A few my suggestions for new game

Home Forums General Discussion A few my suggestions for new game

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    RAAndre
    Participant

RE:  “Also the station building should be revised. Building platforms should be done by draging platforms next to rails and afterwords ‘upgrading’ the platforms by deciding how to put the platform roofing. That way you can do simple changes to the station without having to demolish the whole station.”

Yes,  it also would be great to be able to designate different platforms for passenger and freight.  It would be cool to have say a three track station that has two tracks/platforms (or one central platform) for passenger trains and one track/platform for freight.  Two different entry points, one on each side, could be used for trucks on the freight platform and buses/trams on the passenger platforms.

Add the ability to update and modernize the stations through time and add new facilities – even automatically like the vehicle replacement function.

RAAndre
    Participant

RE: “I’m looking for something like Sid Meier’s Railroads!”

Yes, this game play comes pretty close to what I was looking for but it’s way too cartoony, the world is tiny and the game crashes all the time.  The industrial loading and unloading is fanciful but actually more visually interesting than in Train Fever.  Even some of my simple mobile train games have pretty good industrial animation.

Here’s hoping “Transport Fever” raises the bar on visual animation.  I just love to see the realistic action when things move and animate.

Geneo
    Participant

I have several “railroad” and “transportation” games.  But the one I keep going back to is OpenTTD.  The graphics are beyond horrid, laying track is a PITA, you can’t rotate the map, trucks are useless (if they’re making money, I replace taken-over trucks with a train ASAP), minimal animation.  However, gameplay is has.

Give me a modern looking/acting Railroads!/OpenTTD and you’d have a winner.  (Well, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.)

Many years ago, there was an oil company ad and their tag line was “If you don’t have an oil well, get one!”  Still remember it.
    The ability of building your own industries to complete your own transportation chains, instead of making do with what you’re given, would be a huge bonus. (“If I just had a factory about here…”)

(Gee, I don’t want much, do I?)

bobo90
    Participant

I also think railway tunnels and bridges should have there specs, maximum length, loading and speed and stuff. The more you advance the better of those will be available. This way you won’t be able to cross big waterways in the beginning and really have to climb to cross mountain ranges.

Also there should be connections to the outside of the maps and harbours and airports. So in some places there should be minimal height for bridges, so large ships can pass.

bobo90
    Participant

I also think railway tunnels and bridges should have there specs, maximum length, loading and speed and stuff. The more you advance the better of those will be available. This way you won’t be able to cross big waterways in the beginning and really have to climb to cross mountain ranges.

Also there should be connections to the outside of the maps and harbours and airports. So in some places there should be minimal height for bridges, so large ships can pass.

OIFEVT101
    Participant

I love the game, but there could be many changes to any new game to make it a little better for playability.

Industry: There should be a need for industry to be transported, and it needs to not be so spread out and not use the same stuff all over any given map.

1. Coal should maybe be in a few places and need to be transported to where it is needed (power plants, steel mills, etc)

2. Allow cities to have factories that actually use goods to produce other goods that will then also need to be transported. Coal and iron to a steel mill which produces steel for use in automobile manufacturing etc. On a large map for instance there may only be a few steel mills, one even, which allows for transport of manufactured goods to various regions.

3. Livestock, especially in the early years since in America, as an example, rail was widely used to transport cattle to large cities where it was butchered.

4. transport automobiles to cities around the map and please give us container cars for later years since thats how a vast majority of goods is transported by rail today. In later years change coal and ore cars from gondolas to hopper cars.

There are so many possibilities for transporting freight by rail, and the current game only implements a bare minimum of what is often transported. Often there is little to no reason to set up spur lines to goods since trucks do it just as effectively. Make it so rather than just needing x amount of goods for a city to grow, the city needs x amount of building supplies (lumber, steel, copper wire, etc) as well as x amount of other goods (plastics, electronics, various consumer goods. Some of these would be manufactured in cities around the map, while others would be brought into ports and transported via container cars.

Cities and human freight: right now human freight uses the 20 minute rule, but there is no reason to travel to other cities. Why not have people who desire to travel to certain places. They may need to use rail to travel to another city where they will get on another line that will take them to their destination.

Allow large cities to have smaller towns around them that may grow with the larger city and possibly become suburbs of the larger, allowing the building and usefulness of local tram lines to service the direct area and the outlying towns. A large city may even be a hub of rail travel with different lines connecting at large stations (think grand central station or others like it around the world). For these there may even be multiple levels where the east west lines come into the station at top and north south lines come in below. There should be reasons for connecting cities and towns, namely to meet a demand.

The various needs of people and industries could easily change over time. Gondolas used for transporting recyclable steel to recycling centers, copper popping up, aluminum, etc. As time progresses new industries and manufacturing capabilities begin to appear, but please give some rhyme and reason to raw material placement.

Allow changes to semi trucks. Now a semi always has the same trailer regardless of what it is hauling. Allow tanker trucks etc. I love the current game, but there are so many changes that could be made. Finally, for the love of all that is holy please integrate steam workshop for mods. This allows mod downloading and implementing to be done so much easier.

Please give us larger maps.

Tablemat
    Participant

I concur with the ideas about stations being alot more flexible. I find alot of the time spent in the game revolves around these structures in one way or another, so it makes sense to have them flexible and detailed, from a rural stop, to a grand terminus.

I would also like to see the disappearance of the truck depots, and instead have the industry connected to the road (they virtually require that anyway), and the trucks call at the industry to pick up/drop off stuff. Truck depots at the city? sure, but not industries.

And lastly, some sort of ‘research’ element – sort of a ‘build your own style engines/wagons’, rather than simply waiting for things to drop in for use by the general public, often not being what you want anyway.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.