New to Train Fever, worth buying?

Home Forums General Discussion New to Train Fever, worth buying?

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    simonmd
    Participant

Richie, youre right, the balance is TOTALY wrong, however, there has been a mod that has been out for some time now that fixes it. Its called strangly, the ‘balance mod’ and is here – http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/535-Balance-Mod-UPDATED/

To me, the game is unplayable without it and it also adds a bit more variety to the rolling stock in the early years too.

gGeorg
    Participant

There is an easy option for those who cant find proper train route, but ruin the game by disbalance mode? … well., there is also a mode which have positive maintenance. So you just buy 100 engines leave it in depo and you get tons of money steady.

However, the cargo trains are insanely profitable. I play only small maps due to performance issue, … currently have about 15  trains, 200cars&trams. Anuall income about 30M. Where 20M comes from 4 cargo trains. Its medium difficulty mountain map.

The game has a steam sticker “casual” its mistake. It has quite deep gameplay. Its has a steep lerning curve, and lack of a guides so you could have a feeling the game is unplayable. Consider it as an old school-hard core game, you need to find out how does it work first, then play 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by gGeorg.
    uzurpator
    Participant

gGeorg: You might want to try the Balance Mod before calling it otherwise.

You see, when you try to run a train with 20 cars in balance mod ( actually, that would be closer to 40-50 cars in BM ) then you will quickly notice that Ae 4/7 is not capable of pulling it above 40 km/h. 600 ton trains tend to do that.

Balance mod forces you to use several trains on most routes, because it has lower capacity on most carriers. More vehicles means higher frequency, which means more cargo and faster production increases. Instead of using two big trains in normal game, you’d use six in BM. The cost is similar, but the end result is dramatically different.

Anyhow – even your example is kind of odd. You claim using 20 car trains. That requires industries with very high production. Try to build them to that level. It is kind of difficult when a simple 4 car train will cost you 500k to run.

BTW – the dual capacity bug is awesome for trucks. You can abuse it to have trucks carry 3-4 loads all the time by using daisy chain of stations near crucial industries. You can, in fact, use the simple fact that trucks carry everything and arrange their routes to run loaded 80% of the time.

gGeorg
    Participant

40 wagons in Balance mod? Sounds magnificent, but I don’t thing it fits to the stations. For longest platform its about 20-25 wagons. Depends on type. I would use even longer trains in vanilla, but graphical glitch cutting longer trains make me mad. Yay, that’s a good request – Put a train length on the detail card of the train. Just next to power and weight.

Riche
    Participant

@simonmd

I’ve had the Balance mod installed since last week, yeah it does help alot. Makes TF alot more playable.

The balance mod seems pretty buggy though.  No charge for electrication of tracks, Electric trains run on tracks that are not electrified. Is this a feature?

Upgrading tacks to high speed is very expensive … I don’t mind this though.

The biggest peice of advice I can offer anyone starting this game is to choose an industry in the middle of 4 or 5 towns then feed them all with goods from that one industry.

Thanks for your help

Rich

gGeorg
    Participant

” advice I can offer anyone starting this game is to choose an industry in the middle of 4 or 5 towns then feed them all with goods from that one industry.”

That is one of funny ways how get bankrupt. 🙂

1. Industry grows steady 1 point per month. It keeps the line with two city, maby 3. Combined grow demand of 5 cities is higher than a single industry can make.

2. You are paid for transporting stuff. The longer the route is better, as long as it fits to 20 minute rule. On the small map, I can recommend transport goods across the map. From one side to another one, 120km speed is so-so to deliver on time.

uzurpator
    Participant

Riche – both are features.

Electrification is clumsy and the game offers way too narrow choice of vehicles to make it a strategic decision. Once Crocodile comes along, you have to electrify. Catenary was made free because of eye candy.

High Speed Track was made expensive to encourage conversion of those stretches of the railroad which trains can actually travel at 120+ km/h.

gGeorg – I wanted to illustrate differences. 20 car train in regular TF is matched with at least two 20 car trains in BM. There is a kicker tho. 20 car freight train at the end of the game would weigh about 1600 tonnes. YOu would requre alot of locomotives to handle that. So in result a single 20 car train in regular TF is kind of replaced with 3-4 10 car trains in BM.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.