New to Train Fever, worth buying?

Home Forums General Discussion New to Train Fever, worth buying?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Person012345
    Participant

@Person012345 then destroy the roads between towns like some people do if it annoys you so much. I’m not making excuses I gave you advice, I don’t have a problem with the game as it is otherwise I wouldn’t play it – or I would have to call it a chore otherwise.

Oh yes, remove the roads between towns. What realism. What a perfect meshing of gameplay and immersion. And not that helpful because it’s traffic inside towns that I have the most issues with (since I use trains between towns, although yes, inter-town traffic does travel through towns and so contributes).

Of course you’re making excuses. I don’t care if you’re happy playing the game with broken parts of it, exploiting other unrealistic and unintended mechanics like deleting roads between towns. That doesn’t mean that an integral part of the simulation isn’t broken.

vinkandoi
    Participant

I am loving it

Partyschreck
    Participant

exploiting other unrealistic and unintended mechanics like deleting roads between towns. That doesn’t mean that an integral part of the simulation isn’t broken.

Yes, that´s it. And if you show your opinion, that you think that most of the features of the game are useless, because you are making hundreds of millions on hard level the way the game teached you, the TF Fanboy Community tells you, that you don´t understand the game.To play the game effectively becomes painful and boring.

Arguments against are nothing but excuses.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Partyschreck.
    TrainInfluenza
    Participant

Always make me laugh how insulting and angry people get about a game. Other people clearly enjoy this game as is despite what you think. If you’re so superior and this game is below you “with most of its features useless” then go play something else no one is forcing you.

Person012345
    Participant

Again, being a ridiculous fanboy. The OP is asking whether the game is worth buying. I put my opinion out there and if you care to remember I wasn’t even that scathing in my first post. Overall I can’t recommend it yet because of the lingering issues. You’re the one who was saying it was fine because you can use absurd workarounds, I for one certainly wasn’t saying the game was worthless or terrible.

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

You’re the one who was saying it was fine because you can use absurd workarounds

I didn’t, please read my post at the start. I said it was my opinion when played properly the traffic isn’t an issue, my opinion is as valid as yours to the OP. The other poster then had a go at me and said the game is no fun, I suggested he just delete the roads then if he doesn’t like the traffic. I don’t delete the roads myself because when I play the game the traffic is not an issue – I even upgrade the intercity roads.

NeighborKid
    Participant

I love it, but how can a game in todays age not have the ability to support multicores.. I got 6 cores.. with 1 pushin it to the limit.. so laggy late game, on a big map..

Person012345
    Participant

False. Your post was this:

@Person012345 to solve your traffic issues have you covered the suburbs with bus routes to give the sims an alternative to driving. The routes will probably lose money but will keep cars off the road, feed the sims that use those routes to increase train profit and free up your main bus routes from traffic. I don’t think people grasp this point – the heavy traffic means your transport network is not good enough and introduces a challenge late in the game if you don’t develop mid game properly.  It is a part of the game and not a bug – and can be managed with proper city bus coverage.

You’re trying to say the only reason I’d have traffic is because I’m not playing properly. This simply isn’t the case and “delete the roads between towns” is not an acceptable alternative to the traffic simulation working properly. The traffic issues are something that a potential buyer should be aware of. They don’t occur because of legitimately inadequate service, they occur because the traffic flow is broken.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Person012345.
    fransgelden
    Participant

I’ll say the game is worth purchasing if you really into trains and want a little economy accompany it. I don’t know why people say the game is full of bugs, because I don’t experience any bugs. Everything is working as it should. I’d rather say the game lack features, needed features for the simplest tasks, but workarounds are available. Building roads over rails is an example of a feature missing. The finance lack some charts and more detailed information, missing feature. Rail crossing, missing feature. Robots at intersections, missing feature and so on.

I see this game as my own little model railroad and like messing with it, because this is a sandbox. You try what you can and build some awesome and complex rail layouts and at the same time make it economically feasible.

If you want additional features like extra loco’s, wagons, stations, depots, gameplay features, cargo features, etc. You must go to train-fever.net

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by fransgelden.
    LB
    Participant

I have to admit that I was initially hoping that this game would be the next Open TTD. In that respect, I am a bit disappointed because, at the moment, it falls very short of the mark.

However, the fact the devs are continually improving the game and that they seem to actually listen to the community in regard to suggestions gives this game great potential.

The game is very playable, up to a point. Certain features do break the game a bit, like poor performance in the later years, ridiculously high running costs and no auto-replace feature for old vehicles. Some of these issues can be remedied by modding, but the average person shouldn’t need to mod the game to make it playable.

As previously mentioned, the devs are very active in fixing these shortcomings and when they do, I would probably highly recommend this game.

Having said that, I have spent about 170 hours in this game and have actually enjoyed playing it, even with its shortcomings. So, I guess if you want a model railroad builder, get this game. If you want an extremely realistic, well planned and thought out transport sim, wait until the problems have been addressed, which will eventually happen. Also, if you see it on sale, even before the problems are fixed, I’d recommend getting it then.

Riche
    Participant

@medopu

Your wrong.

Try this one simple rail route

oil well —- > oil refinary  –> town

<—————————————

The train 8 oil tankers & 6 goods wagons… no lorries just one train

It dosn’t work. Thats as basic as this game gets. You will be bankrupt pretty quick.

When you have train capable of carrying 50 barrels of oil and all it picks up is 2 every run it kind makes me sad.

Ok you can use lorries which fixes stuff .. but I dont want to use lorries on long runs. Short runs fine.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Riche.
    Dolph
    Participant

@Riche

It all comes down to how big the citys demand for goods is. If it’s high enough the line will work just fine, but if it’s not, just transport goods to an additional city or two. It does however a bit of time for the industries to start producing enough to make a profit, but usually not long enough to make you bankrupt. Atleast, this is my experience. Works fine for me.

btw. don’t use that many wagons in the beginning, they’ll be hard to fill.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dolph.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dolph.
    coujou
    Participant

Have you noticed? It has been more than a fortnight since the last patch… Yesterday was friday – the day everyone expected a patch which should solve performance issues by multithreading, should implement advanced switches, timetables and everything this community wishes! Guys, things are gettins serious, the devs took the money and do nothing!

So this game is really NOT worth buying.

(this is sarcasm if some weirdos wouldn’t get it)

Riche
    Participant

Just tried again failed. Mixed trains is no no most of the time, the exception is coal ore steelmill. Then connect the steelmill via road to a town or a seperate rail link which is expensive.  You have to seperate the routes. The cost of the trains compared to income they generate is a joke. If you turn on the cargo and watch the cargo blocks why do they sod off down the road when there is a rail link? Do you find yourself deleting bits road to try and force the cargo on to the station? I do.

What I find I am doing is this: Building lots of little truck routes to generate enough income to cover to loses generated by the rail links.

I am not saying this is a bad game but theirs something wrong with the game balance. YMMV

Rich

gGeorg
    Participant

@Richie, you are correct that there is a lot of issues. The cargo trains are not definitely on the list, in fact they are  far most profitable trains. I have a train with 13 stakes cars + 7 cargo cars. Use 100km electric engine in 1950. The train makes 4,5M annual netto income.  Train value is about 2,5M, so it repays investment in less than year. Personally I think its too easy. It all depends on the track curvature and range of stations.

Mixed Coal&Ore line is super profitable because of the bug where the 8 units wagon could load 8 units of coal AND 8 units of ore which is nonsense.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by gGeorg.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by gGeorg.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.