Are we likely to see any additional performance improvements?

Home Forums Support Are we likely to see any additional performance improvements?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FX2K
    Participant

Just a simple question…

Are you (the devs) looking at further performance improvements / UI improvements (esp the ones with low performance) in the near future.

The reasons I ask is:

1. You may consider it to now be performing at optimal levels, especially if referencing the following… where you state the game runs fast.

Most important, the update (build 4519) brings the long awaited performance boost. Navigation, rendering, simulation and line manager performance have been significantly improved. The game now runs more fluently and big lags are history. However, note that the first view still needs some processing time, but as soon as a region has been explored the game runs fast.

2. The recent release notes state you are now moving on to features.

In the next days and weeks, we focus on developing new features as already announced earlier.

I honestly find it very difficult to believe that you are able to play your own game with acceptable performance past a particular point, unless acceptable is 10fps.  There are numerous ‘design’ decisions which obviously contribute to constant performance issues, such as the vehicle windows / notification of vehicle replacements alongside other issues which appear to relate to rendering.

I’m not expecting an answer to be fair, but it would be nice to know that you are not ‘content’ with the performance and would like to improve it more.

Sidenote: I would love to know what systems you play on when testing.

FX2K
    Participant

I’m just going to leave this here….

This was recorded with afterburner, loading a game on the highest graphics settings and following a train using the default view when choosing follow, through 3 cities.

In the middle, I changed graphics to the lowest (all of them) and did the identical thing.
    Not a great deal of difference between the two settings.

FPS is quite simply, dreadful.  GPU usage is ~ 15%  CPU Usage is equally low.

I have no idea how the requirements for the game are so low, when I exceed them by huge proportions and it performs this bad… anyway, enjoy the charts…

Direct Link: http://i.imgur.com/Un0nM13.png

Direct Link: http://i.imgur.com/KVh3Yz7.png

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    uzurpator
    Participant

Actually, I see a solid 100% CPU load there 🙂 Which confirms my earlier diagnosis – the game is CPU bound, most likely due to batch count issues.

FX2K
    Participant

I don’t see a solid 100% cpu load, I see a momentary spike which is occurring during the end of month transactions, which cause a small pause.  But that does not explain the low overall performance.

The two cores in use, being CPU1, 3 and  5,7… are usually between 25% and 35% (hyperthreading ofc) but the end of the month also seems to affect the remaining cores too.  The end of the month pause is not a major concern, its the 15fps.

FX2K
    Participant

Also, if I leave the game running and look out of the map, I get 120+ FPS with vsync disabled.  The simulation is not causing the performance drop, otherwise it would surely show during that.  Aside from the end of month of course

Fact is, 15fps is simply not playable, the mouse cursor is affected badly, the game is not smooth at any point.
    How people scraping the minimum spec’s are getting on with this, I don’t know.

I am not expecting 100fps nor 60fps, but even a smooth 30fps is unobtainable.
    I guess I will return to playing the game if their are further optimisations for performance, if not… I’m now done.

FX2K
    Participant

And finally… here is a comparison against CIM2, zooming in, out traversing the map, following a vehicle… FPS rarely drops below 55fps is smooth as butter and a lot more ‘dense’.. I know the simulation aspect is a little different, but even so.

Opening multiple vehicle windows / line menus etc does not kill the performance, like it does in TF either.. but thats due to the PIP.   CIM2 has vsync on hence the maxing out at 60fps.

Then… this is another TF one, showing initially me looking top down at an empty field between two cities, getting 200fps.. admittedly not much to render…About 1/2 way in, I open the lines menu, select a vehicle, click follow and close the popup windows…

And yes, the huge spikes are the end of month transactions which appear to be split into 4 processes and lock up everything else for a brief period.

Anyway, no more edits or additions… I hope at some point in the future the devs can make improvements.

mikael

Thank you for your analysis.

We’re not ending with optimisations, just trying to focus some features because a lot of the players have a fine performance atm. and we want to please them too.

On our PC with an Intel i7-3770 and a Geforce gtx660 we get more than 60fps on a new game and with a really intense map (about 150-200 vehicles) the fps drops to 20-30fps but is still playable. We do have to improve the CPU usage on those intense maps to get a better performance.

We did hear in the early days that Afterburner does influence the performance of Train Fever. Have you tried to run it without Afterburner? 

FX2K
    Participant

Yes, I mostly run without afterburner (or any background software i.e fraps), these where so that I could show what was happening, or in regards to afterburner, what was happening over time.

Just so you know, I will follow this up with Basil over the next day or so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.