Vehcile Replacement Feature

Home Forums General Discussion Vehcile Replacement Feature

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Jirnsum
    Participant

This is definitely something that needs to be implemented. Right now it’s way too much of a hassle, especially when fleets get larger

gax
    Participant

You do know that you can send all vehicles of a line to depot and automatically sell them on arrival by clicking on the appropriate button in the line manager, don´t you?  Then all you have to do is to click on the depot, set line all, buy the new vehicles and confirm the line set. That´s 30 secs max.

douglas
    Participant

30 seconds per vehicle in a big fleet is a lot of time. Also not everyone build depots everywhere. The train have to travel a lot to be replaced and that means the line is not being served for months or even years.

I think it should have a tool to replace vehicles and and easy way to replace vehicles was promised by the devs even before the launch.

yid
    Participant

A special killer is the “if the train goes into the depot, all freight is lost”-feature. We need some command like: “Dear train, go into the depot, update your locomotive (or carts) and get back to the line, as soon as possible (when you pass the next depot).”. Even better to be able to do this for all trains in the same line.

gax
    Participant

Lol no, 30 secs per line.

douglas
    Participant

Well in practice its not like that, you know. Not all vehicles in one line will age same amount. Plus vehicles can’t always find path to depot depending the position they are. Its a struggle to replace trains.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well honestly mmaybe they can just a simplest solution – more expensive but instant replace. I know it is not realistic, but if we can reverse train instantly without going through pain of doing it in real way, then instant upgrade would be nice. better this way than spendong three hours on micromanaging all vehicles.

douglas
    Participant

Yes I agree. Or at least something like Locomotion, that you can place the train anywhere in the track, like with your hands. And also remove this way.

grimdanfango
    Participant

It is a little bit of a conflict of realism vs. abstraction.  The assumption is that a train making 3-4 journeys in a year is effectively representative of a real world train making several journeys each day… but then when you have to send the vehicle to a depot, the game treats it completely literally, which manifests in it taking anything up to a year to “service” a single train… when in reality it might only take a couple of days.

On that “representative” timescale, servicing or replacing a train should be something that can happen almost instantaneously, so yeah, while it might make it *appear* a little less realistic, it would ultimately model reality closer to allow you to delete and place trains wherever you want them, as Locomotion did it.

It’s a shame there isn’t a better way to balance the two aspects though, as I rather like the idea of having to send vehicles to depots.

Bozon
    Participant

I vote up for this one. Definitely this micro-management of replacing the old vehicles just ruins all the fun of the game. I have to put a speed on slow and wait for 10 minutes until 4 carriages number 1, 10,12,17 from the green line reaches the depot to replace them, then the same procedure for carriages number 2,3,4, 11,21,41,45 from the red line, then for the carriages 5,6,7,65,66,67,98,105 from the pink line and so on… so I stopped at 10% of what needs to be done to post my frustration about it here.

For The Attention of Devs:

Please, can you shunt the ageing of the vehicles on the next patch until you find something more sophisticated to this issue. Thank you.

grimdanfango
    Participant

As an interrim solution, and just because I find it more straightforward anyway, I find I tend to wait until I build up the funds to fully purchase/replace a line’s fleet in one go, rather than adding extra vehicles over time.  Makes life a hell of a lot easier.  Pause, click the send-back-and-sell button, buy a fleet of replacements, assign to line, unpause.  Job done.

It’s not an absolute that you have to replace a vehicle the moment its official lifetime is up.  I’ve noticed the official lifetime is only really a recommendation… all vehicles will increase their running costs steadily over time, and will continue to after their official sell-by-date.  A few years one way or the other isn’t that big a deal.  In fact I’ve had horse-carts hang around for over 40 years on occasion, and still remain just about profitable even with +125% running costs 😛

Admittedly, I haven’t actually gotten that far through the game yet, and I’m playing on Hard, so I only have a couple of towns with tram and truck services, and a single train line running between three towns… ~30 trams, ~50 trucks, and 4 trains.  I can imagine even with the convenience of quick mass-replacing, it could get unmanagable later in the game when you get up into the multiple-hundreds!

douglas
    Participant

@Bozon and all the others that might be interested:

You can remove lifespan of vehicles till a solution is found with this mod: http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/mod-timeless-vehicles/

Anonymous
    Inactive

GrimfanDango.

Well personally I would not allow to place and delete train anywhere on tracks. For this I still like the idea of depots. if sou want to purchase new train, if you want to delete it, or if you want to add a vagons, then Im totally fine with need to go to the depot. That is making route design more interesting in my opinion.

But if you want to just replace locomotive for a new one – let me do it instantly. Same for the trucks.

gax
    Participant

I agree that the vehicle replacement needs improvement. That being said, replacing busses or trucks doesn´t need more than 30 seconds PER LINE. That is not hard at all! For all the claims that you have vehicles of different ages, pathfindung issues etc., that is absolutely no big deal.

1. I change the whole line at once, wich gives all vehicles the same age.  If there is one or two wich have been added at a different time and still have a few years to go, i change them as well.  The money i loose by selling them earlier is ridiculously little.

2. Every city should have it´s own depot for street vehicles. That means there are no pathfinding issues. Once i click the appropriate button, ALL vehicles of the line travel autonomously to the depot and get sold automatically.  There is no need to wait and babysit.

3. I actually like the additional work of sending a train to a depot. It gives the game a nice roleplaying touch, as i have to help the train like a dispatcher, sending it through a network of other lines and trains without causing traffic jams and losses. If you want less work, construct more depots and/or create a more clever network with better accessibility. Or wait for a patch to “make the game more user friendly”, aka automatize. Oh well, if the devs can make it optional,  everybody can be happy.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by gax.
    bv
    Participant

My preferred solution is to have a rule hierarchy. On the top level you set routes to be local, interurban or long distance for each type (train, road, tram) . Then you enter your preferred replacement unit and max age for each vehicle type. This will have the units automatically replaced when they are close to a depot and near end of life, or sent to nearest depot when older than max age. It ought to work for replacing individual cars in a train.

For an override, I would like to be able to have a different rule for lines serviced by a given depot. Some towns might have a higher or lower priority for new rolling stock.

I would want to be able to tag a given unit with “no sell” to retain some museum pieces.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.