Very big city

Home Forums General Discussion Very big city

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kingeek
    Participant

Hello everybody.

By destroying all other towns and making an octagonal layout in the one left (on a medium map) I have managed to build a city with a population of 11500. Al vehicles are modded to handle the enormous amount of passengers, by increasing speed, faster doors and capacity.

The game was starting to slow down a bit, but still quite playable, at about 95% line usage and only 100 cargo items supply shortage.

Industrial buildings were starting to fall behind by about a 1000 compared to the other 3, so I did a bit of googling and found that destroying all buildings in the wrong ‘zone’ could help, since the replacement buildings would be placed near the correct ‘zones’. So to get the industrial buildings closer to the cargo I crushed all buildings with the wrong colour and had a nice layout of the four building types. (this was quite a lot of work 🙂

The population dropped to about 5000 and instantly new buildings started to pop up, especially in the center of the city. Bigger buildings than before, quite nice to see. The plan had worked.

However; the end of the month lag suddenly introduced itself. So it seems that a city with loads of small buildings is no problem, but fewer small buildings near the center is. All other things in the game remained the same, the layout, the amount of lines/buses. The city is now back to a population of 8800, but the e.o.m. lag has gone from 0 to 35 seconds. A remarkable difference.

I am not complaining, I realist I am stressing the game by the modding and the demolition of all other cities. Just thought I’d share the experience with you.

Have a nice day,

eeK

System: Win 10 I7 3930K@4.1GHz, 32GB Radeon R9 200

kingeek
    Participant

Update:First off I’d like to correct my 35 seconds, this was an incident the actual number is around 9 seconds.

In another thread I read Tossi‘s remarks about removing the rails around the city. At the edge of the city I had 4 passenger railway lines, circling around the city with 8 stations. With modded trains this resulted in good travel times to the other side of the city and to the next quarter. I did make tunnels/ bridges to pass the rails at the stations to allow the city to grow outwards and it has.

I created 3 scenarios and while paying close attention to as many details as possible, ran them in the same way. I measured the times 3 months in a row each run. Once as is, once with the passenger trains removed and the lines deleted, and once with all the rails removed. (results are in seconds, 3 months)

As is: 09,11,12
    No lines: 08,11,07
    No rails:  07,07,05

This makes complete sense, as the more routes there are the longer path finding will take. However no new roads are being built yet , but slowly buildings are starting to appear where the track was.

I am now waiting for the roads to start connecting from both sides of where the rails were.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by kingeek.
    stevendshen
    Participant

Interested. Can you post a picture 🙂

kingeek
    Participant

Sure,

Before the mass destruction:
    Before

After,
    Before

Comparing the pictures I am wondering if the new buildings are in fact bigger or if that was just my imagination. See for yourself anyway 🙂

kingeek
    Participant

That went well. I can’t edit the post, so I’ll post the before picture in this one. Obviously the previous one is the after picture.

Before

isidoro
    Participant

Amazing!

kingeek
    Participant

Thanks Isidoro!

With the new strategy the population settled at about 9100. There may be various reasons for this but in the end it was not the ideal solution. I have gone back to the original layout and improved the railway connections for the cargo in the heart of the city, allowing cargo trains to leave/enter the station at higher speeds, thus making the time for cargo to travel shorter.

The end of month delays are now about 1-2 seconds, so hardly noticeable. The population is now 11850.

kingeek
    Participant

Population 12500.

kingeek
    Participant

Did a major overhaul on the railway system, now 10 tracks circular with the center ones zig-zagging so passengers can swap from one side of the city to the other. Still usage is low, because just using the bus lines is mostly faster. A lot of buildings had to be demolished to achieve this so population is under 15000 again, and I don’t think it will recover very fast.

kingeek
    Participant

Spoke a bit too soon in the other forum, the game now crashes at a certain point at the end of the month, can’t really tell why. Oh well, reached a population of 15.500 (before the major railroad upgrade) so not bad 🙂

Enzojz
    Participant

With this population your cities doesn’t touch other cities?

I have four cities of 3000 pop and they are starting to connect each other.

And I found star layout is not so good for road traffics

kingeek
    Participant

Hi Enzojz.

There are no other cities, check my first post for more info.

kingeek

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is kind of awesomly interesting, thanx for sharing the pictures and informations!

Now I wonder, if this is the only city, where do the train lines go that leaves it? 😀 😀

kingeek
    Participant

Hi 7even,

Glad you like my posts,

Check my second post for more info on that.

It isn’t very efficient, bus travel times are so good that traveling by rail was only interesting for a few citizens.

kingeek

nathaniel
    Participant

do you know if you can upload that save game so we can actually see what you’ve done

… my biggest city was only 500

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.