Increasing Line Capacity With Passing Loops

Home Forums General Discussion Increasing Line Capacity With Passing Loops

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

Indeed. Perhaps you could experiment with it in one of your streams Mansen? Be very interested to see how you get on with it. See if my calculated chance of error is correct that you would have some possibility of finding exact centre of the line and indeed achieving a uniform timing for trains at either end.

Mansen
    Participant

I don’t really think the timing matters – Unlike road vehicles, the trains don’t seem to have the same “wait at station to spread out interval” logic. Which is a shame – Would be nice if my passenger trains would try to stay spaced out more.

Tossi
    Participant

Indeed. Perhaps you could experiment with it in one of your streams Mansen? Be very interested to see how you get on with it. See if my calculated chance of error is correct that you would have some possibility of finding exact centre of the line and indeed achieving a uniform timing for trains at either end.

Hey, could you provide the calculations for a chance of error here in the topic?

ThePegasus1979
    Participant

Good explaination, but you have twice as much rail signaling systems installed than necessary. Signals are only used ahead of the 2 to 1 track junctions. The signals at the beginning of the 2 track sections are useless and a waste of money ;). In real life you only have “pre-signals” at that position, but that concept is not used in Train Fever.

Mansen
    Participant

At a price of 3K (and with more signal types) I’d hardly call the concept a waste.

ThePegasus1979
    Participant

Ok, maybe “waste” was a bit harsh, sorry. Let’s put it the way we at Deutsche Bahn call it: an uncessary intrusion into the environment 😉

Mansen
    Participant

Once the game is released I’m sure we’ll see a lot of clever designs that use the signals and switch mechanics on a whole different level. We already have a few betas who are making some really intricate networks – Stuff I wouldn’t have the imagination for outside of OpenTTD. 🙂

douglas
    Participant

an uncessary intrusion into the environment

Best thing I ever heard!

Cazadore
    Participant

i read this thread, i agree with anybody who says the signaling is good, but i propose something for the people who do not want or can invest time in learning how to signal properly, i reference to TT and OTT for this.

trains should automaticly find a free/alternative path, because if i watch a train on his tracks i constantly see the yellowish information that its looking for a free path. this should 1. also work in stations (so the trains approach the first free platform to load/unload), and 2. if i place two-way signals on the tracks trains should automaticly find a free way, without me intervening by setting signals to one-way only. this works in original Transport Tycoon and in Open transport tycoon … its fun to watch… for me at least.

of course, as i said, as an option. options are good, and the game should be fun for anybody right ? and there is no fun if two trains block each other constantly and you get into debt because of that, esp if that blockage blocks the whole main network with 16+ trains … not fun

just my two cents
    keep it up.

ebigunso
    Participant

Hey there! I’ve been playing Train Fever for about 60 hours now and it’s sure a lot of fun. Nice guide you have going, I hope you can make more 🙂

About the argument I support the “only out signal” approach.

What you have to consider is if and ever any train stops at a certain signal, will it block the oncoming train from the other side, be it face to face or the tail blocking a junction behind.

With the entry signal too close to the junction, if anything stops there it would block the outgoing of the train running the opposite way. This game tends to bunch up trains a lot due to difference in passenger loading times so it’s good to assume the “less likely” is probably going to happen. Every possibility has to be eliminated if you don’t want to babysit the line.

Anyways your guide is good for new people still, saves a lot of time figuring it out on your own. Please keep it coming 🙂

I guess the next thing on the line would be block signals? You haven’t covered that yet. In my first few days I couldn’t see the reasoning to put so many signals in the middle of the tracks, but then I went on to figure out the block signal concept. Hope a guide would help make more people realize the concept.

Bastargre
    Participant

Going off what you have said Mansen, regarding the amount of cash available at the start, it may be best to just use road transport to start with and get the industries producing, so that more funds are available to get at least a few rail lines in place. Best not to be too ambitious early on in the game I suppose. [source: GeoffersH]

@GeoffersH
    if you go for the train fever achievement you cant use trams/busses/trucks until 2000 so you need to have ambition

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.