The Problem with the collision at RR Crossings

Home Forums General Discussion The Problem with the collision at RR Crossings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kursbuchstrecke
    Participant

Hello to all

In my opinion the building of RR Crossings isn’t flexible enough. In the early times, when most of those crossings were build, the track just had been layed over the road. This caused often to very small angles like this one in Espelkamp: https://www.google.de/maps/@52.4031381,8.619987,384m/data=!3m1!1e3

Or maybe some more creative solutions like in Lohne:

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Lohne+%28Oldenburg%29/@52.6684347,8.2307621,394m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47b745f97269b6fd:0x6c75851403c57fa9

To allow such constructions would make the building of tracks much easier, but mainly a problem with building RR Crossings is the “Not enough space”. Very often this Problem is seen, when directly behind a Station with 3 or more tracks should be a Crossing cause to build it, the tracks need to be connected as a double or triple-track. When we take a look to a Crossing in Groß Gleidingen we see, it isn’t neccesary, that the tracks lay directly together, there also can be a further road between them:

https://www.google.de/maps/@52.2342299,10.4511791,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

I hope this problem could once be solved.

regards

Blokker_1999
    Participant

You can actually get some pretty decent angels in TF, the most import thing is that your section of road has to be long enough on both sides. Often the roads layed down by the game itself exists of verry shory sections and the game does not allow you to cross the road close to a section border.

The second link will probably never happen. It’s a verry complex crossing irl and i really doubt they run much trains on that particular line given it’s location (usually seen on industrial lines). There are some constraints that you have to acknowledge in a game as TF when designing everything.

The third is possible, as long as you don’t attempt to cross to close to the section borders (a crossing will always be a section of road in it’s own)

Probably could have kept that one closer to the other railroad.

What bothers me more about crossing is that you can only make them with creating a track over a road and not the other way around. You always have to build tunnels or bridges or else demolish your tracks, place your road and replace your tracks (and hope that that didn’t screw up your lines or did not reverse any train).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Blokker_1999.
    simonmd
    Participant

The rule to remember is that you cannot cross a ‘node’, no matter what the angle. A node is where two bits of road join and can be on straight sections as well as curved ones. If it is not a main connection (argh that thing again!), delete the road and relay it in one section so there are less nodes to get in the way.

Kursbuchstrecke
    Participant

@Blokker_1999, simonmd: ok, that with the road connections I didn’t know, thanks for this information…

@Blokker_1999
    : The Crossing in Lohne is used two times an hour+fright train in the night, so a normal used local Railroad. But the third problem already exists and when you have a road directly next to the end of an station with three or more tracks you have to bulldoze it and build it new farer away, cause it isn’t possible to got with all three tracks out otherwise…

Varana
    Participant

Part of that problem is that we have very little control over the placement of stations, esp. regarding their height.

Stations are always completely flat (which is fine), but their height only depends on the height of the station entrance, i.e. where it connects to the road. Also, they’re aggressively snapping to roads, we can’t change a station’s height even if it’s not connected to anything, and it snaps to roads but not to existing rails. Even minor changes in placement, i.e. by replacing a station with a longer one, adding a track to the station, or upgrading the road it snapped to and replacing the station in the process may lead to rather large differences in height of the new tracks, compared to the old ones, and the surrounding roads.

In the end, a track/road configuration that worked before doesn’t work anymore, and the surrounding area has to be restructured.

Improving the placement of stations (more control for the player), snapping to rails, and upgrading by just adding stuff to stations instead of completely replacing them, would help a lot there.

Similar things happen any time the game changes terrain, e.g. when building bridges. It’s often next to impossible to exactly recreate a track that existed before, and even tiny differences in the position of a track may make it impossible to redo the track as it was before because the game is very unforgiving with terrain changes next to a place which it considers unchangeable like river banks, or streets.

simonmd
    Participant

You can actually change the height of a station but youre right in saying it’s not a intuitive or easy process. If you want the station to be higher or lower, simply use the landscaping tool to create a slight hump or dip in the terrain and place the station entrance there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.