Tram improvements

Home Forums General Discussion Tram improvements

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    isaacrg
    Participant

The tram system within this game is reasonable, but has some areas where improvements would be much appreciated.

For example, the vast majority of trams have pantographs(the section at the top for getting an electrical connection from overhead wires), yet they do not require overhead wires. If this were to be introduced as a new requirement(or vanilla mod), that would be brilliant.

Also, many trams in real life actually are capable of moving onto real-world train tracks when going between towns and cities. If this were made possible(alongside the equivalent speed improvements that are typically found with this), then Trams could be very much viable for inter-city travel, much like they are in the real world.

Please post thoughts and comments below.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by isaacrg. Reason: Added request for comment
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by isaacrg.
    Azrael
    Participant

Totally agreed for the pantographs, it annoys me a little everytime I see my trams with a pantograph pointing up into the air and only touching air, overhead wires for streets with tram tracks should be added.

For the trams travelling between cities on normal tracks, thats a relatively new invention, it first came up in about the 1980’s in the region around Karlsruhe and Karlsruhe itself in southwest Germany, hence this is called “Karlsruher Modell” in German.
    I don’t know, if this can be implemented and even if, it should only be able from around 1980 onward so it is realistic, but you can alrdy, as a work around, build a street with tram tracks between cities to have Intercity Tram lines or, more simple, use busses for that purpose.
    But neithertheless, if it can be implemented, I would like it.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Azrael.
    isaacrg
    Participant

@Arael Good to hear that you like the idea.

My difficulty with the usage of road for between cities arises from the problem that high speeds cannot be obtained from trams running on roads, and also cars would also be able to use the (perhaps shorter) tram route, making the tram less competitive.

Lowell
    Participant

Try the Interurban Pack that ( donoteat ) made…

http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/897-Interurban-Pack/

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

@Arael

For the trams travelling between cities on normal tracks, thats a relatively new invention, it first came up in about the 1980′s in the region around Karlsruhe and Karlsruhe itself in southwest Germany, hence this is called “Karlsruher Modell” in German.

This is not true!  Have you never heard of the great American ‘Interurban’ network?  This originated in the last years of the 19th century when electric traction had become a viable proposition. There was a vast network of inter-city interurban lines in the USA that operated for the first four decades of the 20th century; before their rapid demise in the 1950’s when motor cars almost destroyed all US public transportation outside the major cities.

The US interurban network was integrated with the main line railway network, many interurban line operated freight trains conveying main line railroad freight cars.  Some even survived carrying freight after ceasing passenger operation.

This would make a great addition to the USA DLC.  (Donoteat’s interurban pack goes some way to creating this, but it cannot allow full integration with the railway network due to it being strictly part of the separate tram nework.)

Azrael
    Participant

Never heard of it, but that doesn’t mean that you’re wrong, of course.

Let me correct myself, in the germanspeaking area of europe this is a relatively new invention, as said, in Karlsruhe they did it, atleast in Germany, for the first time with Trams equipped for two powering systems, one for the normal train tracks which use a higher voltage than the tram tracks and one for the tram tracks inside the cities.
    Thus the border between trams and “normal” trains is liquid, they move in the cities and for Intercitytravel they move onto the train tracks of the German Federal Railway, the Deutsche Bahn, and act as commuter trains.
    I guess, in Switzerland this is maybe more unknown than here in Germany, but I don’t know, logically thought, since Trams got more power in their motors than busses, the Swiss people must be using them more often than we Germans do because of their mountanious terrain and cities and villages, but thats just a guess, I don’t have any official numbers at my disposal to prove this.

A little offtopic:
    On this picture you see a tramstation of the “Karlsruher Stadtbahn”, in the background you can see a regional train of the Deutsche Bahn and a ramp with tracks leading from the tram towards the regular tracks.

To be honest, I grew up in the region, thus my fascination especially for this tram-train-system, childhood memories you know ^^

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

This has the same problem as American interurban in the Train-Fever game, as it does not allow inter-running between the tram network and the railway network.

This would require a radical alteration to the game structure by the Urban Games team to make the possible.  Nice idea all the same!

Nope17
    Participant

Well, it´s not that new for Europe either. The Badner Bahn connecting Vienna with Baden has been in service since 1886 and is still running today. In Vienna, the trains use the tramway lines from the Opera in the city center for about 4 km, then they run on train tracks for more than 20 km just to enter the town of Baden on tramway tracks again. Therefore late 19th century would work for Europe as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cities in Motion 2 did it long time ago, not sure if it was intentionally or just by mistake.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

Knowing CO it was probably a mistake!  But whatever it’s origin it was a great improvement to the game.  It would be very nice to see this feature made available in Train-Fever.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Norfolk_Chris.
    moriety
    Participant

A good start within the game would be to allow tram tracks cross a railway that is crossing the road! Bit of an oversight that one.

In some cases over half of a city cannot be served by trams (If trying to connect to the railway station), so you don’t bother at all.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

A good start within the game would be to allow tram tracks cross a railway that is crossing the road! Bit of an oversight that one.

Hey!  You can do this already!

You first need to bulldoze the the rail at the crossing (not the road),  then lay the tram tracks on the  road (you may want upgrade the road as well), then relay the rail line.  Job done!

medopu
    Participant

You first need to bulldoze the the rail at the crossing (not the road),  then lay the tram tracks on the  road (you may want upgrade the road as well), then relay the rail line.  Job done!

I can also confirm… this is possible, i’ve done it in my previous game.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.