Can we please get a sticky that will explain all of TF’s pathfinding and signalling limitations? This is a topic that’s showing up literally everywhere all the time.
Here, let me get you started, the following are limitations of the pathfinding system that I have ran into, feel free to add and modify this, as I’m sure I could be wrong.
- One line per platform on multiplatform terminus stations
- Two platforms per line on intermediate multiplatform stations
- Trains cannot and will not use empty platforms under any circumstances, they will only use the platforms they have been assigned
- Paths, once calculated, are set and are not altered throughout the game (subject to signaling and track alterations)
- Trains do not overtake, it is impossible to create a siding for slower trains to wait, as the pathfinding system will gravitate to the outmost track*
* this of course can be altered by running non-electrified and electrified track side by side, but this list isn’t about workarounds, just limitations