OpenGL context creation failed

Home Forums Support OpenGL context creation failed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ironcladcc2224
    Participant

Hello! I bought Train Fever a while ago, and just installed it now after finishing RAGE and freeing space (i should get ride of some more old games…) It says OpenGL context creation failed, please update video card drivers. I’m all up to date, i have just the onboard basic video setup for my Toshiba Satellite, it plays everything perfectly, but won’t play this. All the threads i’ve been reading through, everyone has fancy nVidia cards and what not. I know the “most common problems” thread says that it’s probably that I don’t have a powerful enough setup, but that seams kinda off. Maybe i’m just dumb. Help?

mikael

Try to have a look at the problem with the notebooks using the wrong graphics card.

First make sure your notebook does reach the minimal specs needed to run Train Fever.

What technical data does your Toshiba Satellite have? 

ironcladcc2224
    Participant

what top-down game could warrant this much graphic intensity?

Yep

mikael

I’ve researched your notebook specs and could only find some models with an Intel HD 3000 graphics chip. This does not meet the minimal specs for Train Fever. You need atleast a Nvidia GeForce 8800 512 MB / ATI Radeon HD 3850 512 MB or anything with more power.

ironcladcc2224
    Participant

wellllllllll damn

that kinda sucks

thanks for your help, mate.

jv7
    Participant

Glad I found this info Mikael. I just downloaded the game and I have a

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I’m also trying to play another game that says I need Shader 3.0. Would the card you named take care of this problem also?

Thanks

admin
    Keymaster

The cards Mikael mentioned are no longer sold. Also please note, that they represent the absolute minimum required to run Train Fever (and other games), not the optimum.

I´m not a hardware expert, so this is my personal opinion, on which other people might disagree, but at the moment I would suggest looking for a Radeon R7 250X or 260X as – again – a minimum for current games. If you can spend more consider a Radeon R7 370 or a GeForce GTX 950.

To my best knowledge they should support at least OpenGL 4.4 and Shader Model 5.0. Please double check with your vendor that your current PC is capable of running the card.

Also, in some cases a update to the latest driver version enables an older card to use a newer OpenGL versions or Shader Models.

Tom

jv7
    Participant

Thanks so much for your help. Tom. It is really appreciated.

jv7
    Participant

Above is a screenshot of what I have, and here are the requirements for the Radeon R7 370:

PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
    500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended.
    600W power supply (or greater) with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire technology in dual mode.
    The operation of AMD CrossFire technology in dual mode requires a second AMD Radeon R7 360 graphics card and an AMD CrossFire Ready motherboard.
    Minimum 4GB of system memory 8GB (or more) system memory recommended for AMD CrossFire technology.
    Installation software requires CD-ROM drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a display. Latest AMD Catalyst software also available at http://www.amd.com/catalyst
    DVD playback requires DVD drive and a DVD.
    Blu-ray playback requires Blu-ray drive and a Blu-ray disc.

My question now is, can my system can handle it?

admin
    Keymaster

Hello!

From what I can tell your system has a PCI x16 2.0 slot. The R 370 (and any other modern card) require a PCI x16 3.0 slot, but usually still runs in a 2.0 slot with reduced performance. I have to stress, that it >should< run (most vendors claim it will), but there is no guarantee. Tom

jv7
    Participant

OK, thanks again Tom. Looks like the only thing to do is order it and see. I’ll let you know how I make out.

jv7
    Participant

I just put the new card in, no problem, then got a message saying “no signal”.

Took the new card back out and put the old one back in and got the same message.

I’be contacted the manufacturer but they haven’t gotten back to me.

Any ideas?

admin
    Keymaster

I´m happy to help you out with a couple of suggestions. Please send me a quick email, it will make it easier for me to ask and answer. You can find the address on the about page: http://www.train-fever.com/about/urban-games/

Tom

jv7
    Participant

Many many thanks to Tom! He helped me out and got me going. Now I can enjoy this game, which looks pretty cool so far.

Thank you, Tom!

Jerry

jv7
    Participant

Thought I would give you an update. Quite simply, everything is working fine and I really enjoy the game.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.