My experience with build 5068

Home Forums General Discussion My experience with build 5068

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Xanos
    Participant

Thanks to Urban Games for the latest patch. In this post I want to share my experience:

Performance:

I cannot judge whether the performance is increased significantly, as I had no lags on “low” texture quality with older build. However, with high texture quality, I have only 10 FPS, same as before. (NVidia GTX 660 OC)

Street Bug:

I still have the street bug! And I am waiting painfully for the community to again remove this “feature”.
    http://www.train-fever.net/index.php/Thread/2500-Update-5068/?postID=37749#post37749

Crash To Desktop:

For the first time ever ( after about 200 hours) Train Fever crashes to Desktop with build 5068. I got three CTD in less than 30 minutes of playtime with this build. Again, I never had CTD before, with this build, three in a row and this is of course unacceptable for playing the game :/

http://www.train-fever.net/index.php/Thread/2500-Update-5068/?postID=37732#post37732

Other features:

Nice to have but with introduction of CTD and reintroduction of the “main street bug” I would gladly give all features “back” for a playable game 😉

Summary:

I hope the (new) bugs will be patched soon, and that the community is fast with providing a patch for the “main street issue”.

Cheers, Xanos

Update Build 5080: CTDs and main-street-bug are solved for me.

Update Build 5112: End-of-the-month lags are solved for me.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Xanos. Reason: added link to CTD image
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Xanos. Reason: typos
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Xanos.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Xanos.
    simonmd
    Participant

Do Urban Games even bother to test their work or are they just stabbing in the dark and using their PAYING CUSTOMERS to Beta test their game? Yet more proof that this is a game that was not fit for publication.

count_spedula
    Participant

The devs seem to like listening to community requests… so long as the request isn’t REMOVING or adding the option to TURN OFF main connections. After lag issues this seems to be the second biggest complaint, yet they fix the door animations and improve sound first? I may not post but I spend a fair ammount of time here and on the Steam community hub and never have I heard a complaint about the doppler effect. Why devs why? Good work on the multi-core support though, I would’ve been happy if that’s all they did in this update.

Xanos
    Participant

I think they in fact do test. Of course not every system combination can be tested. Naturally, I’m disappointed by the CTD that I experience (although I seem to be the only one (?)). Tomorrow I may take a look into it. However it would be a real shame if my safe game would be corrupted to a state in which I no longer can play it without CTDs – especially since everything was completely fine before the update!

Regarding the street “feature”: I can only say that I personally, although I consider myself an experienced player, never liked it. I will definitely not play while this feature remains on. Same as after this feature was introduced, I will stopp playing, until some patch like the one provided by eis_is is compatible to the new build.

I really like this game. I invested, created the TFMM, publish videos on my channel, act as moderator on tf|net and currently even work on my first mod. Given this, it only hurts more to be personally disappointed when patches degrade my gameplay experience.

Of course, as always, I can only speak for me. I very well noticed that for most people especially the performance fix made their experience much better and I appreciate this. But when it comes down to “if I can play a nice round of TF in the evening or not”, I must say that today was no “nice” evening for me.

Well, life has other things to give besides playing games. 😀 Furthermore, I believe that Urban Games will continue to deliver patches and one day, (almost) everybody will be happy with Train Fever. At least I hope so 😉

Good night.

fransgelden
    Participant

You experiencing overall lag on high texture settings? This is caused by the graphics card memory. Even 2GB is not enough, I think we need more than 3GB for the game to work smooth.

What I do can say is about the performance update is, less stutter than usual. This is a great improvement otherwise I was going crazy.

I don’t know what you mean by the street bug, because I never encounter such problem when demolishing a street segment. Was this bug created when the game build the street by itself? I only got problems demolishing the existing connection which is already connected with another town. The hauptverbindung is a real pain and I hate it! 😐

Can you please provide the link for the mod removing the feature. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by fransgelden. Reason: emotji
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by fransgelden.
    Dolph
    Participant

Yes! Nice update UG!

I saw yesterday evening theat TF had been patched and launched it immediately, loaded the map I’ve been playing lately and was surprised to se that the game that had earlier gracefully slid to a virtual halt (fps<5), now ran! Smooth! I was really happy with this until I realised that the game now instead pauses for about 5 to 10 seconds at the end of every month.. It gets annoying after some time. I’ve got a 2500k @ 4GHz, 850 evo, amd 7970GHz and 16Gb ram, what more do you ask? 🙂

But really UG, a great step in the right direction performance wise!

On to the main road feature. I don’t use it since I’m playing with an old save from before it was introduced and the main road feature is the reason I’m still on that save. I’ve tried it and I don’t fancy it. A feature like that could  work, but I think we need other tools to be able to work with it. Build planning while paused and a “commit” button?

