New to Train Fever, worth buying?

Home Forums General Discussion New to Train Fever, worth buying?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Person012345
    Participant

As far as the future goes, the dev team seem to be pretty good about releasing patches every 2 weeks or so and they do appear to be at least a little responsive to user feedback. However, a lot of the issues I have with the game are pretty big and may not ever get fixed (I don’t have full confidence at this time). I still can’t really recommend it, I can’t even really play it until the traffic issues are sorted out, but it isn’t exactly a waste of money either (at least if you have a good PC). If it remains as it is now then it may not have the longevity you would want but nor is it without merit.

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@Person012345 to solve your traffic issues have you covered the suburbs with bus routes to give the sims an alternative to driving. The routes will probably lose money but will keep cars off the road, feed the sims that use those routes to increase train profit and free up your main bus routes from traffic. I don’t think people grasp this point – the heavy traffic means your transport network is not good enough and introduces a challenge late in the game if you don’t develop mid game properly.  It is a part of the game and not a bug – and can be managed with proper city bus coverage.

Gasolene
    Participant

Most of the issues people identify are with the UI.  It is a bit clunky but the game itself is great.  Alot of people refer to features they would like to see, or things that don’t work the way they want as “bugs”.  An actual bug is something I have yet to encounter in my 30 hours of gameplay.  It’s very stable, and despite what you hear, my trains run lie a well oiled machine.

Most of the “bugs” or “glitches” pointed out are not bugs at all, now to pick on Richy…

Buggy industries some produce some don’t … duno why.

This is based on demand, if an industry isn’t producing, it’s because there is no demand within 20 minutes of travel.

Cant have long industrial connections or mixed.  Cant have 2 oil wells supplying one refinary… It just doesn’t work ..

I have very complex freight connections with trains that are almost never empty, I assure you you can have 2 oil wells supply one refinery but that’s not very efficient.

I have no understanding of how the signals work.

Signals work like “home” signals protecting a block of track.  Placed right, trains move flawlessly like clockwork.

the monetry system in this game blows chunks so much..

You mean maintenance cost?  I agree playing hard is almost too hard.  I downgraded to Medium where I have amassed millions with a vast network of passenger and freight service.

Connecting town with passenger trains is a fast track to ruin. Why don’t towns people use the trains?…

My towns have hundreds waiting at the station, you need to use real world hub+spoke networks for buses, trams, trains to get passenger service under 20 min.  An express tram that runs through downtown with spoke buse routes to deliver people to the train station fast.  Then high speed service to neaby towns using nothing but a single line and passing loops is all you need.

still can’t place roads on tracks..  No auto renew of all vehicles.  I don’t really care to much about animated crossings n all .. I just want the bugs fixed.

Those are not bugs, a bug is when something works in a way it was not designed or intended.  Those are UI inconveniences that make the UI a little cumbersome but livable.

Edistein
    Participant

@Gasolene: It is very true, what you write. Just in one point I disagree:

I agree playing hard is almost too hard.

The first map I played with easy mode for a short time. Than I switched to hard – and would never play easier than that again. You can construct enormous network and have giant cities if you do it well. Only performance is the limit…

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@Gasolene absolutely agree.

However, one bug that stands out is that the Open Wagon can carry its capacity of coal AND iron at the same time.  Bit of a cheat to have the same train full of one cargo type stop at a station and fill up with the other before going to the steel works.

Another  thing I noticed that I would call a bug is that the auto spacing of trains (advertised as a feature) does not work properly in some circumstances. The reason is that the loading/unloading time is so long that a change in the number of people waiting at a station changes the spacing of trains more that the auto-spacing algorithm can compensate. Can be  fixed by tweaking the auto-spacing algo, allowing trains to load faster since they have many doors or allowing the player to set a minimum wait time at stations.

Gasolene
    Participant

one bug that stands out is that the Open Wagon can carry its capacity of coal AND iron at the same time

Agree, that’s probably something they will patch, but certainly not a game stopper.

