Did Urban Games forgot about cross-tracks?

Home Forums General Discussion Did Urban Games forgot about cross-tracks?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    LaureeGrd
    Participant

Hi, sorry for bad english. I think the game is not finished yet. I’m still waiting to build cross tracks: . And sincerily, this final update has disappointed me. Because, y’know, I love the game and I really enjoy playing, but one of the things that keep me playing is the cool stuff they add for every update.

gcampono
    Participant

I also am unhappy that they did not implement some cross tracks, and I think now they will never do it (since it was the final patch). The only solution I found is I often cross tracks with brides (but what the hell with that collision error!!!!) or tunnels… I tried with some exchanges with signals but I sometimes get deadblocks (I must improve with signals 🙁 )

LaureeGrd
    Participant

Can you post a pic of that method? I know how to make bridges over a track but i didn’t understand what do you mean with signals and collission and that.

isidoro
    Participant

Have you tried this alternative?

Or this other one (a roundabout, it occupies more space)?

LaureeGrd
    Participant

Very interesting alternatives. I’ll try it later. But pls Urban Games, update the gameeee

Traian Trante
    Participant

To make a decent looking cross-track using bridges, first lower the track and terrain on the section you want to cross, then build the bridge on top of that lowered section. It works great !

gcampono
    Participant

Thanks @isodoro @traian for the suggestions.

I tried a similar method than the first one suggested by isidoro but my trains got stuck at signals (I must still learn how to place signals correctly)… maybe that was the problem, but is it correct not to place signals just as isidoro did ? Shouldn’t signals be placed on all four tracks entering the junction ?

Is it possilbe to lower a track without demolishing the track itself ? I find it annoying that when you change the track layout or even just electrify the track all the passengers (or cargo) just disappear from stations and trains and that takes a few years to recover.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

No, it’s not possible to lower tracks without first demolishing them.

Urban games promised that trains would not swap direction when tracks are modified in the latest patch.  Does this include not loosing all their passengers (or cargo) as well?  Has anyone tested this?

gcampono
    Participant

@Norfolk I played yesterday and I think the trains retained their passengers when I electrified the track. However all cargo/passengers waiting at the station were lost, but at least the industry did not fall to 1 immediately but continued with its normal output.

LaureeGrd
    Participant

Still needing gameplay updates. And lowering the terrain or making artifical hills? Come on, we have to put tracks, remove them, put more, remove and that. I don’t think it’s very realistic. We need a good terrain tool. The game’s terraim tools are crap

isidoro
    Participant

@gcampono:

I tried a similar method than the first one suggested by isidoro but my trains got stuck at signals (I must still learn how to place signals correctly)… maybe that was the problem, but is it correct not to place signals just as isidoro did ? Shouldn’t signals be placed on all four tracks entering the junction ?

I think that the correct way of doing the roundabout is the one I posted.  I assume that all the tracks are one-way.  We have four directions: NE, SE, SW, NW, each with an entrance track and a leaving track.  I also assume that trains drive on the right.  If you consider this, there are four one-way signals just in the four entrance tracks.

That way you avoid a train just stopped at a signal and blocking the roundabout.  If trains are long, if stopped at a signal at the roundabout, they could block an exit and another train could come in and prepare a deadlock, I guess.

The problem with both solutions is that if they are kept small, the speed limit is very low and the trains have to reduce their speed a lot when approaching the roundabout or the crossing.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by isidoro.
    gcampono
    Participant

Thanks isidoro. I was asking for the signals in the simpler (first) alternative. Is it right to have no signals or should I place four signals on all entries or should I place signals on only two of them ? Would this work even if we want to run more trains on each track ?

isidoro
    Participant

If tracks have only one direction, the wisest thing is to put one-directional signals on entrance tracks and nothing on exiting tracks.

If you don’t put any signal, one train can reserve the whole track including the crossing and prevent another train to even get near the crossing.  If you put signals and the crossing is occupied, at least another train can approach the crossing just up to the point just before the crossing.

If tracks are bidirectional, things get more complicated.  What I do is to put some buffers just before the crossing so that trains are never in the way of one another.

For example, in this picture, there is a one-directional track going from NE to SW, thus a signal at the entrance only.  There is also a bidirectional track going from NW to SE (or the opposite).  In this case, two buffers for trains to give way if another train goes in the same bidirectional track:

gcampono
    Participant

@isidoro Thank you very much, your explanation makes perfect sense to me. I’m just unsure about not putting the signal on the exiting one directional track: wouldn’t it imply that as long as the train is on that exiting track (until it reaches the station) the crossing would be blocked for the other trains ? Or does the game only consider the common portion of tracks (that is the crossing itself) ?

isidoro
    Participant

Train Fever doesn’t use block signals, but path signals.  That means that the trains will free reservations that are behind it.  So, once the crossing is passed, it will be freed.

If you put a signal on an outgoing track, a train may occasionally have to stop before it and block the crossing.  If things get complicated, that may lead to a deadlock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.