People die on trains

Home Forums General Discussion People die on trains

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Martin Mulder
    Participant

Did anyone else notice that trains loose people?

My train is fully loaded with people when it leaves the station. When it arrives it has lost some people along the way. Did they die? Did they jump? Where did they go?

isidoro
    Participant

Some people say that it is because the destination no longer exists (it has been replaced by something else), but the most probable reason is the 20-minute rule: no travel is possible if it exceeds 20 minutes.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by isidoro.
    Pasi
    Participant

If it would be the 20 min rule, they wouldn’t travel in the first place.

It really is because their home or building where they were going to doesn’t exist anymore.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pasi : I’m quite sure that this is not how it work. The game can not predict if train will be full or not, if they will be stuck because of other trains, if trams/buses will be stuck because of other cars etc… So there could be passengers with a potential travel time of less than 20min which disapear because the travel actually take more than 20 min. And i think this is the main reason of passenger disappearing. It’s quite common on busy lines.

Pasi
    Participant

After they make their decision to travel, they don’t disappear. They wait until they get where they were going. Happens constantly on my games. Hundreds of people waiting at the platform, and only people who’s target or origin building is destroyed, disappear.

isidoro
    Participant

I think that it is necessary an experiment to settle this… 😉

I’ve chosen a random sim waiting at a station.  From his info window, I’ve located the destination.  Once it was on the vehicle, I’ve hit the pause button.  I have then blown up the destination building and, alas!, a passenger just disappeared from the vehicle…

It seems that Pasi is right, they disappear when the destination disappears.

The only question left is if they also disappear when a time limit is reached, but that is more difficult to check, I’m afraid…

Anonymous
    Inactive

They indeed disappear when the destination is no longer valid. I was just responding to the first part of the message. It’s difficult to test with passengers but you can easily check it with oil/wood/iron/coal. Make a loaded train wait and you will see ressources starting to disappear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My previous post was badly formulated as i wrote it in a hurry before going to work, i didn’t test it. But it would be interesting to know 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, they disappear. I posted this bug some months ago but choosed German as language. More, I found out yesterday that not only passengers disappear but also freight. 🙁

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

They disappear when their destination is re-developed, this applies to both passengers and goods; the game treats them in the same way!

Passengers disappear when their destination is redeveloped in your towns.  Goods have destinations in commercial building, if they are redeveloped the goods disappear.

Basic commodities oil, ore, coal and timber have destinations in processing plants, as these are never redeveloped they should never disappear.  I have never noticed these disappearing!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Norfolk_Chris.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, and you think that is ok? I think that’s disturbing.

moriety
    Participant

It isn’t acceptable.

I’ve been attempting some of the “Hard” achievements: After about 40 new starts I noticed that train fares are so poor that only bright, brand new trains break-even or return a small profit at best, and only for about 5 years, and unlike Railway history.

I watched in one attempt, my single train taking her first 20 passengers, at journey end 13 remained. That one journey crippled the entire game and wasted an hour of my life.

This company needs to balance passenger demand along with train/bus/tram capacity against supply as the world grows, along with fares on the hard level. Their failure to do so on all levels gives me no confidence in the developers, who on ‘hard level’ seem to have decided fares on the back of a beer mat in the local Pub, but then forgot to check if it worked on Monday.

I noticed this was a crowd-funded product, if this is the average level of professionalism this company works at, then I firstly hope to God they never go to work in the UK, and secondly think twice about crowd-funding a bunch of amateurs.

gcampono
    Participant

I commonly play on hard and find it is really tooeasy to make money – even with trains I usually make lines that usually display profits o 1-3 millions that connect several cities and have several trains on them – to the point that my only challenge is trying to reach 1 billion before year 2000.

I usually start with cargo lines and inter-city busses for the first 10-20 years. Then I am usually switching to trains because I like them most even though I am not sure if they are economically better. Of course you have to feed your railways lines correctly with intra-city busses (which usually have a slight loss in the order of 0-50K).

Yes, the game would benefit from some balancing between busses/trams and trains: busses are usually cheaper in total cost per passenger and km (considerng also depreciation, loading capacities and speed), especially in the beginning. Trains also require a costlier infrastrucutre.

On the other hand, train usually have a higher speed and therefore allow passengers to travel farther in the 20 minutes line (providing you give them the possibility to do so) and thus you can increase the fares they pay (which, I guess, only depends on distance). Considering that, I am not sure that inter-city busses would be economically superior than trains, provided you connect more than one city and allow passengers to travel farther.

All considered, I think the game is fairly well made given its complexity and I am certainly glad I bought it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.