Another  thing I noticed that I would call a bug is that the auto spacing of trains

Buses and trucks will space out evenly, providing they are all the same speed.  However, there is no auto spacing for trains, and I’ve never seen it advertised.  Auto spacing of trains is something you don’t want (plus it would take away the enjoyment of signaling).  If a train has “auto spaced” then runs into stop signal or a full unload/load, now you have a late train for no reason that slows down the entire line.  Get your trains under control with signals.  Correctly placed signals will have your trains run like clockwork.  Isn’t track control part of the fun of creating a complex rail network?

I run 4 prototypical lines using single tracks, passing loops, express tracks, and over 30 trains of varying speeds and capacities.  My trains run like a well oiled machine.

Person012345
    Participant

@Person012345 to solve your traffic issues have you covered the suburbs with bus routes to give the sims an alternative to driving. The routes will probably lose money but will keep cars off the road, feed the sims that use those routes to increase train profit and free up your main bus routes from traffic. I don’t think people grasp this point – the heavy traffic means your transport network is not good enough and introduces a challenge late in the game if you don’t develop mid game properly.  It is a part of the game and not a bug – and can be managed with proper city bus coverage.

No. In real life, if public transport is not good enough the entire city is not instantly gridlocked. When there is decent public transport, there are still traffic jams (it doesn’t matter how good your network is, some people choose their cars) and that then causes your bus service to be bad which causes more people to take their cars and it’s a spiral. Your argument that this is not a bug is ridiculous fanboying. It’s not a “bug”, but it’s a problem. Most of my bus services lose money already feeding into my highly profitable train services. I have 70 – 80%+ ridership in most of the towns on my map and the traffic jams are still horrendous, both between cities and, more problematically, within cities. Besides which I don’t want to have blatantly unrealistic shit just because the game mechanics are broken. I don’t want to upgrade every single road to a 4 lane road with bus lanes just to make anything work. Right now, every other road option is completely useless. I already know how to play the game, but when you have multiple towns of >1000 population, the game breaks and the traffic is just absurd. Quit trying to make excuses.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Person012345.
    Tattoo
    Participant

I would not waste your money on this game. I read about the bugs before I bought it and thought,’Well they’re not that bad and it sounds and looks good, so it should be alright’. Boy, was I wrong. I wished I would have waited longer. I don’t even play the game any more cuz it just sucks. It’s been over a month now and now I just come here to see if they fixed anything

The industries are a joke and when you get in the later years, it’s just a terrible gaming experience. The fanboys here will tell you how great it is because you can make mods for the game and all but good mods don’t make up for the wrongs that make it un-enjoyable to play. And I didn’t even mention all the error messages you’ll get when building track and/or roads or anything else

If you’re looking for a sequel to the Transport Tycoon games, I’d suggest you look elsewhere because this isn’t it. The only thing resembling TT are the depots that I can see. This seems more like CimCity gets trains because it surely isn’t Train Fever like the title suggests.

Of course, opinions are like assholes and there are many in this forum which will lead  you to believe how good this game is when it actually blows. You might like running passenger trains tho since it’s not that bad doing that until the lag gets bad. I like cargo trains myself. But in the end, you’ll feel like you have a fever because you’ll get sick of all the problems while playing this game. And YES, it WAS released too soon. I paid $34.00 to beta test this screwed up game.

Good luck on your decision. I hope you’re happy with which one you make….And if you do decide to try it, start reading to figure out how to play it because they have yet to release the game manuals they said that will be released soon after the games release. It’s been 3 months and still no manuals, game or modding.

Oh yeah, play SpinTires instead. It’s a lot more fun driving thru the mud…

medopu
    Participant

Of course, opinions are like assholes and there are many in this forum which will lead..

you to believe this game is bad.

Which it isn’t. Some love it, some hate it, some are okay with it. There are problems with this game, but i’ve had to play lots of worse games than this.

