How long is too long?

Home Forums General Discussion How long is too long?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    douglas
    Participant

I constantly have a problem with cargo in this game. First because I still don’t get the scale of it. How much frequency is too much? Or too little? And how long is too long for cargo?

I like to make long routes for cargo, because I get to have long trains, but they don’t always work. Specially using mods like Cargo mod and Advanced Industry Mod. A complex chain usually doesn’t work at all. Even with 11 minutes frequency, the industries simple don’t produce. And I think that is due to the amount of time the train takes in the rout.

No matter the frequency, a cargo picked in one place will only be delivery when the train travels the entire route. So if I make one route that takes more than 20 minutes (to be safe 15) it doesn’t matter how many trains I put on it, it will never come to live.

So how long is too long? I have a train feeding 3 cities, it doesn’t work. The distance of the cities is more or less the same in all maps. So a route crossing 3 cities is too long?

Lowell
    Participant

I have been watching that as well Douglas. Scratching my head…preferring to make long routes myself, or often in many cases I have to make long routes anyway to get said resource. One long route for wood…seemed to take forever to just get three cars full. Closer ones seem to develop faster?

Something else that may be on the same line is I have seen trains take off with say twenty passengers, only to have a couple passengers just vanish halfway through the trip. Guess my passenger service is so bad they are jumping trains in mid transit. 😛

vinkandoi
    Participant

I am using Advanced Train fever total and serving a chain producing 150 units. This is what I did when the production of the chain was apprx 120 units for each industry.

I made a target to supply each industry with 200 units per year (so that i will not have change trains until the production reaches 200).  A year is equal to apprx 12 minutes.

Now lets say one train running between 2 stations has frequency of 11 mins.

So I would either make a single train carrying 200 units of cargo or two trains each carrying 100 or 110 units of cargo. This way I am assured that my lines are capable of delivering 200 loads of cargo in 12 minutes.

However I am still experimenting and waiting for the results.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by vinkandoi.
    Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

I think that the 20min rule is the culprit for preventing long freight trips.

I find it impossible to satisfy the freight demand for towns on a map that do not have complete production chains located nearby.  Bringing in a commodity from a distance any further than the distance to the next town is impossible due to transport time exceeding the 20min rule.  High frequency dedicated freight line do not work over longer distances, even with high frequency service.

What we need is a clever modder to create a mod that enables us to vary the 20min rule for freight, and also (ideally separately) for passengers as well.

Kiwi-NZ
    Participant

Lol, Douglas has made a Tutorial and is struggling with the game. Lol !!!

Maybe you should read my Tutorials [Advanced] Train Fever + CargoMod Part 1 and 2 in total 140 pages.

However:

Frequency for Resources has to be less than 9 Minutes, Frequency for Goods has to be less than 5 Minutes (based on City demand). Walking-time is included.

@Scale

You can calculate distance divided by earnings to amount of Cargo. Modifier for Persons to transport are 1 and the modifier for Cargo is 2.

douglas
    Participant

I find it impossible to satisfy the freight demand for towns on a map that do not have complete production chains located nearby.  Bringing in a commodity from a distance any further than the distance to the next town is impossible due to transport time exceeding the 20min rule.  High frequency dedicated freight line do not work over longer distances, even with high frequency service.

That is for me the biggest problem of this game, along with cargo/passengers disappearing along the trip and performance.

That is because if I make routes shorter than what I already have I can easily use trucks, no need to train.

Maybe you should read my Tutorials [Advanced] Train Fever + CargoMod Part 1 and 2 in total 140 pages.

If you are talking about the same guide I’m thinking, its all in German. Can’t read german.

If goods needs to be less than 5 minutes, I stop playing this game today. This is ridiculous. A route with trains with 5 min frequency means very short routes and very short trains, maximum 6 wagons (RRT2 all over again).

Kiwi-NZ
    Participant

The Tutorial is also available in ENGLISH.

Frequency has nothing to do with Travel-time. Travel-time has to be less than 20 Minutes. City demand is yearly as well the production output. (12 Minutes = 1 Year).

douglas
    Participant

That is the problem then. If my routes must obey the 20 minute rule I need to know that as well, not only frequency. I already don’t know the walking time, if the travel time is also hidden, the whole thing is a huge guess. This rule should be moddable.

Kiwi-NZ
    Participant

To calculate Travel-time, the best is to use “Ghost-trains” for each line.

For walking-time you have to calculate at least 30 sec. from Industry to Cargo_Station and from Cargo_Station located at city for the final goods you have to calculate 90 sec. because goods has to be delivered to the doorstep of each building.

There is no guess, read my Tutorial in “ENGLISH”, this will help a lot.

vinkandoi
    Participant

Hi Kiwi-Nz

I am using your Advanced Train fever total

I am not being able to deliver oil to Plastic plant from a long distance even if the frequency of one train is 12 minutes. I am running 4 trains between them and the frequency is 3 minus. Could it be because the Plastic plant is receiving oil from a nearby Oil wells by walking? Or is it because the game is poor on receiving cargo from long distances compared to shorter distances even if it is by walking

This nearby Oil wells is already serving a color plant. The problem is that, since the plastic plant is receiving by walking, its production is not increasing from more than 13 units.

Person012345
    Participant

The frequency is how long the cargo expects to wait at the station. You then need to consider how long the cargo will take to get to it’s destination (the train journey and the “walk”) and add that to the frequency. 11 minutes is too long, look at halving that. Yes, if the line is longer than 20 minutes (though 20 minutes is a decent amount of time, assuming any kind of modernish train it should be able to get anywhere in that time, not so much the earlier trains maybe) then it won’t work, try a closer industry.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Person012345.
    vinkandoi
    Participant

Actually it was a bug in the game. I tried another industry (plastic plant) which was more or less the same distance far to the oil wells. To my surprised it worked.

The problem is than plastic plant was receiving oil by walking which was preventing another oil wells to supply it.

isidoro
    Participant

@Person012345: I would say that it is half the frequency (in fact, its inverse), the time one expects to wait at the station.  That is, if the frequency is, say, 10 minutes, I expect to wait for 5 minutes (sometimes, I will wait nothing, sometimes, if I am unlucky, and the train has just departed, I have to wait full 10 minutes).  In average, 5 minutes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.