Achievement: Only use trains!?!

Home Forums General Discussion Achievement: Only use trains!?!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kimmaz
    Participant

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has done this achievement, and how you opened/started.

• can you use trams?
    • What year can you/do you have to start in?

I usually start with trucks delivering oil/iron/goods, then ill populate 5-6 cities with trams and when i got like $2mill income per year i save and try my luck on trains. I have tested going for a train earlier than that but it usually makes me go bankrupt.

Blokker_1999
    Participant

Haven’t tried it myself yet. I guess you need a bit of luck. Start out with industry i guess and hope you can get a line with a lot of load, preferably between two cities so you can start with 1 train, single track, 4 stations and get it going.

Pasi
    Participant

Trains only doesn’t have other limitations like no more loan etc. so it was pretty easy, especially if you do it on easy or medium difficulty level.

1) Find a nice location where you can connect 4-5 cities for passenger traffic. 3-4 in one line, and branch line to 1 city giving you a hub city with links to 3 other cities.

2) Single track with passing loop in half way between each city

3) 2 trains with 7-8 coaches on each per each connection between cities. So you branch line has 2 trains and main line 6 or 8 trains (3 or 4 cities). Remember to make stations as a passing loops too.

3-4 years in and you are raking over a million each year in profit making rest of the game dead easy. Cities don’t need local transportation, people will walk to the station. You can help the growth by buildin roads on both sides of the station and giving shortest possible walking routes from each area.

That will do it, works even on hard difficulty, but you will need loan to do it so it is not suitable way to get the hard achievement which doesn’t allow any loan. On that you need to start with horses and after Mack buses upgrade to trains.

And in any case, ignore the goods.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Pasi.
    Blokker_1999
    Participant

Seems logical. Did a quick try with that setup and it does works. Altough next time i should be more carefull about how I release my trains from the depot. Also, gotta make sure to keep the branched line traffic away from the main line traffic (add an extra platform on the hub).

kimmaz
    Participant

did you start in 1850 when you did this?

Blokker_1999
    Participant

To reach an achievment that tells you to reach the year 2000 i guess you are required to start in 1850

Blokker_1999
    Participant

Pasi, thanks for the help. I built a new map. Got a pretty nice one this time and was actually able to lay out a track in X form with 2 lines crossing each other on the hub. I did loan the max. amount of money ($10M) and placed double track everywhere (to minimize waiting time for my trains) and after only 3 years i did start to make a profit. I only noticed i didn’t have enough signals on one piece of one line and therefore trains got stuck, so i had to send one back to the depot. 6 years in the game and i’m making more profit than on my first succesfull map after a century :p

Oh, i did go for 10 cars on a train. Read somewhere (on another site i guess) that that was the sweetspot for these first trains.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Blokker_1999.
    Pasi
    Participant

No probs. Glad it worked for you too and i’ll give it a go with longer trains too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.