Warning when electrifying your lines

Home Forums General Discussion Warning when electrifying your lines

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    leew
    Participant

Hi, recently decided to electrify all my lines.  At the moment you need to add the wires one section at a time (there is no “all connected track” option like there is in Chris Sawyers Locomotion).  I then added a few electric locos.  I then went on to build a new line.  Once I had finished the new line I noticed my bank balance plummeting, it had dropped from about 60 m to about 50m.  I then noticed that my main rail line was making a huge loss, when last year it had made a huge profit.  I then noticed that most of the trains were bunched up, the train at the front of the bunch was stuck at a station.  Anyway after a while of looking, I finally managed to find this tiny gap in the electric wires:

I only managed to find the gap after I had gone over all the track with the wire building tool looking for it to turn green. So when adding wires to your lines, make sure you find every tiny gap before adding electric trains!

Suggestions to devs:
    1: add an “all connected track” option when adding electric wires so we don’t need to find and fix tiny gaps like that above
    2: add a notification if a train gets stuck so I can do something about it promptly before it costs me millions (that tiny gap above cost me about $20 million in the end).

OzWally
    Participant

Yes that happened to me yesterday and I had to find the missing gap slowly.

Nique
    Participant

Yup.. also, removing tracks is kinda picky.. the collision box for the rail is just wrong (very precise). Not very handy. The game is great at some points. But at other points i really think this game is just something that is a byproduct of more scientific urban planning software (procedural city engine software). The UI is very very simple and a lot of things aren’t finished. For usability the tracks should be demolish-able when you hover your mouse over it. Even when you are hovering in between 2 beams of the track..

nickos111
    Participant

Ive also had this twice. Also dont forget to ‘electrify’ your trainstations.

@Nique
    I totally get your point. And I agree.

mackintosh
    Participant

Indeed, I had to change my whole mainline layout because there was a pixel sized bit of overhead left over from the old track that I could not bulldoze. Very annoying.

Azrael
    Participant

Totally agreed, in RRT 2 or 3 or even both, don’t know which one exactly, there was, as soon as electric locomotives and thus canaries became available, a mechanic that helped a lot.
    If you bought an electric locomotive and tried to send it onto an unelectrified troute, the game opened up a window like this:

Warning: The route you want to send the locomotive on is unelectrified. Do you want to electrify the route for <sum, what the electrification of the whole route would cost>$?

I think that in combination with a “Warning, the max speed of your train exeeds 120 km/h, do you want to upgrade the route to highspeed tracks for <sum of the upgrade cost>$?”-Warning would find a huge agreement in the community 🙂

RickD
    Participant

Thank you so much for posting this Leew – without this warning I would have wondered wtf was happening with my new electric trains. Devs this needs to be fixed asap IMO, sometimes its the tiniest segment of track that causes the issue, it is hard to find even with the foresight of this warning

cireon
    Participant

Yeah, I ran into a similar problem as well, that is why I always double check the line in the lines interface after adding electric trains to it. My suggestion would be to add an overlay option that highlights electrified and non-electrified tracks in two bright different colours. Maybe this could tie in nicely with an overlay that shows the maximum speed of a piece of track, even after building.

atpat
    Participant

Perhaps obvious, but I’ll say it anyway: the reason this happens is because, unlike the road building, the railway switches can’t be placed absolutely at the edge of the adjacent object (station or another switch). There always has to be a gap, of up to three ‘clicks’ minimum I’ve found. Hence you get these tiny slivers of track at such places, which are then a pain in the backside come electrification; or reconstruction, for that matter: I spent some time trying to figure out why there was a collision on the alignment I’d just demolished track from, only eventually to spot the single sleeper that escaped demolition, lurking in the shadows under a bridge.

Cashflow being critical, it doesn’t take very long for backed-up trains to destroy the finances irrevocably.

Lesson learned…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.