New game content…how much is too much

Home Forums General Discussion New game content…how much is too much

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lowell
    Participant

I have over 16 gig in my res folder LoL

Some mods will get messed up after updates and need re-loaded.

My thought is how much in new game content can the game handle before it becomes unstable? At this time I am going to pull the res folder, re-install a clean copy of the game maybe load only a couple of my favorite mods for now…hold-off on all others.

Thoughts?

Lowell
    Participant

Now I should say I have never had any crashes…but on medium maps after connecting five cities the game starts to stagger a tad.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Lowell.
    johanns
    Participant

Need for biggest maps on 64-x OS. And may take support airplain transport and helicopters.

douglas
    Participant

You probably have backup in there. Some mods managers make backup inside res folder. So you probably should do a clean up there. Or use TFGM where you can choose the manager folder (library, repository).

Lowell
    Participant

Sure, each of the mod managers have backup folders…easiest way is just to remove the res folder, let Steam replace whatever files. You are good as new. I saved all the compressed files I have anyway.

My question was how many mods can be active at any given time as it may cause the game to become unstable if it has to load too much new content and manage it all at once. It may not be an issue not sure.

Mods are fine. I simply re-loaded and activated what ones are my favorites. I needed to have a clean slate to make a start point for TFGM. I had started using the game manager after I had several mods installed, so I never set it up correctly.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Lowell.
    douglas
    Participant

Well not even the devs have the answer for that. You want a number of mods? Just depends. Simple depends on your machine. I highly doubted the game will give you a message: “you reached the maximum number of mods. Please stop downloading that!”

If you have 16 Gb of mods its just 16 more Gb of data loading in the game. Eventually the game will be slow and will be unplayable. Of course it depends on what the mod does. There are mods for performance increase (they will eliminate smoke and people from the map) so most probably this one will help instead of load more things. Some mods change UI image files to smaller ones. Also helps. Not all mods just add more things to load, except trains, stations, etc.

Lowell
    Participant

In Trainz I run over 340gig of content. I can open a list inside the editor and the menu “Loads” it all for me to select.

In TrainFever I had 16gig all turned up. After the reload and refit it now runs smooth.

Xcenty
    Participant

The amount of data you’ve on your HD is not the amount of data used in the game.

Your res folder have many subfolders. Each of them has a special meaning.

Some are used to display a model, some are used to texture a model, some are used to script the game …

So it’s very difficult to say what kind of data is used when you play. (example : the mesh, texture and model used for the TFV will not be used until you put one TFV on a track) It’s better for you to use a monitor tool which will maybe give the best approach.

The same goes for almost every game.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Xcenty.
    Lowell
    Participant

I realize that I make many game mods and am making them for this game.

What I am referring to is the in-game menu. In the later years, many newer models were active in the train and car list. When it would open, the game would lag terribly. So when I mention active game content that is what I am referring to…and yes the Dev’s would have an answer for this as they most likely have tons of new and other test models in their game files.

The game needs to be able to handle loading such levels of engines and or cars, or making tons of mods is useless.

douglas
    Participant

Important to notice that res folder is part of the not, not a mod only folder. 2.52 Gb is the original res folder.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.