Changing the capacity of vehicles produces varied results!

Home Forums Modding Changing the capacity of vehicles produces varied results!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NyetComrade
    Participant

When editing some vehicles the capacity parameter in the mdl file is a direct indication of what the capacity is in-game. On others, it isn’t.

For instance, the Hbi car (vanilla numbers).

capacities = {
    { type = “WOOD”, capacity = 52 },
    { type = “GOODS”, capacity = 52 }

Why doesn’t this translate directly to 52 goods per car in game? Other vehicles do. Reducing these ~66% to 17 each results in the car having only a capacity of 4 wood/goods. What is the reasoning behind this behavior?

My goal is to re-balance the capacity and cost of trains to necessitate longer trains. I have come across this anomaly in the process.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by NyetComrade.
    steveb
    Participant

Am not sure I understand what you mean… you set 17 and ingame it shows 4? Can you take a screen? It does sound like a bug I guess…

NyetComrade
    Participant

Here, I’ve taken a screen shot of both the original file and the game capacity. Stock.

Truthfully, I could just fidget with the figures until they’re to my liking. I just seek to understand why this behaves one way, while others behave as expected.

Further prodding shows that, for whatever reason, the in-game result is always the rounded result of dividing by 4. 52/4=13 and 17/4=4.25

Just seems odd that this freight car and the semi-truck are afflicted.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by NyetComrade.
    Reblet
    Participant

All capacities are divided by 4 in-game.

Supposedly this is so you put real-world capacities in the mdl file and the game will translate that to TF capacities.

steveb
    Participant

Well that doesn’t make any sense… why divide by 4? There is no relation to the real-world figures since we don’t know if those units are in tones/cm. Besides, the average player will just look at ingame values and not go through the game files to know of that real-world relation anyway. Looks like a bug to me…

Timmiej93
    Participant

That does make sense. There is no reason why it has been divided by 4, the developers just chose that number, so if you build a new train model, you can put in the real amount of seats, and the game will translate it to a more playable amount. Definitely not a bug.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Modding’ is closed to new topics and replies.