Opinion: cost rebalance

Home Forums General Discussion Opinion: cost rebalance

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    RickD
    Participant

oh wow, I didn’t realise that you could specifically change the prices for electric / steam etc

jimutt
    Participant

@trainjunkie  I’m thinking of making a nice “cost-editor” with a simple GUI for easily chaning the different costs in-game. Though I don’t have that much free-time as usual due to studies and work. So I’m not sure when or if I’ll be able to make it really.

trainjunkie
    Participant

Haha pretty much the same here I’ll try to make it quick before the semester starts again… I was more thinking along the lines of an out-of-game C++/lua/whatever program with maybe a backup files option.

jimutt
    Participant

My semester has already begun, so perhaps you’ll have more time on your hands 😉  Well anything’ll work if you just don’t need to edit all files manually 😉

I do believe that there is a cost mod in the mod section of the forums though. But I haven’t tried it so I don’t know how good it is really.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by jimutt.
    KilrBe3
    Participant

@trainjunkie there is this Mod already; http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/10-Cost-mod/

But not sure if you aiming for some thing as he is or whatnot. I know in that its Running cost for ALL and not Train focus. But then there is also this; http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/29-Halbierte-Betriebskosten-f%C3%BCr-Lokomotiven-Trams-Waggons-und-Busse-Lowered-running/

So you’d have to see. Personally I tried both, and i don’t know. Just didn’t feel right, even when editing them myself to adjust numbers. Rather learn Vanilla more. Plus I am learning to make money in those bad parts/not spamming trains. Which I’d love too do, but to get a mod to do so, which also is 100% profit… kinda ruins the fun.

trainjunkie
    Participant

Well I am almost there with my lua programming so I will post it for whoever is interested but I really want sth which

• is not accessible in game (too tempting otherwise)
    • can finetune all the above mentionned ratios as a stock and not go through each value (e.g. running costs for electric locs -> /3.4). both mentionned mods are good but not exactly what I’m looking for.
    • simple and practical (no GUI but adaptable to game upgrades/mods without too much hassle.

I can make money in vanilla (not that hard once you get the bells&whistles), I just find it more fun once tuned (higher cost/ higher profit.)

RickD
    Participant

a script to do this would be awesome, don’t really feel like going through each one and deciding how much its runnning costs should be. Maybe the script could just set it to a percentage of its current value

crossmr
    Participant

Yes, costs are really out of whack. I had a line I struggled for years to make profitable and couldn’t. I had a train running coal to a mill. The place was producing for 2 towns so it needed a lot. Not a very long trip, but I took 32 each trip and brought back 12 goods on each trip.

Hard difficulty.

No matter what I did, I lost 250-300k/year.

Then the train aged out, I tried to replace with electric but it didn’t help, it was more expensive. Finally I sold it, replaced it with 3-4 high speed trucks and it’s making hundreds of thousands. It seems like there is little reason to use trains in Train Fever at all. that one early train that costs 750,000 per year to run is just ridiculous.

I might try this out with some custom tweaks and see. Will it affect existing games?

trainjunkie
    Participant

The trick to making money in vanilla on freigth trains is making them long enough, because the further away the stations the moure douh it makes. My coal runs were trains full of 60-70 coal and they make you 2 mil per year. So you find yourself in the absurd situation of choosing a mine on the otherside of the map instead of right next to the factory.

trainjunkie
    Participant

And yes changes are immediate

crossmr
    Participant

The trick to making money in vanilla on freigth trains is making them long enough, because the further away the stations the moure douh it makes. My coal runs were trains full of 60-70 coal and they make you 2 mil per year. So you find yourself in the absurd situation of choosing a mine on the otherside of the map instead of right next to the factory.

That’s not a trick. That’s just poor design rearing its ugly head again. but I’m not sure how you made 2 million off something like that…were you playing on hard? I had no problem on easy making money on trains, it’s hard that it’s an issue. sure i’d double income by taking 60 coal over 32 coal, but having to go much further would double running costs at least and eat that up even further. Heck, doubling the income wouldn’t barely have made  me break even on that run.

genburson
    Participant

Where can I change tram tracks maintenance cost?

trainjunkie
    Participant

The tram tracks are maintenance free I suppose, as are tracks and roads in general

I’m posting my script in the modding section

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by trainjunkie.
    trainjunkie
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.