Any tutorials on adding custom vehicles to this game?

Home Forums Modding Any tutorials on adding custom vehicles to this game?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    flanker
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to 3d stuff but I know some basics already. I’d like to create a new model from a blueprint (I’m using a trial version of Rhino 3D at the moment) and I watched a lot of tutorials on how to do the technical part (drawing and creating a 3d object from scratch).
    Now, I would definitely love if someone could point me to a tutorial on how to transfer my locomotive (once I get it done) from Rhino to Train Fever. Is there any kind of tutorial on how to add texture to finished models and then transfer that model to this game?

It probably sounds like a super-noob question but I’m willing to learn and I have a lot of free time right now… 🙂

Tattoo
    Participant

There is a bunch of info on the German site in the Lexicon section. Most are in German but some have been translated. Is this just a locomotive or a multi-part passenger train? It’ll be easy if it’s just a locomotive. If it’s a multi-part train, it’ll be more difficult but not that hard unless you need fakebogies for it to work. Fakebogies are confusing a lot of people but they’re not that hard once you understand how they work.

The way I learned how vehicles and others are done in TF is to import the vehicle parts into Max and then go from there. When importing, be sure to uncheck anything to change the centers or any axis flips. I didn’t know this at first and had me guessing because of it until I figured out to uncheck that stuff.

Let me know if you have more questions and I’ll help if I can. Also, everything I imported from TF is rotated 90 degrees clockwise looking from the top down.

flanker
    Participant

Thank you for your reply Tattoo 🙂

I browsed through the lexicon section, there’s some info on how to create buildings. Maybe I’ll go with that for starters as it looked relatively straightforward to me.

My plan is to build a set of locomotives used in ŽFBH (Bosnian railroad company, ’cause that’s where I live) even today.

ŽFBH 212 will be my first project, it’s practically a refurbished V100 locomotive with modernized lighting and various modern additions.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by flanker.
    Tattoo
    Participant

I don’t know if the buildings thing will help you. I’m assuming that you know how to model and only need to know how to get your models into TF. The loco in the image above looks like a non-electric loco so getting it into TF will be easy. I would suggest opening the file named, nohab.mdl. This is the diesel loco in TF. This is what I used for mine. This file should work fine for you. You would just rename it and change the entries in it for your model.

I’ll help you to get started. You’ll need to find all of these files in your Train Fever folder. These are the files you’ll need to change to setup your own loco;

res\models\group\vehicle\train
    nohab_lod_0_bogie.grp <– usually the group for bogies. used for other things too.

res\models\material\vehicle\train
    train_nohab.mtl <– the material file

res\models\mesh\vehicle\train\nohab
    nohab_lod_0_b1.msh <– change the .mtl in each of these
    nohab_lod_0_b1.msh.blob <– the models
    nohab_lod_0_body.msh
    nohab_lod_0_body.msh.blob
    nohab_lod_0_w1.msh
    nohab_lod_0_w1.msh.blob

res\models\model\vehicle\train
    nohab.mdl <– the file that hold all the info of the vehicle

res\textures\models\vehicle\train <– vehicle textures
    train_nohab.tga
    train_nohab_nrml.tga

res\textures\ui\models\vehicle\train <– not sure where this is shown
    nohab.tga

res\textures\ui\models_small\vehicle\train <– image shown in depot
    nohab.tga

I would suggest opening these files to look inside at how everything is laid out. This is pretty much all the info you need and is what I used for my locos.

Once you look at these files, let me know what else you need and I'll help ya with what I know.

Tattoo
    Participant

You also need the converter. This is the good one. The other one doesn’t work as well.

Train Fever Converter (BR146)

Let me know if you need help with this.

flanker
    Participant

Thank you very much for all the detailed info! You’re very helpful. I’ll look into all of these files and if I have any additional questions I’ll be sure to ask here. Also, I won’t forget your help so if I manage to place some of these models to the game in the end, I’ll put you in the credits 🙂

Cheers

Skiwee
    Participant

best place to start is this:

as for modeling; the track-gauge is 1.5m wide

and the overhead line is 6m high.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Modding’ is closed to new topics and replies.