[suggestion] Please change *.tga to *.jpg for game assets

Home Forums General Discussion [suggestion] Please change *.tga to *.jpg for game assets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    uzurpator
    Participant

During my modding I have noticed that TF has alot of unused assets and uses TGA as its base storage format. This is quite annoying because I run the game off an SSD, thus space it at premium. The A 3/5 skin with normal map is 16 MB alone.

I suggest to change the storage format to PNG or JPG ( depending on presence of alpha channel ) and please clean up the installation directory 🙂

medopu
    Participant

I know there are games who also use PNG format instead of JPG (Europa universalis series, victoria series from paradox), and instead of fixing that issue, the developers said they cannot fix it by not ruining the game somehow.

I don’t know, I hope train fever developers will take this issue a bit more seriously and actually fix this if they can. I also have SSD and limited space on it.

uzurpator
    Participant

Why on earth would that break the game?

I have been using libraries that abstract away image format and expose the raw bits for years. Like  CxImage or Zlib. This is 1 hour of effort to change this.

Let’s make it 8 hours in production environment.

uzurpator
    Participant

EDIT: I meant freeimage, not zlib.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.