help finding out how many wagons

Home Forums General Discussion help finding out how many wagons

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Person012345
    Participant

Only if they offer a way to disable it (and it should be disabled by default). I don’t care, I don’t want it and I would find it annoying as hell.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Person012345.
    matsv201
    Participant

It´s not that simple. RRT use a really simplified model  where they partly just use unite load and don´t model hill correctly (and transport tycoon). In Locomotion they use a little more sophisticated model where they moddle weight of cargo in regard of acceleration, but still use a simplified models in hill-climbing (and decenting).

In train-fever the speed of the train is not modeled, it´s simulated. The game don´t know how fast the train is going to run trow the corner.
    I guess the game uses a secondary algorithm to guesstimate the travletime, but its really hard to get it correct with out a pure simulation. One way of dealing with this could be to pause the game for a tenth of a second, run a instant simulation and show the result, or letting the game engine run a “dirty” simulation simultaneously and plot out the simulation on a graph. The graph i done over could be considers a simple dirty simulation. If i had a rail-line specification i could easily make a somewhat god approximation of the total travletime

douglas
    Participant

@Person012345 Count me in. Don’t need this stupid information.

Bartalos
    Participant

@douglas

@Person012345 

well, if you think that spending half the time ingame saving and loading game through main menu figuring out ideal train consists for every route is FUN then go for it.

i dont see the point of you two writing such a negative comments in this topic. (if you dont like, then shut up and post elsewhere your suggestions and ideas)

matsv201
    Participant

With the formula its quite easy to make graphs for every single engine if anyone care…

Bartalos
    Participant

i do

matsv201
    Participant

Can someone post the information about the engines, i just have the one i my savegame available and the one on the steam page is faulty

Reblet
    Participant

@ Bartalos

The game apparently uses fairly real railway physics to make the trains roll, so to the only way to answer your question is to use railway physics.

However, a reasonable quick and dirty approximation for the total mass of a given train could be:

m = P / ( 0.2 * vmax)

Where m is total train mass, P the power of the loc and vmax the maximum speed of the loc (or a maximum speed that you find acceptable :).

This should give a train with sufficient oomph to maintain full speed on a 1 degree slope. For hilly tracks, use less carriages. For really smooth tracks, you could add more, but keep in mind the time it will take to reach maximum speed will also increase.

Bartalos
    Participant

@reblet – thanks i will try this

Reblet
    Participant

What I should have added is that vmax is in m/s… For km/h you would get:

m = P / ( 0.055 * vmax)

Also since those early steamers don’t have a lot of power, I use

m = P/ (0.025 * vmax)

to get a decent train length for those. But they will have trouble will with hilly parts, so best to keep them running in nice flat terrain!

matsv201
    Participant

Yea, generally in early poarts of the games, go around the hills, only use the lowest hill climb (unless very few wagons). The early steamers can basicly do any turn in full speed (or almost)

When 1902 arives a dubble in speed and a lot more puling power, its better to go mostly over the hills or a hybrid where goes party over and partly around.

Note that placing a up hill part like 500 meters out side a station is a dumb ideá. Sould really try to make it flat until 500 meters from the station, than down hill for 500 meters or so, this give the trains optimum acceleration

Ray
    Participant

I was going to ask the same thing…how many can a train pull without losing speed. Personally I liked the system in the good old Railroad Tycoon where you could show up information about the trains. And it showed it’s speed with 1, 2, 3… up to 9 wagons. No calculations were needed. It may not work this way with Train-Fever due to different wagon weights…but some help in the GUI would for sure be helpful.

Person012345
    Participant

@Bartalos, I never have to save and load. You don’t have to get hostile just because someone disagrees with you. I just said that if it is going to be in game, there needs to be a way to disable it because some of us DO NOT WANT this information. We are not interested in min-maxing everything and we’re perfectly capable of adding or taking away carriages based on their actual performance. Having that information there would simply be irritating.

Traian Trante
    Participant

@Reblet thak you for that formula, that is very helpfull !!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.