I read the reviews before buying the game and I actually expected worse out of it. It’s after all not much more than a hobby project by some 4 train enthusiasts.

uzurpator
    Participant

Tattoo: You seem to be quite butthurt.

First of all, this game is the first TT like game since Locomotion. Not much to choose from. Coincidentally, Train Fever is also worlds better game then Locomotion as well.

But, it is not goddamn Transport Tycoon. It follows different gameplay principles and models reality differently. That is why “industries do not work”or whatnot.

But, lets be honest here, nobody denies that Train Fever has issues, mostly about game balance. There are some annoying things, like inability to build road over a track. And of course, there are issues with performance, gridlocks and whatnot.

But it takes a few mods and about 20 minutes to solve most of those, and make the rest managable.

So, nobody denies this game needs some work. But even in spite of that it is very enjoyable.

BTW – my current game has 54 trains, single integrated system, and about 60 buses in cities. Frame rate, with my performance mod, is fair ( about 30-40 most of the time ). Trains make decent cash due to balance mod.

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@Gasolene

However, there is no auto spacing for trains, and I’ve never seen it advertised.  Auto spacing of trains is something you don’t want (plus it would take away the enjoyment of signaling).  If a train has “auto spaced” then runs into stop signal or a full unload/load, now you have a late train for no reason that slows down the entire line.  Get your trains under control with signals.  Correctly placed signals will have your trains run like clockwork.  Isn’t track control part of the fun of creating a complex rail network?

I’m pretty sure it is advertised and I just did a test that 100% confirms train auto spacing – easy to test on a simple 2 track line and stations in middle of nowhere so no un/loading – put signals everywhere TTD style then release 2 trains at the same time from same depot and wait. You can see the second train wait longer for no reason (auto-spacing) in a station until they are perfectly separated and then perpetually pull into the stations at each end at the same time. The long un/loading times coupled with chaotic passenger arrival at real stops screws this up.

Therefore back to my original point there is a bug where auto-spacing paired with the un/loading times you get the unexpected behaviour of the auto-spacing not working at all.

I’m very well aware of how to space trains with signals, I’m not someone who plops them every train length TTD style, but sometimes it is not possible if lines share tracks as you cannot space one line without a knock on effect on the other as all the trains obey the same signals. That knock on effect is undesirable if my spacing on one line delays another – yes I can build more tracks but that’s a silly solution if they’re both same priority trains – I want the train to space while waiting in it’s platform as devs intended.

Tattoo
    Participant

uzurpator: You seem to be one of the assholes I was typing of. FU2.

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@Person012345 then destroy the roads between towns like some people do if it annoys you so much. I’m not making excuses I gave you advice, I don’t have a problem with the game as it is otherwise I wouldn’t play it – or I would have to call it a chore otherwise.

Tattoo
    Participant

@Traininfluenza – That was a good find and also a very good test you did. Very good idea. This could be why it takes some trains longer in a station to move out that people dislike.

EDIT: Some love it, some hate it, some are okay with it.

I was on the fence with this game at first. I was giving them the benefit of doubt and waiting to see what they did to fix the problems until I reported my game crashing for the very first time after one of the last updates. I explained what happened how I left the game running without any problems in like 1910, started it in 1900, and went to sleep. When I woke up, the game crashed while I was sleeping so I reported it and Micheal basically said I did something to cause the crash and that I should figure out why it did it. So I’m wondering what I did to make it crash when I was in bed sleeping.

Now I hate it because of that. I could never recommend a game like this to someone else and never will. Any game that has to rely on mods to make it work close to correctly isn’t worth the money they’re asking for it. USER BEWARE!!!

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@Tattoo it’s not very long, about 2 seconds at most in my test until they space out. I don’t think it’s a significant overhead, like I said I think it either needs to be increased or the un/loading times decreased to allow the auto-spacing to work properly. Or just adding a minimum wait time that can be specified by the player but frankly I don’t want the micro management – I’d be happy with the un/loading speed increase and profits decreased to keep the balance. In addition to giving the auto-spacing a bigger wait time if needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.