Industry and carrying goods by train

Home Forums General Discussion Industry and carrying goods by train

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BFalcon
    Participant

I can confirm that the under-10-minutes trains still happily haul cargo, although mainly for raw materials, it seems less happy doing so with goods – the amount (and hence the production of the factory) tends to fall off when you swap to trains…

One thing to remember, though – in the 1800’s, the trains are much faster than the road alternative, so despite being more expensive, they can still be highly useful. Another thing to remember, they DO like more frequent hauls when possible, so rather than double-headering trains, it might be better to swap to 2 trains instead. I found myself triple-headering an iron ore train early on and suddenly found myself wondering why the heck I was doing so when I could be running 3 smaller trains instead, so ensuring a much smoother income and supply.

ifurkend
    Participant

@theuros:

1. No difference.

2. I don’t think there is any difference. Unlike Transport Tycoon, there is not even a penalty for train departure time. It simply looks awkward when the train doesn’t fit into the station and head of the train may disappear if there is no track further from the station.

3. Feeding goods stimulates town growth as well as providing Intercity passenger transports. Building any station/stop in the town may boom new town building in the nearby land but the effect is only one-off.

4. It will not be 50/50. From my observation, the factory with lower production will further diminish its production rate to give way for the higher production factory. I don’t think the service frequencies are factored in this “competition”. So it’s still better to transport goods from 1 factory instead of 2 or more, especially for cargo railway due to its high running cost. You can have 1 cargo train to serve 2 towns from 1 factory for maximum loading capacity (factory A -> town A -> factory A -> town B ->loop), so it’s 1 locomotive instead of 2 with literally the same total amount of wagons, as long as you don’t break the 20 min rule.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by ifurkend.
    theuros
    Participant

thanx for your answer

About point 2. I noticed that in goods waiting in one station get up to 160 units max. Maybe this is the limit of small stations. I have to replace it with a big one to check the difference.

I hate that industries are placed on the map without any logic, so is hard to create a nice and efficient transport.

DK115
    Participant

@theuros

What I understand is that platform length is related to a limited of goods or passengers. A 160 m platform has a limit of 160, a 240m of 240 and a 320m of 320 goods or passengers. And what I understand (but pls confirm!) is that the only thing which makes the difference between platform lengths.

No penalty/problems with long trains and small platforms (or even no stops), no possibilty to use (longer) platforms for multiple (small) trains at the same time, etc. But maybe I am missing something here?

Bastargre
    Participant

@DK115. it would indeed be nice to have on a 320m meter platform the option to split the platform in an a-side and a b-side just like at most of the stations in the netherlands. and if there is a switch in the middle it would even be more perfect

atpat
    Participant

I think the balance between two supplying factories will depend on the total journey time from factory to industrial building in the town, won’t it? If both factories are delivering to the same goods station then it will come down to the line frequencies, and you would expect the fastest delivery to win in the end.

Bastagre: for platforms divided into two (A/B sides – some UK stations use this arrangement too, for example York P5a/5b, but not in that case with simultaneous, opposite arrivals and departures), just place two stations end-to-end! A junction between wouldn’t work without enough space though.

BFalcon
    Participant

One thing I’d like to see is passenger stations also able to accept Goods… right now, there’s only one reason for having a industrial station in a city and that’s to accept goods. If we could combine the two, it’d eliminate one of the bulky stations and allow us to either streamline our networks or build stations dedicated to the direction of travel a lot easier.

I seem to remember mixed trains being a thing here in the UK and also scenes of crates being offloaded at normal stations, particularly on branch lines for small towns or villages where two stations and lines just didn’t make financial sense. might it not make sense to do so in game for goods arriving in our towns and cities?

NeighborKid
    Participant

I’m still running into issue.  Example-

I’m running one of the mods that makes you take ore, and coal to a steel plant. From steel plant to Steel to good plant. After that I have them running to 5 different towns.

I’m running very long mixed trains with double headers.. Now I have the trains going in under 9 minutes. I have 4 trains running this line.  The train will maybe pull goods to the first city, but after that I barely get them to take goods to the other 4. The stations are a bit outside of the towns(does this create a problem?)  Also my industry will produce up to 136, and then immediately will say “line usage- NO” and cut production instantly until a train comes back. The production will still decrease rapidly.  I’m kinda stuck on what to do. Also playing further than the 40’s makes it really touch on trains competing with personal cars.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.