases (I tried many different seeds) the “American” street layout is less logical (it has more “dead ends” and the situation, when the gap between the parallel (or attached at an acute angle) streets is so small that even one building couldn’t be placed in it, is much more frequent). It seems that when you set “American” in the terrain preference, the game uses the older version of the street-generation algorithm.

NeighborKid
    Participant

Good amount of sounds are reused from the European trains. -.-  I also feel theres a serious issue with trams.  The cost upkeep makes no sense for balance purposes at all.  On top of which I see that most of the people dont even utilize the trams.  Frequency below 60 seconds..  hmm..  Also some strange picks for locomotives where I would have thought some other very staple locomotives would have been used. Like Amtraks’s P40.  The class 9000.. strange picks….

Azrael
    Participant

If you care about the game, thats fine but don’t express that by calling the devs bad names, that’s just childish and stupid.
    Be objective when you critize something.

The Point, that you have American looking Towns with French/Italien/German Names is, that the game uses a namelist according to the language in which you play the game.
    If you play Train Fever in French, you get French Names.
    This can be changed for sure, but atleast you know, why it is the case and for sure, there are town/streetname mods out there to give you American Names 🙂

They’re new comers in the business who work hard, who keep us up to date and who update the game regulary and fast and with features, that the players asked for.
    Autoreplacement feature? A wish of the community, they made it true.
    Opening Animations for depots and train cars? Wish by the community.
    Waypoints? Wish by the community.

Sure, it was unstable in the beginning and lacked some features like ingame management of savegames and huge savefiles but the game got massively improved since september.
    You don’t know so much service and customer friendliness or FREE DLC’S from big developers and publishers like Ubisoft or EA.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Azrael.
    isidoro
    Participant

Support!

kinza
    Participant
    • Hello

I have made a TramWorld Project in Train Fever and its getting nicely.

___

kinza

simonmd
    Participant

Kinza, what the hell does that have to do with THIS TOPIC? Kindly show some manners and don’t spam other peoples threads because you want some attention!!

They’re new comers in the business who work hard, who keep us up to date and who update the game regulary and fast and with features, that the players asked for.
    Autoreplacement feature? A wish of the community, they made it true.
    Opening Animations for depots and train cars? Wish by the community.
    Waypoints? Wish by the community.

Sure, it was unstable in the beginning and lacked some features like ingame management of savegames and huge savefiles but the game got massively improved since september.
    You don’t know so much service and customer friendliness or FREE DLC’S from big developers and publishers like Ubisoft or EA.

This is some of the most naïve, fanboy crap I’ve read on here.

WHO asked for opening Depot doors? Show me the post, go on! The rest of the features you mention should have been in the game FROM THE START!!!

Damn right they’ve had to work hard and bring out lots of patches, that’s because the game was no more than an Alpha when it was released, yet they charged full price and lured people into buying it thinking it was finished. The amount of patches it has had so far is laughable, I can’t think of a single other game i’ve had that is SO broken it needs to be re written EVERY month. FIVE MONTHS on and the several performance patches have just about got the damn thing playable, but still only if you have a PC powerful enough to give Deep Blue a run for its money.

WHAT ‘customer friendliness’????? I have NEVER had one of my problems addressed or even commented on by a member of the Urban Games staff, NEVER. Only last wekk, I had a major problem after their patch and asked for help in the support section, want to know what support I got? Sweet FA, that’s what, so don’t make me laugh with comments like ‘customer friendliness’ As for ‘free’ DLC, great, wonderful, amazing. However, hasn’t it occurred to you that they have now modded the game so that it’s easier to put together future DLC packs that probably WONT be free? All they’ve done is add this feature to make the game be able to earn more money in the future and they got the community to make MOST OF THIS DLC FOR THEM and have use it to test the DLC thingy works.

If you can disagree with any of what I’ve just said, youre an IDIOT. Oh dear, I guess that makes ME childish and stupid huh?

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by simonmd.
    Pasi
    Participant

I can only agree with you Simonmd. And i’ll voice my concerns here too regarding the developments on this latest patch.

Freeing up more things on the game for modding, spells to me a plan to stop official support for it. Just like it happened in Simcity, Offline came and mod support was accepted, and the plug was pulled then. And if you think how small team it is behind this title, they don’t have the resources to keep this going as they need to make money and have another title releasing in the future. Be it TF2 or something else, whilst that is on development, resources can not be allocated to fix the old title as there isn’t much more they can do without re writing the whole thing.

I hope i’m wrong but i’m expecting to see 1 or 2 more patches, if even those and that’s it then. From there on, modding community will keep the title alive and fix the issues they can.

electricmonk2k
    Participant

>there isn’t much more they can do without re writing the whole thing.

Personally, I disagree with this. TF contains a lot of small problems that could be fixed with very little effort (such as changing the mouse-cursor depending on which mode the UI is in (select, construct, bulldoze etc.), displaying the information for a particular line that’s currently in the “Mange lines” window in the “Line” window (eg. which vehicles are using the line), and so on…

While the pace of updates is slow, they do happen. It’s just that everyone has a different wishlist for what they want to see. Personally, I think that for now they should just focus on the really small fixes and shoot down a large number of bullet-points on the TODO-list. Also, I hope they fix all the small to medium issues before they go onto TF2. TF2 should be for big changes such as multiplayer, AI, boats, underground stations and proper U-Bahn networks, etc.

Also, bear in mind that the programmers and artists on UG are different people, so if UG were focused on exclusively fixing the game-issues, the artists would be twiddling their thumbs (and occasionally making a new UI-icon). Unless even more things in the game are to be made moddable, the artists could go ahead and make new vehicles, buildings, textures etc. and create an entire new DLC while the programmers sort the game out.

bv
    Participant

Since we have not seen their core code, we have no idea how flexible or well-written it is. From the exposed parts of the game, I would guess that it is rather well made.

The problem areas are in some of the design choices, and given the small staff and need for priorities I can understand that. I have, myself, lost more money on game startups than I like to think about. I think it was a bad decision to make one game release to cover the entire 1850-2000+ era. The effort is spread too thin. It would have been wiser to make a really polished 1850-1900 base game with a sufficient number of vehicles to enable realistic transport systems. Then, they would have been able to sell 1900-1950, 1950-2000 and 2000+ add-ons to create a sufficient cash flow to increase the development effort.

For me, the biggest disappointment is the unrealistic turn around of trains and the lack of proper freight train handling. Most freight trains do not stop at a platform to get loaded and unloaded like a passenger train. We should have a need for marshaling yards, shunting and sidings where cars are left for loading and unloading. This kind of activities are demanding on game logic, but does not use much computer resources so it would not cause a performance hit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.