What I'd really like to see

Home Forums General Discussion What I'd really like to see

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Neil-R
    Participant

How is it this game has completely flown under my radar, I only just found out about a few weeks back and decided after viewing various youtube vids to buy it.

One question though and something I’d really like to see from a train sim is more realistic train movements in stations especially end stop stations, so instead of seeing your train automatically turn around, it would be great if you had to build switches and fiddle yards and see your train decouple, move to the front of your carriages/wagons and recouple. Also, does anyone know if you can drop off cargo and passengers at the same station or specially tell a train what cargo to pick up from a multi cargo station?

Steve
    Participant

Would be nice to see locos run around the train but it doesn’t appear we’ll have that in the game that ships, however it might be something that could be modded into the game. Although, you would need more advanced options for signalling. I believe waypoints are going to be included in the game so that would also be required to have trains run around.

As it appears up to now, the type of freight a train carries is dependent upon the type of freight car your train is pulling, there doesn’t appear to be a way to specifically select a freight type – there isn’t even an unload only option to only unload freight at a particular station. Also, there appears to be two station types, passenger and freight, and the two are not interchangeable – ie you can’t have a freight train drop off or pick up freight at a passenger only station.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Steve.
    Neil-R
    Participant

Thanks Steve for your clarification, a bit disappointing about the lack of granular control of cargo types but like you say hopefully mods will help improve this as well as add new station features and train management. Actually I’m a web programmer but I’ve never modded a game before but I could be tempted to look under the hood of TF and see what’s what. You don’t know what scripting language mods will require do you?

Steve
    Participant

The scripting language hasn’t been divulged as yet, we’re still awaiting information on the modding tools. I suspect it might be something along the lines of lua, being the most popular scripting language for games though. But having said that, it’s very much a “wait and see” affair – it could end up being something entirely proprietary to the game engine, particularly if it’s something they’ve created specifically for TF.

Steve
    Participant

Some further thought on run around operations. I guess it would only be possible if the remaining consist remains persistent. From what I’ve seen, consists do seem to be persistent however I’m not absolutely sure if a consist without a loco would be persistent. Also, we’d need to figure out if locos can actually detach from the consist and then re-attach to it.

If the above is possible, then I can see having vast arrays of sidings with rolling stock sitting in it… could end up being quite expensive having all that sitting around doing nothing though, very much like a real railway 😉

Personally I think it’s a fascinating idea and worthy of some experimentation when we get some further information on what we can legally do with modding. There might be some restrictions on what we can actually mod.

GeoffersH
    Participant

I don’t think for this type of game, it would be possible to make it more like Rail Simulator, where you could control trains to perform certain shunting movements. I don’t think that was the intention from the outset. It has been modelled more like Sid Meirs Locomotion and Cities in Motion, rather than a proper driving simulator. But Trains seem to be classed as the most important transport system in the game, hence the name Train Fever. It could just have easily have been called Transport Fever.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.