But for now maybe it’s best to disable it and let people enjoy their sandbox experience? With the flaws that were already there.

Perhaps it’s time to add a beta branch option? That way you could try new features with some of your customers without pushing half finished ones onto people who don’t want to beta test stuff.

Cheers!

Xanos
    Participant

Regarding the texture quality: I only get lags on high texture quality after player for about 80 years on large maps. I do not know how the engine works but obiously, with increasing number of objects on the map, more and more Video RAM is needed. Normally I would expect that copies of the same model/texture would be used as a shared ressource. However, I assume that each model is loaded separately to the memory – resulting in tremendous amount of needed graphic memory when reaching a large number of objects on a map. – Correct me if I’m wrong.

Regarding the continuing existence of the “main street bug”: As soon as one (any) street that is considered a main connection is bulldozed, all streets on the map will be considered a main street from this point onward. This is a problem for all users of a patch that allowed deletions of main streets while having the patch active, regardless from eis_os (TFPatchPlus) or Omich (Train Fever Patcher). But, also “normal” users can reproduce this bug quite easily without any modifications necessary as shown by Razer339: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwg5FXLGI1Q (source: Post on train-fever.net)

As shown above, the bug can be reproduced without any modification in any way, so please fix this.

Cheers, Xanos

P.S.: If it would be my turn to decide upon the fate of the whole “main street feature” I would be glad to rip it from the face of the earth in no time (or at least rip it out of Train Fever 😉 ). Your intention may be comprehensible and even respectable, but with the current state of the game (I’m talking about the not quite perfect overall usability and mainly about the missing possibility to “plan” constructions) it is a huge pain in the -you know where- to have this feature activated. Sorry to say this guys, but without the community patches or old save games without this “feature” I would not have and will not play TF. (Although you got you money regardless if I continue to play or not 😉 )

I hope there are no hurt feeling, I just would love to see this feature be gone or at least integrated in a better way – more suited regarding the rest of the game: I already proposed at least one different possible way of integrating it “better” (imo) on the Steam forums.

Cheers again, Xanos

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Xanos. Reason: added P.S
    Blokker_1999
    Participant

Well, the perofrmance improvements still fail for me. At the end of every month, my game still freezes up for about 15 seconds when playing with the speed multiplier making the game unplayable. And since the “main connection” also has not been adressed makes one feel that this patch is a wasted opportunity, especially since it apperantly breaks the game even further for the people who used one of the unofficial patches to remove the main connection feature.

RonMaster
    Participant

performance is still very very bad. Even on slow speed all movements of trains, trams etc. stutter. with 12 cities on +/- 2800 average inhabitants it’s completely unplayable.

That’s with a intel i7 4790K Haswell, SSD 540 MB/sec, 16Gb mem, nvidia gtx970 4gb, so i doubt it’s my system thats at fault here. Too bad i had to wait over 6 weeks for this patch and it does absolutely nothing. I guess this is the end for me.

Blokker_1999
    Participant

I also ran into another problem today. I’ve had multiple trains going the wrong way, ultimatly halting all traffic on a line. Usually, when I make changes to a line i check to make certain this does not happen, but it now is also happening on lines that i did not touch at all. It’s costing me millions and is becoming really frustrating because the only way to notice is to keep an eye on your lines and their anual profit/loss. By the time you notice it has gone wrong, you know the cleanup will take about 5 years in the game. Not a problem when you got the cash to spare, but certainly no fun at all.

medopu
    Participant

RonMaster:  nvidia gtx970 4gb

4GB 😀

4GB 😀

4GB 😀

fransgelden
    Participant

That is a evil way to tell someone his graphics card is a joke. 😮

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by fransgelden. Reason: emoji
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by fransgelden. Reason: word change
    Skiwee
    Participant

@medopu lol I was thinking of that interview as well xD

so far my experience on performance has been with out issues from the start. Game features have improved a lot in telling you whats wrong. I haven’t had much time to play though since I finished one play-threw(1850-2050) I’ve been more busy modding.

Blokker_1999
    Participant

On a sidenote, the 970 does have 4GB? count the memory chips if you have too. No one ever said all 4GB is equal in speed.

Xanos
    Participant

Update (Build 5080):

The “every street is a main street”-problem is now solved for me with build 5080: Thanks UG for this quick fix even during the weekend! Also, eis_os has released a new version of his TFPatchPlus for build 5080, again enabling demolition of main connections if desired.

I did not have any CTD during my short test (about 20 minutes)

Unfortunately, the end-of-month-waiting time is extreme for me. Prior to build 5068 I had no noticeable waiting time at the end of the month in my save game. Now I have to wait 5-10 seconds each month.

Cheers, Xanos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.